A Bit of EOS 5D Mark IV & EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR2]

Maiaibing said:
daniela said:
My question is: Why cheaper? I have seldom seen an product that gets cheaper and is higher in quality and has more features, than its predecessor. ???

5DII was a huge step up from the 5D - and cheaper.

I think that this is a typical path of innovative products:
5D was the first affordable 35mm sensor digital camera in a compact package, compatibility with a large lens set and very good IQ - not only for the year 2005 - situation.
5D II came onto the market when the sensor production for these large sensors was nothing special anymore. Sensor cost dominated the prices of FF cameras 10 years ago. It was better in many parameters than the 5D and price was lower.
5D III had better subsystems like the AF and - what I read/hear, video was much better. So maybe it was more expensive compared to the 5D II.

And to often we compare nominal prices - it's much better to correct these nominal prices with a 3% inflation rate. If you do that the 5DIII was 3600 EUR (in Germany) 5 years ago - today this is the equivalent of roughly 4100 EUR.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
daniela said:
I like Canon, but the D500 is - all in one seen - an step better than the 7DII. The Af is incredible. My husband owns one. And combined with an fast prime, it beats the 7DII.
Maybe Canon will make the 7Ds AF system better

Well I got to get my 7DII a fair while back, for a lot less money. I found that somewhat useful.

Even now Id have to choose between spending ~$900 Australian more for the D500 or getting a 7D2 and having that leftover $900 to go towards said fast prime lens or the like. Great choices to have in my view.

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2011
Cthulhu said:
kevl said:
I needed a second body for this wedding season. I had expected the 5D4 to come in the Spring so I ended needing something quick. I picked the 7DII to pair with my 5D3 workhorse. This has turned out to be a fantastic decision. The camera is brilliant.

There is less room for error with the 7DII than the 5D3 but if you get your exposure right your images are going to be great. It has gone from being my backup to being used just as often as the 5D3. Frankly it is a joy to use.

If anyone is having image quality issues with their 7DII I would suggest investing in a good focus target and spending some time dialling in your AF micro adjustments and being careful with your exposure. The camera's image quality and noise performance suffers greatly if your AF is off just a bit. The softer your images are the more the noise affects them.

Hope this helps.

It is indeed a joy to use, the AF is great, it's light, quiet and very feature rich. I don't think I'd have much trouble with it shooting weddings, though an 80D seems like a better choice, but I shoot extremely fast action where light changes dramatically on a panning shot, so the exposure can't always be where you want to. I don't want to ever shoot above iso 1600 with it as it falls apart.
I've since moved on to a 1dx and couldn't be happier. They're fairly cheap second hand these days and absolute beasts if you need to keep your shutter above 1/1000 all the time.

Yes at this point I'm torn between a used 1DX or a new 5DIV next year sometime. It will really depend on what the new body offers.

Agreed on 1600. Mind you I try to keep my 5D3 at or below that as well. I will deliver shots at 3200 but only when I have to. I struggled for about a month trying to figure out if I should get the 80D or the 7DII. In the end the pro body won out, and I wouldn't trade it for the slightly better sensor in the 80D at all. In the end I'd rather not miss shots.

EDIT: Re above discussion on the D500 - the D500 is brilliant. It is better than the 7DII with the exception of DPAF. It's a generation newer... of course it is better. I'm a Canon shooter. It is not enough better to justify the cost of switching including giving up my beloved Canon glass. The 7DII exceeds my needs so it really doesn't matter to me personally that the D500 is better. I'm glad it is is better. Hopefully the next 7D will be even better because of how good the D500 is.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
kevl said:
Hopefully the next 7D will be even better because of how good the D500 is.

And that is the good side of having competition between 2 companies with slightly different strengths. Keep it coming, I say.

Having started with film and pushing ISO400 slides to get anything near usable in a rainforest I still look at the images from my 7D2 and think "What the hell is going on here...."

