5DS scores at DXO **now posted**

Eldar said:
Here is a quickly processed version, done on my laptop.

Exposure +1.50
Highlights -100
Shadows +100
Whites +55
Saturation: +12
Blue luminance -35
Noise reduction luminance 25

I can live with this ...

Looks quite nice downsampled. Personally, though, I wouldn't be too terribly happy with the color splotch in the lifted shadows under the table at full size, and more importantly, in a larger print. Same old Canon slotch.... :\ I really wonder if they will fix that at some point...

Upvote 0
jrista said:
Eldar said:

Exposure +1.50
Highlights -100
Shadows +100
Whites +55
Blue luminance -35

I can live with this ...

Looks quite nice downsampled. Personally, though, I wouldn't be too terribly happy with the color splotch in the lifted shadows under the table at full size, and more importantly, in a larger print. Same old Canon slotch.... :\ I really wonder if they will fix that at some point...
Agree, but, aside from the little noise reduction i applied, I have done nothing to fix it either.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
jrista said:
Eldar said:

Exposure +1.50
Highlights -100
Shadows +100
Whites +55
Blue luminance -35

I can live with this ...

Agree, but, aside from the little noise reduction i applied, I have done nothing to fix it either.

I think that pretty much sums up a large part of my interest in Exmor in a nutshell right there! :p There isn't ever anything to fix in the first place with an Exmor. The signal is so clean SO deep, you just don't ever have to think about having to fix an issue with the data. It's clean, pristine data, stops and stops deeper than any Canon could ever go.

I don't have to think about ETTR when making the shot, I don't have to worry about clipping highlights, I don't have to worry about fixing color blotch or removing bands or recovering DR. With the Sony's I've used, it's just take the shot, adjust exposure and maybe color to taste and style...that's it! :p

The Sony cams outside of the A6000 haven't performed as well on the AF front, I still generally prefer my 5D III for AF critical applications. Very interested in the A7r II + Metabones + EF 600/4 though....really wonder how that will perform.

Upvote 0
jrista said:
Eldar said:
jrista said:
Eldar said:

Exposure +1.50
Highlights -100
Shadows +100
Whites +55
Blue luminance -35

I can live with this ...

I think that pretty much sums up a large part of my interest in Exmor in a nutshell right there! :p There isn't ever anything to fix in the first place with an Exmor. The signal is so clean SO deep, you just don't ever have to think about having to fix an issue with the data. It's clean, pristine data, stops and stops deeper than any Canon could ever go.

I don't have to think about ETTR when making the shot, I don't have to worry about clipping highlights, I don't have to worry about fixing color blotch or removing bands or recovering DR. With the Sony's I've used, it's just take the shot, adjust exposure and maybe color to taste and style...that's it! :p

The Sony cams outside of the A6000 haven't performed as well on the AF front, I still generally prefer my 5D III for AF critical applications. Very interested in the A7r II + Metabones + EF 600/4 though....really wonder how that will perform.
I was so negative to start with and almost expected to be dissapointed with the 5DSR. Instead it has proven to be quite an improvement. Still not perfect, but with all the rest that makes up a camera&lens package, I'm happy. The image I posted is clearly in the extreme end of what I do. If the point was to use it for something more than a weekend memory, I would have brought a tripod and some lights. But of course, I run into high contrast situations quite often, so I will still be eagerly awaiting the next releases and cross my fingers for the 1DX II.

I will still assess the A7R II, with the metabones also. My prime interest is manual focus with my Zeiss lenses, but I will of course also try the long whites.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
zim said:
benperrin said:
Ok I just noticed that Sporgon is now gone. Sad to see someone that was being so helpful leave the community.

+1000
it was because of a disgraceful post by someone he thought was a mod
If someone has his true identity, he should be encouraged to come back. He truly adds value.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Eldar said:
zim said:
benperrin said:
Ok I just noticed that Sporgon is now gone. Sad to see someone that was being so helpful leave the community.

+1000
If someone has his true identity, he should en ouraged to come back. He truly adds value.
He's (fortunately - up to now) still a forum member, just deleted his posts on this thread.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Maximilian said:
Eldar said:
zim said:
benperrin said:

+1000
If someone has his true identity, he should en ouraged to come back. He truly adds value.
He's (fortunately - up to now) still a forum member, just deleted his posts on this thread.

