A BSI APS-C EOS R camera is coming in the second half of 2022 [CR2]

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Eos - m , finally completely death. ( if they will not come out with competition to DJI pocket )
Doesn't follow in the slightest. After all EOS-M was actually created while the 7D series was current.

If they saw enough of a demand for EOS-M to create it while there were crop sensor EF(-S) DSLRs being sold by the millions, why would they kill it just because they're creating a crop sensor RF mirrorless?

And it seems as though you hate EOS-M enough to want it dead? Why?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
The rumored/roadmapped RF 18-45mm f/4-5.6 IS STM could serve as an APS-C kit lens or a consumer/inexpensive ultrawide zoom for a sub-$1000 FF EOS R. I highly doubt we'll see an RF equivalent to the EF-S lenses. But then, I doubt we'll see an APS-C EOS R body at all.
I doubt we will see EFS specific lenses ether. Having said that adapting the EF-S 18-55 3.5 would get you a whole stop of light and more range over the rumored 18-45 4.5. Still the end of 22 is along ways away and I suspect their will be to little to late especially as we won't have confirmation that this isn't just more BS to muddy the water for another year.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
This CR rumor has ben around the tree so many times is is threadbare, but IF there is substance to such a sensor going in several cameras, that could mean a 7D2 replacement and an M5 replacement. A BSI sensor would not likely go into a Rebel replacement for cost reasons. In any case, not holding my breath.

Upvote 0
Doesn't follow in the slightest. After all EOS-M was actually created while the 7D series was current.

If they saw enough of a demand for EOS-M to create it while there were crop sensor EF(-S) DSLRs being sold by the millions, why would they kill it just because they're creating a crop sensor RF mirrorless?

Because if we keep saying the same thing long enough, eventually we’ll be right. Then, we get to say, “I told you so!” Which is the real goal in all these proclamations.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I love Canon. There's a shortage of chips and parts etc, but they somehow manage to find the raw materials to make a camera no one was looking for, while some of us are waiting for a new budget FF camera that will be everything that the RP wasn't.
Once the wafer reaches the factory, Canon can make more crop sensors out of it than full frame sensors. For the same area, Canon can make 2.56x the number of sensors, then it can use more of the wafer's area (smaller sensors allows covering the wafer closer to the edge), and the yield is higher as dust particles damage a smaller chip, leaving the other intact.

That has little effect on the rest of the camera, as there are no other parts which can be smaller, e.g. a mirror.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I love Canon. There's a shortage of chips and parts etc, but they somehow manage to find the raw materials to make a camera no one was looking for, while some of us are waiting for a new budget FF camera that will be everything that the RP wasn't.
Or...someone thinks they will make a camera you weren't looking for, and that someone told CR Guy, and he posted it as a CR2 rumor.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I don't want one either (APSc R series). But if you really think that 'no one was looking for' such a camera, you just plain haven't been paying attention. Even before mirrorless, folks wanted a 7DIII or whatever the next generation was going to be, and now they hope this is it.

I love my M50. I use it for video and a lighter rig to bring places I don't need the horsepower of a bigger DSLR or MILC. But I'm afraid the M series is on its way out too. Canon will figure out how to make an M sized body with the RF mount and an APSc sensor. Then its a single mount to rule them all.

Brian

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
the end of next year is not going to help in my next 6 months of projects unfortunately, its just too far out there.
I'm having a devil of a time just having the m6mkii consistently take sharp images. 2nd one is going back to the shop. The R series are wicked expensive as well even before the lenses...its a fun but not fun time to be coming from a 5d series, or needing a small canon aspc (no IBIS, ahrhgrgh)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If the rumor is true, that means Canon-made BSI sensors could make their way to cheaper FF cameras, like the successors to the R5 & R6.
Unless there are some major drawbacks from BSI designs - and a quick googling did not stumble on anything that indicates that - I think that we should expect to see BSI sensor in most of not all RF/EF cameras going forward.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0