5Diii movie functions - realistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlexBlais

Hi all, I am new to this forum but have been lurking daily for several months now. Just having fun like everyone else, and figured I'd join the fun even though I am no professional.

Just to get things straight, I am a video guy, not photography. Not sure how much we are welcomed here but heck, these cameras are great affordable video tools.

That being said, I had a few questions and thoughts about the new 5Diii (or whatever it'll be) concerning it's new video functions. Obviously no one knows but I've read a lot of expectations and I figured getting some feedback from you guys could enlighten me.

60fps in 1080p
I know this is something a big bunch of videographers are impatiently awaiting. For myself this would be the number one feature that would make me pre-order a new body without much more convincing. But here's my thinking... If Canon hasn't introduced the 60-1080 in the 1DX, and not even in the C300 which is a new and much more expensive video-dedicated camera, why is anyone expecting it in the 5Diii? Isn't it even a little stupid to hope for?

Improved Low Light Performance
Obviously I think that is probably a sure thing, everyone seems to agree on that.

Manual Sound Recording and Audio Meters?
I guess after seeing those new photos with the mic Port we could expect more integrated audio options.

1080 HDMI output when recording?
That is something else that I am much looking forward to getting in a new body. I use a lilliput monitor and getting that 480p preview does work, but it disapoints.

Focus Assist
Just throwijg it out there... Something that would be cool to see in DSLRs. Nkt expecting it though.

What do you think? Anything else we can expect?

JustinTArthur

Photo, Audio, and Video Hobbyist
Feb 29, 2012
Austin, TX, USA
www.flickr.com
I think we'll see 60fps at 720p, which is at least new for the 5D line. Based on photos of prototypes, audio monitoring is very likely. Lack of live view audio meters would be incredibly disappointing, given their addition to the 1DX and Nikon's D800—if missing, you can bet the hacked firmwares will add them. One extra thing we can expect is multi-file recording in some shape or form; they aren't dropping FAT32 anytime soon and with the 1DX able to write to subsequent files, this is almost a given. 4K would knock our socks off, but it doesn't sound like their direction for DSLRs right now. 2K is possible, but at the rumored price point, I doubt the processing power would be enough to handle it.

My expected video disappointments:
  • No full magnified previews during movie mode manual focus (such as those found in Magic Lantern AJ branch)
  • No built-in intervalometer for timelapse.
  • No raw samples for a while after the announcement.
  • No new auto-focus capabilities during recording.
  • No improvement to elementary automatic gain control option.
I'd be happily shown wrong on any of those.

Upvote 0
P

pravkp

vuilang said:
psolberg said:
sony cameras do 1080p60. I don't see why this remains such a lacking feature in the canon lineup. even the 7 reaking thousand 1DX can't...
They dont have FF sensor in video...
most are just 3 1/3 cmos and 2/3 exmor..

I was wondering if it's because of huge amount of data processing that would be required on a FF and the associated issues like over heating, buffer limitations etc.
Just guessing here.

Upvote 0
K

kapanak

vuilang said:
psolberg said:
sony cameras do 1080p60. I don't see why this remains such a lacking feature in the canon lineup. even the 7 reaking thousand 1DX can't...
They dont have FF sensor in video...
most are just 3 1/3 cmos and 2/3 exmor..

The NEX 2011 lineup can all do 1080p at 60fps, and they all have the 1.5X cropped APS-C sensors. Same goes for the Sony A77. So your sensor size argument does not apply. 1080p at 60fps should not be out of realm of possibility for Canon Full Frame DSLRs ...

Upvote 0
It's almost certainly a data throughput issue. Right now I think the processors are the bottleneck (for encoding), but if they get even a little better it won't take long for the interface between the camera and the memory card to become the weak link (although I think you could reach 1080/60p before hitting that limit). Ironically, I think the most exciting thing about XQD as a format is that it's internally based on PCIe, which is theoretically capable of speeds well over 1GB/s (read: it won't be the bottleneck for a looooong time, it's way more than enough throughput for 4k/240p if someone could actually build a card fast enough to take advantage of it).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.