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
On a separate wish list note:

DPAF (Don't think this is likely)

Video Specs same as 1DX2 (fairly likely)

24MP - 28MP is just fine (almost definite)

Keep 99% the same 5D3 ergonomics (certainty)

The 5D3 is a jack-of-all-trades camera, so if video will be as big in the 5D4 as in the 5D2 and 5D3, I fully expect to see the latest iteration of DPAF. Where I think Canon will protect the 1DX2 is in the flavor of 4K the 5D4 will shoot: UHD (3840x2160) rather than the 1DX MkII's DCI format (4096×2160). UHD is considered a broadcast and "prosumer" 4K format so if Canon is going to hamstring the 5D4 at all, this would be the place to do it.

I don't see the 5D4 more than 24MP, as the 5DSR can be cropped in camera to 28MP. Someone looking for massive MP has two options they could take over the 5D4, and 24MP would be in keeping with Canon's history of small incremental MP changes for the 5DMkII/III/IV line. And as an event camera (weddings, parties, etc.), the 5D4 would need lower MP to maintain its low noise at high ISO advantage over cameras like the 7D2. I don't see more than a 6FPS burst rate, but I do believe Canon will finally take the ridiculously slow write limit off the SD card, should they choose to keep an SD card in camera, that is. Some have speculated that the 5D4 will feature CFast and CF slots, but I think CF will be obsolete very shortly, as CFast prices come down. Therefore, it only makes sense to keep an SD slot in the 5D4. Personally, I don't see why they wouldn't put two QXD slots in the 5D4. That would rock! ;)

Of course, all this is just speculation. Can't wait 'til 8-25 to see what's in store!

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
noms78 said:
The camera has already been confirmed to have internal 4k so DPAF is a given.

I don't see how you come to that conclusion. 4K is not mutually inclusive of DPAF nor vice versa. 4k is a pixel count of 8.8MP. Whether those pixels are of a DPAF variety or not is a totally separate conversation

Upvote 0

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
PhotographyFirst said:
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:
The 5D Mark IV faces increased competition from the likes of the Pentax K1

Sure, just like Toyota is facing increased competition from Suzuki. ::)
LoL. That Sidekick is coming back, just you see...
I agree because I actually bought a new Pentax K1. It lives comfortably among all my Canon gear.

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
Precisely. In 2012, the Yen was around 80:1 USD. Today it is 100:1 USD. If we were to drop the price of the new 5D4 accordingly from the 5D3 initial release, that would result in a drop of 20% (same as Yen fall against the dollar) That would make the new 5D4 about $2800. At a rumored price of $3299 given the current exchange rate, the 5D4 is actually a MORE expensive camera than the 5D3 if you reverse the exchange rates back to 2012 levels.

Based on exchange:

2012 5D3- $3500 x 80 yen = 280,000 yen
2016 5D4- $3300 x 100yen = 330,000 yen

Precisely, considering that we expect more value for the same money in a newer gadget, we should demand that the 5D4 be priced at 2799.

Upvote 0
The 24-70 f4 is...is an incredible lens! Not only is it sharp and very useful with it's IS but the macro capabilities are amazing that it completely eliminates the use of a additional lens for me. I use it on all my weddings and for the macro wedding ring shots. It's one of my favorite most used lenses and I have all the prime L lenses and L zoom lenses.

Upvote 0

Patak

Take that shot for god sake !
Nov 17, 2014
Canada
Lower price in US $$ is the reflection of the appreciation of the same currency against Yen, Euro and UK Pound. As somebody mentioned before, the price of 5DIV body under CR2 is in fact higher in the currency of the country that is producing it.

As per 24-70 F4 IS, I do not see the point when Canon is releasing the brand new 24-105 IS Mk2. Why would anyone sacrifice the focal length and gain nothing except for the lower cost of the 24-70 combo.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
JP said:
Oh great... a 3K 5DMk4... That means 1/200ths top sync speed... sloooooow shutter lag making it useless for action photography... and a slow processor.... along with two or so stops of lower ISO performance than a camera that is only 1/3 more in value... but the 7D MK2 is a camera that has all the features I want, minus the FF sensor.. that costs just 1/2 of what the "5" body is going to cost me... Thank you in advance Canon for producing another annoying camera... one that does not need a built in VG... I's going to suck..... I just know it..

