A BSI APS-C EOS R camera is coming in the second half of 2022 [CR2]

D

Deleted member 381342

Stacked BSI would of course be better but any BSI will result n less noise and better low-light performance.
Not going with stacked BSI will allow Canon to use the same sensor in more affordable cameras.
Fuji has committed to making an APS-C stacked BSI sensor.
As much as I would love a stacked sensor for the rolling shutter performance, I would choose a Canon BSI over a Fuji stacked.
I am sure Fuji fans would see differently.

BSI does not necessarily result in lower noise levels and improves low-light performance. Again with the examples from Nikon with the D750 and D780 and the Z5 and Z6 we have a BSI vs non BSI sensor and both perform quite equally even at ISO 14,000. Stacked sensors on the other had have clear and noticeable differences from the moment you put your eye up to the EVF.

Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
Le
Not a problem. Canon only needs 1-2 lenses for an APS-C body: a standard zoom similar to the 15-85 EF-S and a wide angle similar to the 10-22 EF-S. For everything else, standard RF lens focal lengths are fine or even preferred. With the R system, Canon no longer has to worry about separate mounts as they can easily make those crop lenses automatically crop to 1.6 on any R body just as EF-S lenses do now.
Let's hope they do actually plan for those, and no market that aps-c sensor R camera for use to have more reach on telephoto lenses for sports and wildlife.

Upvote 0

AustrianGeek

EOS RP
Mar 21, 2021
APS-H would make more sense (and skip on smaller image circle lenses from scratch on). The slight crop would give a nice little magnification + faster readout speeds + cheaper to build sensors / cameras (just a cheaper high speed lineup of bodies like the 90D etc). At least that would make more sense than introducing APS-C again on RF mount. ^^

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm not sure about the death of the M system. It seems like the main traits of the M series that appeals to people won't be easy to replicate in the R format. And, why would they need to do that? The M series has found its niche and sells very well. It's probably a little bit like the Rebels, 99% of buyers never move beyond the basic kit they start with.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Brilliant. Does show that the pundits in this forum are always right. This must be humbling.
An actual announcement by Canon of an APS-C EOS R camera will prove those who argue against it to be wrong. A CR2 rumor is proof of nothing.

[CR2] – Good information from a known source
Even known sources that have been correct in the past may not provide perfect information from time to time. This rating means there’s a strong possibility that the information has some truth to it, but it may be incomplete and/or misinterpreted information.

Upvote 0
Unless they also make smaller RFS lenses I just don’t understand the appeal of a smaller sensor but FF lenses. Your not gaining anything, but losing IQ. You can always crop FF for more lens reach. I get that some people want a smaller compact kit for travel or convenience for casual shooting but wasn’t there a statement that Canon wasn’t going to make any RFS glass? Or has that changed again? I guess you could adapt EFS glass. They must be planning on smaller lenses for the system otherwise I see no advantage.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
An actual announcement by Canon of an APS-C EOS R camera will prove those who argue against it to be wrong. A CR2 rumor is proof of nothing.

[CR2] – Good information from a known source
Even known sources that have been correct in the past may not provide perfect information from time to time. This rating means there’s a strong possibility that the information has some truth to it, but it may be incomplete and/or misinterpreted information.
Still, fighting against it sir? Deep breaths, this has always been impending. My humble thinking.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
That would be an actual amazing camera unlike a recently released camera that show
Since Canon is starting from scratch with this mount I wonder if they would consider going to 1.5x crop for APS-C.

Hell no! I love that little bit of extra reach that always accompanies Canon's APS-C cameras

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Unless they also make smaller RFS lenses I just don’t understand the appeal of a smaller sensor but FF lenses. Your not gaining anything, but losing IQ. You can always crop FF for more lens reach. I get that some people want a smaller compact kit for travel or convenience for casual shooting but wasn’t there a statement that Canon wasn’t going to make any RFS glass? Or has that changed again? I guess you could adapt EFS glass. They must be planning on smaller lenses for the system otherwise I see no advantage.
My sentiments exactly.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Eos - m , finally completely death. ( if they will not come out with competition to DJI pocket )
Or, maybe one of the other bodies this sensor is coming to will be an M. :unsure:

The delays in the APS-C lines might reflect the limits in the prior sensor technology and BSI gives Canon some new opportunities in these lines.

Upvote 0