A Canon camera has shown up for certification

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Yes, as time goes on there continues to be a distinct lack of confirmation about the R6 ...
I agree, I think we will see the R5 first, and an R6 later. I hope that the R6 will be more affordable and designed more with a bias for stills + optional video shooters. The R5 definitely seems to be designed more for professional and enthusiasts video shooters, I think Canon tries with it to recreate a video revolution like they started with the 5D Mk II.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
On another note i just realized how fast the RF lens lineup is growing: at the end of the year we should have 19 RF lenses. To put things in perspective there are only 33 full frame E-mount lenses...
Yes, Canon is really speeding up now. It is a bit like in the late 80s, when they started the EOS system with the new EF mount. Typically for Canon, they observed where the market goes and, quite late, they really give their new technology a massive go. This time, I really was a bit concerned that they finally lose the fight with Sony, but now I am happy to see them moving on. Good news for all Canon users: their gear investments do have a future.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
I think the extra power consumption by IBIS will be more than offset by a newer, more energy-efficient PROCESSOR. Think of the newly released 1DX Mk III, it has the same size battery - exactly as the predecessor but is double the capacity. Further, as I understand it, the processor is not only much quicker (unlimited buffer, basically) but much more efficient as well. So I will not be surprised if the battery life of the R5 will not be somewhere between 140-160% improvement over the current R, perhaps even as much as 200%. I don't think it will be quite that much however. You still have battery suck from the EVF, the extra communication between lens and body, and as you mention, IBIS. But I do think a my initial guess is reasonable.

I hold against the following: While the DIGIC X is most likely more energy efficient than the DIGIC in the R, the amount of processing is increasing in th R5 since more pixels need to be processed (40 to 45 mp instead of 30). 1DX III is a different case as pixel count is the same as its predecessor i.e. good chance the 1DX III will indeed have a quite higher Cipa rating.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I don’t want to make anyone cry. We need to get past this Chevy v. Ford pettiness. Sony, Nikon, Canon, Fuji... all make fine cameras and the others don’t need to fail for Canon to succeed. Me? Canon because of the ergonomics and lens quality. 5D IV, 6D II, RP, M5. But I could live with any of the others if necessary and I doubt my photos would suffer.
I think we all profit from a healthy competitiveness in the camera market. That's why I always appreciated that Canon keeps their own sensor production alive - despite they were technically outpaced by Sony for some years now (it wasn't the sensors itself but the electronics starting with A/D converters, noisy pre-amps etc.). I am convinced that this changes now and Canon returns to new strength, after some crises created by the fast decline of the point-and-shoot camera market.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
I think it's likely that the R5 is going to have an improved CIPA rating, seeing how the latest gen of Canon bodies (1DX3, 90D) seem to be quite a bit more power efficient than their predecessors.

I hold against the following: While the DIGIC X is most likely more energy efficient than the DIGIC in the R, the amount of processing is increasing in th R5 since more pixels need to be processed (40 to 45 mp instead of 30). 1DX III is a different case as pixel count is the same as its predecessor i.e. good chance the 1DX III will indeed have a quite higher Cipa rating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
My guess is the price will come in somewhere in this range $3,699USD - $3,899USD. Body only... (well, probably bundled with the EF - RF adapter).
On Monday, at my fav pro photo shop, a guy at the desk said that rumors he heard are on the 7 k$ level for the R5. I wouldn't wonder if he's right, given the fact that the R5 introduces 8k video in the FF market. But you never know, the 5D Mk II revolutionized the video market a decade ago, and was quire affordable back then.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I just want to know how well my EF lenses will work in this. There's just no way I'm going to totally switch over to RF in the near future.
I have no R, but according to what I learned from R users, the RF-EF adapters from Canon work surprisingly well. So you shouldn't worry about that.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
If they even bother with a 5D5
This is the big question: will there be a 5D5 mirror slapper or will Canon completely switch to the ML RF system? Nobody knows. But given the fact that Canon came up with a 1DX Mk III I'd guess that they will bring a 5D5, but probably this will be the final DSLR on the 5D level.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Now a 200-600 in addition to the announced 100-500 will make Sony users cry :D *
Oh and a few DO lenses...

* Or at least it will make Canon users smile :D
Shooting wildlife I recently met a lot of Sony A7R IV & 200-600mm users when I went birding. Canon and Nikon really are losing this classic market they dominated for decades. I had a good talk with a Sony user who switched from Nikon (D500) to this Sony combo and was quite happy, in particular because he could shoot with the APS crop mode and still had about 26 MP available for impressively sharp images. So, from this market's perspective, it is high noon for Canon now (and Nikon!).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
This is the big question: will there be a 5D5 mirror slapper or will Canon completely switch to the ML RF system? Nobody knows. But given the fact that Canon came up with a 1DX Mk III I'd guess that they will bring a 5D5, but probably this will be the final DSLR on the 5D level.
Canon could keep the 5DIV available (and even the 6DII) instead of bringing out a 5D5. The current price of the 5DIV is a lot lower than a 5DV would be, and I don't know how many people would interested in paying for a lot of video performance in a camera with an optical viewfinder.

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
AFAIK Nikon's wireless flash commander mode is just like Canon's: optical communication using the builtin popup flash. It's just in Canon's case that feature's limited to crop bodies only because FF Canons don't have a popup flash…
But if I remember exactly (I m not a Nikon guy)..they had it years before Canon! And a implementation of a wireless trigger is heavly about time!! to implement it now! Like wifi, gps etc... also a "light" or something else to trigger would be nice also without integrated flash.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I just want to know how well my EF lenses will work in this. There's just no way I'm going to totally switch over to RF in the near future.
Better than with a DSLR. No afma, eye-af, thousands more focus points, exposure simulation through the EVF, etc.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Shooting wildlife I recently met a lot of Sony A7R IV & 200-600mm users when I went birding. Canon and Nikon really are losing this classic market they dominated for decades. I had a good talk with a Sony user who switched from Nikon (D500) to this Sony combo and was quite happy, in particular because he could shoot with the APS crop mode and still had about 26 MP available for impressively sharp images. So, from this market's perspective, it is high noon for Canon now (and Nikon!).

Why are the 'losing this classic market'? Yes, thare will be some who switch and an increasing from nothing will always look impressive. But most CaNikon wildlife shooters shoot APS-C and they are still way ahead of Sony in this market.
With all the hype, it is easy to forget that Sony has improved their market share in FF cameras and FF only. In total ILC market share, Sony has no more of a market what than they did before launching mirrorless because FF is such a small percentage of the overall market.

Upvote 0

Ale_F

6D - 7D
Nov 22, 2018
I always preferred Canon's modern design approach over this sucking retro design fashion based on the illusion that the past was better.
I agree!
Canon's body are rounded to keep it in the hand for a long time.
Other old body style are a sort of metal edged brick without ergonomy. What's the sense?

Upvote 0