Canon has yet to announce anything and you're crying kicking and screeming! you must be a joy to be around...

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2012
As per 24-70 F4 IS, I do not see the point when Canon is releasing the brand new 24-105 IS Mk2. Why would anyone sacrifice the focal length and gain nothing except for the lower cost of the 24-70 combo.

To save the money. Those who already own the 70-200 or similar lens and don't need 70-105 covered again. We don't know how much the new lens will weigh, so there may be weight savings. We don't know about image quality of the new lens, there could be distortions or vignetting not present in the 24-70.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Lurker said:

To save the money. Those who already own the 70-200 or similar lens and don't need 70-105 covered again. We don't know how much the new lens will weigh, so there may be weight savings. We don't know about image quality of the new lens, there could be distortions or vignetting not present in the 24-70.

Exactly. Plus, the 24-70's near-macro mode may be important to some people.

Also, just because Canon offers both 24-70 and 24-105 kits, that doesn't mean that both will be offered in the same markets. For example, although the 5DIII is offered in the US as 24-105 (MkI) and 24-70/4 kits, there are also 5DIII + 24-70/2.8 II kits (proper, Canon-packaged ones) available in some parts of the world...just not in the US.

Upvote 0
kevl said:
Cthulhu said:
kevl said:
I needed a second body for this wedding season. I had expected the 5D4 to come in the Spring so I ended needing something quick. I picked the 7DII to pair with my 5D3 workhorse. This has turned out to be a fantastic decision. The camera is brilliant.

There is less room for error with the 7DII than the 5D3 but if you get your exposure right your images are going to be great. It has gone from being my backup to being used just as often as the 5D3. Frankly it is a joy to use.

If anyone is having image quality issues with their 7DII I would suggest investing in a good focus target and spending some time dialling in your AF micro adjustments and being careful with your exposure. The camera's image quality and noise performance suffers greatly if your AF is off just a bit. The softer your images are the more the noise affects them.

Hope this helps.

It is indeed a joy to use, the AF is great, it's light, quiet and very feature rich. I don't think I'd have much trouble with it shooting weddings, though an 80D seems like a better choice, but I shoot extremely fast action where light changes dramatically on a panning shot, so the exposure can't always be where you want to. I don't want to ever shoot above iso 1600 with it as it falls apart.
I've since moved on to a 1dx and couldn't be happier. They're fairly cheap second hand these days and absolute beasts if you need to keep your shutter above 1/1000 all the time.

Yes at this point I'm torn between a used 1DX or a new 5DIV next year sometime. It will really depend on what the new body offers.

Agreed on 1600. Mind you I try to keep my 5D3 at or below that as well. I will deliver shots at 3200 but only when I have to. I struggled for about a month trying to figure out if I should get the 80D or the 7DII. In the end the pro body won out, and I wouldn't trade it for the slightly better sensor in the 80D at all. In the end I'd rather not miss shots.

EDIT: Re above discussion on the D500 - the D500 is brilliant. It is better than the 7DII with the exception of DPAF. It's a generation newer... of course it is better. I'm a Canon shooter. It is not enough better to justify the cost of switching including giving up my beloved Canon glass. The 7DII exceeds my needs so it really doesn't matter to me personally that the D500 is better. I'm glad it is is better. Hopefully the next 7D will be even better because of how good the D500 is.

If weddings are your thing the 1dx is not really for you, it's crazy loud and the 5d mk3 takes better photos. The 1dx mk2 on the other hand would sit nicely in just about any situation.

With regards to the d500, when I made my wish list for the 7d mk2 that's exactly what I wanted it to be.

Upvote 0