6D Smart Phone control

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who haven't seen it:

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/eos_remote.aspx

Some pretty cool highlights (note the screencaps list 7D showing that this application is compatible with any wifi-enabled body).

• Control over WiFi - no cables needed (unlike Magic Lantern and DSLR Controller)
  • Full live-view remote shooting capabilities (aperture, shutter, ISO, focus)
  • Rate, delete, sort and view from phone without exposing body
  • Save image to phone, or send as e-mail from body (WiFi/4G tether?)

Possibilities:

Switching to RAW+Jpeg for a wedding shoot to allow bride/groom to instantly share classic "Kiss" or "Cake cutting" photos on FB with status change straight from phones.

E-mailing editors (small publications w/o photo editors) keeper Jpegs on-site for slideshows or low-res accompany pics.

Instagram x over 9,000.

Remote triggering for wildlife or truly candid photography (maybe over IP). The site indicates that the app:

allows connection via access points (infrastructure), but even in environments without access points, it can be used if you have just a camera and a smartphone.

That seems to indicate you can control over IP, which would be awesome. With DLNA support and the liveview streamable over WiFI, might live streaming high quality video also be possible?

Thoughts? (My first: is this in the wrong forum? It's tied to the 6D for now so I thought it logical to describe it as a feature of the body)

Canon-F1 said:
nice for some.. but i would rarely use it.

The first thing that jumps out at me is my constant frustration with having to get home before I post photos. I go shoot a protest or rally (like I did this past Saturday with the Chicago Teacher's Union strike rally) and while I'm sitting on a train twiddling my thumbs, AP, Getty, and everyone with instagram is posting first. If the phone app really works quickly and isn't too buggy it would be great to flip through 500-1000 photos and rate my top 10, transmit my top 3 via e-mail to an editor, then process the others for a slideshow in the evening.

Typically, wire service photogs crash in a hotel or starbucks, but occasionally you're out somewhere with limited access to WiFi, and this kind of thing (tethering wirelessly to a smart phone) just adds one more option.

It would just be a workflow process improvement for anyone shooting on a deadline or from a remote location with no wifi.

Upvote 0
Ryan_W said:
Canon-F1 said:
nice for some.. but i would rarely use it.

The first thing that jumps out at me is my constant frustration with having to get home before I post photos. I go shoot a protest or rally (like I did this past Saturday with the Chicago Teacher's Union strike rally) and while I'm sitting on a train twiddling my thumbs, AP, Getty, and everyone with instagram is posting first. If the phone app really works quickly and isn't too buggy it would be great to flip through 500-1000 photos and rate my top 10, transmit my top 3 via e-mail to an editor, then process the others for a slideshow in the evening.

Typically, wire service photogs crash in a hotel or starbucks, but occasionally you're out somewhere with limited access to WiFi, and this kind of thing (tethering wirelessly to a smart phone) just adds one more option.

It would just be a workflow process improvement for anyone shooting on a deadline or from a remote location with no wifi.
What do you shoot with right now? If you have camera with a SD card slot you can use the eye fi card like I do and have the photos go immediately to your phone and you can post them up on instagram, facebook and twitter right then and there.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.