8K recording options for the Canon EOS R5 leak

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
How would you mount EF-S lenses? AFAIK the adapter supports EF lenses only.
Sell those EF-S lenses and invest in some RF glass :)

From what I understand, you can use EF-S lenses on RF cameras (unlike putting them on full frame EF cameras). The camera will switch to a crop mode automatically.

If so, that would have to be done with the adapter.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
But... both of those things enhance stills, too. DGO is basically just fancy automatic bracketing for enhanced dynamic range. And a global shutter would be amazing unless you want the 20fps e-shutter burst to have crazy rolling shutter effects if anything in the frame moves.
Unfortunately, that's wishful thinking.

DGO is not bracketing. It's ADC speedup, using 2 amplifiers and 2 ADCs instead of 1 amplifier and 1 ADC to digitize the charge from the same pixel. It would be good for 20 fps at base ISO, provided that the rest of the camera can cope with the resulting data throughput... the problem is that if you are going to shoot at 20 fps, you will usually want to freeze action, so you won't be doing it at base ISO. So, those extra bits of DR in the light signal (to convert into digital) just won't be there.

Global shutter could be nice for slow-sync flash at any shutter speed, but the existing global shutter designs reduce the DR at base ISO by one stop. People that want to use this camera to shoot landscapes won't be happy.

Besides, both of them generate extra heat and increase battery consumption.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
As someone who is going to use R5 for stills (and not video) 99.9% of the time, I'd prefer it to have neither.
This is the next camera in the 5D series for Canon and it is being priced "in line" with what the previous 5D series were announced at, with a little inflation (based on rumor...). It is NOT significantly more expensive because of the video specs.

So, if the cost is about the same as any 5D series, wouldn't you rather have the features available if for no other reason than to increase resale value when you do sell it?

Upvote 0

subtraho

Birds and Macro
CR Pro
Nov 20, 2018
Maryland
twitter.com
Unfortunately, that's wishful thinking.

DGO is not bracketing. It's ADC speedup, using 2 amplifiers and 2 ADCs instead of 1 amplifier and 1 ADC to digitize the charge from the same pixel. It would be good for 20 fps at base ISO, provided that the rest of the camera can cope with the resulting data throughput... the problem is that if you are going to shoot at 20 fps, you will usually want to freeze action, so you won't be doing it at base ISO. So, those extra bits of DR in the light signal (to convert into digital) just won't be there.

Global shutter could be nice for slow-sync flash at any shutter speed, but the existing global shutter designs reduce the DR at base ISO by one stop. People that want to use this camera to shoot landscapes won't be happy.

Besides, both of them generate extra heat and increase battery consumption.

In this case, by 'basically' I meant 'simplified for the sake of brevity'. I know how it works, but the final result is not dissimilar to the final result of exposure bracketing and thus entirely applicable to stills, which was the entirety of my point. The same for global shutter - of course there are drawbacks, I was not arguing that. Your comment specifically implied that neither were of any use for stills - without any further explanation - and my reply was simply to say that wasn't entirely accurate.

Every use-case is different, and unfortunately since manufacturers insist on making jack-of-all-trades style cameras (understandably so, given sales vs r&d and manufacturing cost benefits) what may be best for landscape folks isn't necessarily best for all users of the camera. Personally, I'd happily trade a stop of DR at base iso for a global shutter, but I shoot wildlife and fast-moving birds, so my use-case and needs are different. Maybe that means that the R5 isn't the right camera for me, but it has been a long wait since the 7dii for a non-1DX canon sports and wildlife camera.

Completely agree on heat and battery, though. I hadn't considered that.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Relax...its just a term that every Canon user is very familiar with...historical definition does not matter if enough people use a word or term in a certain context to the point that everyone else understands its meaning (i.e. the word drone used to cause English majors to go into meltdown but now it is universally accepted as a term for a UAV/UAS). And yes, even based on your definition I do think it is more appropriate than ever; Canon's DSLR line has been crippled in the video department to the point to where they were no longer in the battle for consumers. The 5DIV wasn't "built to a budget" yet it has a terrible crop and it uses MJPEG for 4K, that to me is crippled; or neglecting to add 24FPS to the EOS 90D, RP, and M6 II...until enough people complained and they added it, or neglecting to add two card slots to the EOS R, or no 10 bit codec even for an external recorder for the C200, the list goes on and on.

