7D shutter count

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the announcement of the new 70D and it being a plastic body/not weather sealed, I'm inclined to go the route of a 7D. With that said, I might be interested in a used 7D while we all wait for the 7D mkii timing/details.

My question is with regards to shutter count. Is there a specific number of shutter activation that I should be wary of with a used 7D body? 15k? 30k?

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2011
A failure can happen any time. Heat is the big enemy of shutters, as is shock and vibration. The life is likely calculated by a reliability engineer. They look at the component count, and if info is available for similar designs. Occasionally, things have lasted as long as they predicted.

When buying used, you can't know the actual history, so you have to go by the seller, and why he is selling it. A camera that is frequently carried in a car trunk would be one I'd stay away from, for example. The high temperature on a sunny day will wear out things much more quickly that at say 80 degree.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
A failure can happen any time. Heat is the big enemy of shutters, as is shock and vibration. The life is likely calculated by a reliability engineer. They look at the component count, and if info is available for similar designs. Occasionally, things have lasted as long as they predicted.

When buying used, you can't know the actual history, so you have to go by the seller, and why he is selling it. A camera that is frequently carried in a car trunk would be one I'd stay away from, for example. The high temperature on a sunny day will wear out things much more quickly that at say 80 degree.

You can find out the shutter count but not if it was left in the heat that's for sure.

Upvote 0
farmdwg said:
With the announcement of the new 70D and it being a plastic body/not weather sealed, I'm inclined to go the route of a 7D. With that said, I might be interested in a used 7D while we all wait for the 7D mkii timing/details.

My question is with regards to shutter count. Is there a specific number of shutter activation that I should be wary of with a used 7D body? 15k? 30k?

Thanks!
My three-years-young 7D has about 65k, and is still going strong.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you plan to shoot a lot. My understanding from this and other fora is that a replacement shutter is under or around $300. Not a terrible price to pay to keep a good camera going.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
I tried a few resources yesterday and I couldn't find a program or website that would give me the sitter count on a 7d. I have used astro jargon before, but alas, not compatible with the 7d.

Anyone want to point me in the right direction?
I have Macs at home, and this one worked fine for my 7D:

Canon Shutter Actuation App for Mac

Plenty of others out there if you Google for "Canon EOS Shutter Count".

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
viggen61 said:
jdramirez said:
I tried a few resources yesterday and I couldn't find a program or website that would give me the sitter count on a 7d. I have used astro jargon before, but alas, not compatible with the 7d.

Thanks. I'll give it a look when I get home. I only have Windows, but hopefully I'll find something

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
viggen61 said:
jdramirez said:

Thanks. I'll give it a look when I get home. I only have Windows, but hopefully I'll find something

It takes a bit of work but, for Windows, try this: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1058019

Upvote 0
I was also interested in the counts of my 7D. I installed MagicLantern which shows you the shutter counts with 7D FW2.0.3.

Mine has now ~26K and as mentioned earlier it is specified for 150K. However, there is no guarantee as mentioned earlier. but you could also get one at Canon's refurbished store with one year limited warranty. Not sure when they will have their next sale.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2013
The number quoted in the sales brochure is an average, you mileage my vary! My 40D killed its first shutter at about 25k (replaced under warrentee), at the time I know several 40D owners who suffered a similar fate (Err-99 then shutter failure). My 7D is now 3-years old, done about 70k and has not missed a beat. I also have to say I don't know anyone who has had a 7D shutter fail yet - guess Canon QA is getting better

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
LSV said:
jdramirez said:
viggen61 said:
jdramirez said:

It takes a bit of work but, for Windows, try this: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1058019

I'm sure it works... but downloading almost a gigabyte just seems like it isn't worth it. Thanks though.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.