Guys, thanks for the comments you have been making. I wouldn't leave CR, simply because the cool guys here easily out weight the bad. Unfortunate that in this instance one of the bad happens to be an administrator. I'll leave the site owner to deal with that, and perhaps increase this administrators dose of evening primrose oil.

However it has reminded me that I have been drawn into posting too much, and I've trimmed some of my stuff out. And sanj, love your response ;D

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Maximilian said:
Eldar said:
zim said:
benperrin said:

+1000

Guys, thanks for the comments you have been making. I wouldn't leave CR, simply because the cool guys here easily out weight the bad. Unfortunate that in this instance one of the bad happens to be an administrator. I'll leave the site owner to deal with that, and perhaps increase this administrators dose of evening primrose oil.

However it has reminded me that I have been drawn into posting too much, and I've trimmed some of my stuff out. And sanj, love your response ;D
I'm glad that our Sporgon friend is back. :D

In fact, I agree with several points that the CR moderator did, but his words were harsh, and without politeness, as someone who had a bad day. :-\ Today is a new day, and we will continue discussing amicably, including the DR at ISO100. ::)

Upvote 0
jrista said:

DR difference between latest rebel and Sony a6000 is 1stop. Do you think, one going to see this much difference between sensors with only 1 stop extra DR.

Upvote 0
ritholtz said:
jrista said:

DR difference between latest rebel and Sony a6000 is 1stop. Do you think, one going to see this much difference between sensors with only 1 stop extra DR.

With the A6000, it is over stop (PrintDR 11.96 -> 13.14; ScreenDR 11.17 -> 12.34), plus significantly higher quantum efficiency, plus 11fps, plus a much better AF system, plus smaller and lighter (mirrorless), pocket portable (I can drop the camera and a couple lenses into the pockets of my birding slacks, which have some extra pockets on the legs).

The AF system and frame rate are the real big bonuses with the A6000. Were talking 11fps vs. 5fps, and 25/179 point AF system vs. 19 point AF system.

So, for all of you "It's the full package that counts" guys out there...the A6000 trounces the Canon options in the same price range. In every category, not just dynamic range, it delivers better. The way I account for dynamic range...at full RAW image size in Lightroom (no downsampling here, it is no longer RAW if you downsample and edit), the difference in DR is 1.17 stops.

The only thing I don't like about the A6000 is that it doesn't work as well with my Canon lenses when adapted via Metabones. I'm hoping the A6100/A7000 will resolve that issue. But it's the SOLE issue, and I only have it because of my existing Canon lens collection.

Upvote 0
jrista said:
ritholtz said:
jrista said:

With the A6000, it is over stop (PrintDR 11.96 -> 13.14; ScreenDR 11.17 -> 12.34), plus significantly higher quantum efficiency, plus 11fps, plus a much better AF system, plus smaller and lighter (mirrorless), pocket portable (I can drop the camera and a couple lenses into the pockets of my birding slacks, which have some extra pockets on the legs).

The AF system and frame rate are the real big bonuses with the A6000. Were talking 11fps vs. 5fps, and 25/179 point AF system vs. 19 point AF system.

So, for all of you "It's the full package that counts" guys out there...the A6000 trounces the Canon options in the same price range. In every category, not just dynamic range, it delivers better. The way I account for dynamic range...at full RAW image size in Lightroom (no downsampling here, it is no longer RAW if you downsample and edit), the difference in DR is 1.17 stops.

The only thing I don't like about the A6000 is that it doesn't work as well with my Canon lenses when adapted via Metabones. I'm hoping the A6100/A7000 will resolve that issue. But it's the SOLE issue, and I only have it because of my existing Canon lens collection.
Difference in DR is 1.1 (13.1 vs 12) stops. A6000 is going to write 12bit raw with 11 fps shooting. You are going to end up lower DR than even Canon sensor. But my question is, are we going to see all those advantages (The signal is so clean SO deep, you just don't ever have to think about having to fix an issue with the data. It's clean, pristine data, stops and stops deeper than any Canon could ever go) you mentioned between d6000 vs 760d sensor with approximately 1 stop DR difference.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Sporgon said:
Maximilian said:
Eldar said:
zim said:
benperrin said:

+1000

Delighted, Sporgon your one of several posters here who's work I genuinely admire, in fact to go out and try things I've never tried before namely stitched panos of different types, got a lot of fun giving that a go.
So from an amateur to a pro thanks for not buggering off! ;D

Upvote 0