50d just died, trip in a week, what should I do?

Hi all, not really sure where to post this...
So I go to gather up all my gear for my first solo wedding job, charged batteries? Check! Clean lenses? Check! Formatted cards and plenty of them? Check! Working 50d? Check... Wait WHAT! The thing wouldn't turn on!:( thinking it was just the battery grip that I had attached to it I feverishly remove the grip and try to turn the camera on with a single battery. Again no good:( I make a few quick google searches, try to find a solution, however all to no avail. I'm already well past the time that I was supposed to leave for the before shooting and all, so I quickly barrow a friends 7d and go off and shoot the wedding. All went well at the wedding thankfully. But when I got home the camera was still not turning on, so I took it over to the repair department at my local camera store, they teated out the batteries and played with several other batteries. Again no good. My next step of action is to send the camera to canon and see what is wrong with it. But of course that will take several weeks to get the bid and make any possible repairs( though from what I've seen online the repairs are going to cost more than I payed for the camera, which will probably lead me to scrapping the poor little 50d:(. So herein lies the dilemma, I have a two week long trip to Grand Teton NP for which I leave in a week. I was originally going to buy the new Tamron 150-600 for the trip but now my main camera is down and most likely out. There is a pretty good possibility that I could use a friends 60d on the trip if I had to though I would rather not. So the real question to this rather long story us what should I do? Buy a 7d/70d to replace my 50d without knowing if it is really going to be unfixable? Or buy the Tamron and use the 60d and just hope that the 50d is fixable( I have an old T1i if the 50d is out so I wouldn't be without camera)
what would you guys do?
Ps Sorry for long the long question.

Ya I agree about the IQ. But I really need to stick to a crop body due to my current lens line up( my wide lens is the 10-22mm)
But the 6d has been in the back of my mind for a while now and it just so happens that the Canon rebates end on the 7th. It's at least a good time price wise to buy a new camera... sigh...
I'll keep an eye on the deals though.

Upvote 0
Mharwood16 said:
Huh 70d over 7d..?On the specs the 7d seems to be on par or above the 70d. May I ask why you would choose the 70d over the 7d? Is it the newer tech of the 70d?

specs pretty similar
70D better sensor
no crap noise at low iso that the 7D has
flippy touch screen (i wish my eos M had one)
better video and video AF on 70D if you care

Upvote 0
Mharwood16 said:
All good points wickidwombat, thanks
What do you all think about a used 5d mark 2? I'd still have a problem with the 10-22 but I think I could make it work. Is if even worth considering the 5d 2?

5Dmk2 is still an awesome camera especially if you can get a good deal on it
if you want a wide angle consider the samyang 14mm it's cheap and MF though but at 14mm and stopped down you dont need to worry with AF

do you have a general zoom like the 24-105 that will go on the mk2?

if the 5Dmk2 and 6D price was not too different i would go with the 6D though

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Mharwood16 said:
Ya I'd still like a 5d 2. Got to look into it a little more. From what I saw the 5d 2 and 6d are about $300-500 apart, of course used vs new. I don't have a good general purpose lens like the 24-105:( my next widest lens is a 50mm

Usually, you can get quite a nice deals with 6D+24-105L kits as well, just watch for good deals/sales :)

Upvote 0
Khalai said:
Mharwood16 said:
Ya I'd still like a 5d 2. Got to look into it a little more. From what I saw the 5d 2 and 6d are about $300-500 apart, of course used vs new. I don't have a good general purpose lens like the 24-105:( my next widest lens is a 50mm

Usually, you can get quite a nice deals with 6D+24-105L kits as well, just watch for good deals/sales :)

If you really have the Full frame bug
this is gonna be your best bet IMO + a samyang 14 if you want UWA although its all a bit over your budget but hey you can sell the 10-22 to put towards it too

Upvote 0

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
Sorry to read that your 50D won't start up. As you probably have CF cards you might be better off to buy a 5D Mark lll.
That would be your best Full Frame option for weddings, BIF, sports and movies of those activities. No sense thinking about what cameras are coming out next. Put the money you were going to spend on the Tamron and borrow the rest if you can. You'll be working weddings to pay off the 5D lll but you'll have the best camera to do so as the 1DX isn't a
possibility for most of us. The 16-35 2.8 may be a future purchase as well. If the 5D lll is just too much now then get the 70D. Good Luck solving this dilemma.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Why not rent a body for the trip? One you are possibly looking at to help you make a decision?

I would skip the 5DMKII and the 7D the 70D and 6D are better in most of the key areas, worth the extra money and also you get a warranty with your recent case I wouldn't be without it! Especially if you are shooting weddings you really should think about a backup so you don't panic.

The 5DMKIII is a better all round camera especially with weddings the focus points make life so much easier, no focus and recompose with fast glass. But the 70D also has the ramped up 7D system which is also really good.

I use a crop and a FF combo, I have a 5DMKIII and an old 40D which I still enjoy shooting with although I would like to upgrade it at some point.

If I were you I would stick with crop for the time being, FF is great but if you want to use a 150-600mm you will nearly get 1000mm on the long end with a crop camera.

FF is so much better for weddings much better ISO performance for low light venues, but crop is great in good light, smaller, more zoom with tele lenses etc

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
wickidwombat said:
Mharwood16 said:
Huh 70d over 7d..?On the specs the 7d seems to be on par or above the 70d. May I ask why you would choose the 70d over the 7d? Is it the newer tech of the 70d?

specs pretty similar
70D better sensor
no crap noise at low iso that the 7D has
flippy touch screen (i wish my eos M had one)
better video and video AF on 70D if you care

However if sport or wildlife is what you want, then keep in mind that the 70D has a very good AF in live view caused by dual pixel technology, but for sports and wildlife I use on 5Diii and 7D the point extension mode and that's not available on the 70D. 70D only has 1 focus point, zone and all points. As zone is not fast enough for sports and wildlife, and 1-point is hell of a job to follow some objects.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Mharwood16 said:

Sounds like your question has been answered.

Try to get 6D if you can. Keeper rate might be low when shooting sport, but still, you CAN use it to shoot sport. The key to FF is you get MUCH-MUCH better IQ.

Likely many already said, 6D + 24-105 deal is a good start. I would add 50mm f1.4 if budget allows.

Upvote 0