5d4 video vs 1dx or 1dc video

Jan 29, 2011
I'd wager you could get much better, and more experienced, feedback on other forums, but looking around it seems the 1DX MkII (I presume you meant that as the 1DX doesn't shoot 4K) files do have a decent bit more exposure latitude, some say even more than the C-Log from the 1DC. Most seem disappointed in the 5DMkIV crop factor but if you don't require the ultrawide angles it doesn't seem like such a big loss and the difference in dof between a 1.7 crop and a 1.4 crop is nothing to worry about.

In summary,
1/ the 1DC is available more cheaply than the 1DX MkII for a reason, there is little point to it now.
2/ the 1DX MkII is the only one to have DCI 4K 60p, if you need that there is no choice.
3/ the 5D MkIV has 1DX MkII quality files but no 60p and a harder crop, if you need ultra wide angle or super narrow dof then the 1DX MkII will be better.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
privatebydesign said:
I'd wager you could get much better, and more experienced, feedback on other forums, but looking around it seems the 1DX MkII (I presume you meant that as the 1DX doesn't shoot 4K) files do have a decent bit more exposure latitude, some say even more than the C-Log from the 1DC. Most seem disappointed in the 5DMkIV crop factor but if you don't require the ultrawide angles it doesn't seem like such a big loss and the difference in dof between a 1.7 crop and a 1.4 crop is nothing to worry about.

In summary,
1/ the 1DC is available more cheaply than the 1DX MkII for a reason, there is little point to it now.
2/ the 1DX MkII is the only one to have DCI 4K 60p, if you need that there is no choice.
3/ the 5D MkIV has 1DX MkII quality files but no 60p and a harder crop, if you need ultra wide angle or super narrow dof then the 1DX MkII will be better.

Thx Private. Which forums you suggest please? I have the 1dc and the 1dx2. Keep thinking of selling the 1dc and getting 5d4 - mainly for the form factor. But it seems like if I am doing video 5d4 does not match the 1dc.

Besides for stills I am still in favour of 1dc over 5d4. I realise that blacks maybe pushed better on 5d4 but the 12fps wins for me.

Upvote 0
The micro 4/3 GH5 and GH5S is so much better to work with than the crop on the 5D Mark 4. While the crop is tighter on the GH5, you're working with a lens system designed for that crop factor, and it can work with a speed booster to create the Super 35mm look. The IQ on the 5D Mark 4 video is absolutely horrible compared to the GH5. The 5D is a much better still camera, but the video features are a gimmick.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
sanj, as you progress, please share your insights/ideas/links.

I really want to do short nature/wildlife videos of the same subject matter I typically photograph with the 1DX2. One concern is how to deal with storage on the go, given I don't want to invest more than the camera is worth in CFast cards. Right now I have a 64 and a 128 and would buy a 256 but otherwise I'll be transferring footage to the computer back at the motorhome.

Jack

Upvote 0