These missing features aren't about building a camera to a budget, they are about deliberately removing features to protect some other model in the line; the end result typically being to drive customers to other vendors who did not make those choices. As a reference point Panasonic throws everything but the kitchen sink at their cameras and squeeze everything they can out of every piece of hardware in the camera...I've never seen anyone saying they got a crippled GH5, or S1H; because everyone knows the only limitations are the hardware.

Their recent mirrorless choices on the other hand make perfect sense and aligns the actual hardware with that price segment. The RP, R6, and R5 IMO fit perfectly in the lineup and have actual hardware differences which clearly differentiate the features and capabilities of each camera. From the specs that have been released so far, I haven't seen anything that indicates Canon is deliberately using software/firmware to "cripple" the hardware capabilities of the cameras.

To me, the difference in building to a budget vs crippling a camera comes down to hardware....if Canon deliberately removes software features that the hardware can support then they have crippled the camera. If they remove software features due to hardware limitations that's called building to a budget.
Next to 'cripple' I hate when someone tells me to relax. TLDR

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Relax...its just a term that every Canon user is very familiar with...historical definition does not matter if enough people use a word or term in a certain context to the point that everyone else understands its meaning (i.e. the word drone used to cause English majors to go into meltdown but now it is universally accepted as a term for a UAV/UAS). And yes, even based on your definition I do think it is more appropriate than ever; Canon's DSLR line has been crippled in the video department to the point to where they were no longer in the battle for consumers. The 5DIV wasn't "built to a budget" yet it has a terrible crop and it uses MJPEG for 4K, that to me is crippled; or neglecting to add 24FPS to the EOS 90D, RP, and M6 II...until enough people complained and they added it, or neglecting to add two card slots to the EOS R, or no 10 bit codec even for an external recorder for the C200, the list goes on and on.

These missing features aren't about building a camera to a budget, they are about deliberately removing features to protect some other model in the line; the end result typically being to drive customers to other vendors who did not make those choices. As a reference point Panasonic throws everything but the kitchen sink at their cameras and squeeze everything they can out of every piece of hardware in the camera...I've never seen anyone saying they got a crippled GH5, or S1H; because everyone knows the only limitations are the hardware.

Their recent mirrorless choices on the other hand make perfect sense and aligns the actual hardware with that price segment. The RP, R6, and R5 IMO fit perfectly in the lineup and have actual hardware differences which clearly differentiate the features and capabilities of each camera. From the specs that have been released so far, I haven't seen anything that indicates Canon is deliberately using software/firmware to "cripple" the hardware capabilities of the cameras.

To me, the difference in building to a budget vs crippling a camera comes down to hardware....if Canon deliberately removes software features that the hardware can support then they have crippled the camera. If they remove software features due to hardware limitations that's called building to a budget.

We're familiar with it because literal trolls coined it on these forums and it spread from there. Canon doesn't do anything that any other manufacturer of any product does. It's juvenile and inappropriate. Grow up.

Incidentally you're still misusing the word. You can shoot video without 24p or whatever they missed out (and we still don't know why). Not having every option for whatever reason doesn't "cripple" the camera for video, it just makes it less good at it because you can still shoot video (and the same is true of any other example you care to choose).

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 17, 2020
In this case, by 'basically' I meant 'simplified for the sake of brevity'. I know how it works, but the final result is not dissimilar to the final result of exposure bracketing and thus entirely applicable to stills, which was the entirety of my point. The same for global shutter - of course there are drawbacks, I was not arguing that. Your comment specifically implied that neither were of any use for stills - without any further explanation - and my reply was simply to say that wasn't entirely accurate.

Every use-case is different, and unfortunately since manufacturers insist on making jack-of-all-trades style cameras (understandably so, given sales vs r&d and manufacturing cost benefits) what may be best for landscape folks isn't necessarily best for all users of the camera. Personally, I'd happily trade a stop of DR at base iso for a global shutter, but I shoot wildlife and fast-moving birds, so my use-case and needs are different. Maybe that means that the R5 isn't the right camera for me, but it has been a long wait since the 7dii for a non-1DX canon sports and wildlife camera.

Completely agree on heat and battery, though. I hadn't considered that.
So brave, so confident. Nothing has been confirmed until it's announced, and confirmed.
So brave ... so confident .... but most importantly so accurate ...
Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]
Canon Rumors
May 26, 2020 at 9:35 AM

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0