A few new Canon products have been cancelled due to the supply chain issues

"A few new Canon products have been cancelled due to the supply chain issues"

Someone that jumps in to this thread on page 4 will be completely confused.
I haven't been in this site long, but even so, there are a handful of users that I'd love to have them sit in front of me, feed them beer, soft drinks and snacks, and let them talk for hours on end. So much knowledge about so many things!
Canonrumors: Come for the rumours, stay for the organic chemistry, etymology, entomology, latin. . .

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I’m still trying to figure out “Mainland British.” I’ve been to the UK a number of times, but never did find the mainland.
It's an in-joke based on Traditional Chinese script vs Simplified Chinese script, and how the Chinese differentiate on whether you're Hong Kong Chinese, Macau Chinese, Taiwan Chinese, or from mainland China.

If comparing to American English and British English, surely American English is the Simplified English, whereas British English is the Traditional English.

Upvote 0
I haven't been in this site long, but even so, there are a handful of users that I'd love to have them sit in front of me, feed them beer, soft drinks and snacks, and let them talk for hours on end. So much knowledge about so many things!
Canonrumors: Come for the rumours, stay for the organic chemistry, etymology, entomology, latin. . .
I wasn't sure if the thread had been highjacked or derailed. I just haven't researched the nuances of the two.
Considering they were discussing ethanol at one point I assumed it was "high"jacked.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I wasn't sure if the thread had been highjacked or derailed. I just haven't researched the nuances of the two.
Considering they were discussing ethanol at one point I assumed it was "high"jacked.
Alcohol is a depressant, so does that mean the thread was LoJacked? We certainly use enough automobile analogies here...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I was once told that England speaks “Queen’s English”, New England speaks “King’s English”. Can someone verify this ??
Starting with Monty Python I have watched many British sitcoms, and have watched the movie "The King's Speech".
I am not sure either of those statements are true.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I was once told that England speaks “Queen’s English”, New England speaks “King’s English”. Can someone verify this ??
New England speaks...well, I don't really know what to call it but it bears only a passing resemblance to the English I learned growing up in California. I'm generally good with thick accents – in science, I have many international colleagues and no issues understanding their heavily accented English (which is their second or even third language). However, when a local plumber, carpenter or Dunkin Donuts cashier is speaking, I sometimes have real trouble figuring out the meaning...and even more trouble translating it to written English.

Me: "Where is that store?"

Lifelong New England resident: "Ahhh, thaaahts ahhht tawahd wuhstah."

Me: "Can you write that down, please?"

Lifelong New England resident writes: "Oh, that's out toward Worcester."

Me: :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Lifelong New England resident: "Ahhh, thaaahts ahhht tawahd wuhstah."
In the ‘90s I moved to six miles from where my college roommate’s mother-in-law lived. She found out I was nearby and used to play a lot of bridge. She called me one day to see if I would be her partner at the duplicate games on my day off, so we played for several years. She was from Massachusetts but had married and moved to NC after WW II. She sounded to me as if she had never left New England. It was most obvious when she bid “fo’ hots.” She would go back to Massachusetts each August to visit friends and relatives and get out of our heat. People up there would kid her about her Southern accent she had acquired.

Upvote 0

USMarineCorpsVet

Bird/Wildlife Photography
Jul 2, 2021
I don't want to get into a political debate, but I do wonder who those hundreds of political leaders are and what poor economic decisions they've made in the past two years. An unexpected pandemic spread across the world. At the outset there was no cure, no effective treatments and no immunization from the virus. Today, there are several highly effective vaccinations available, in no small part due to political leaders who committed financial resources and offered incentives to companies to expedite research and testing. The medical community has developed a number of effective treatment programs that can mitigate the impact for many patients. The pandemic is still with us and it has disrupted supply chains and led to shortages in many areas, that have also been exacerbated by unforeseeable events.

At the same time, a worldwide financial meltdown has been prevented largely because of government spending. The stock market today is stronger than anyone expected it to be. Unemployment has been kept to a minimum despite the economic disruption of the pandemic. Thanks to the aggressive response of political leaders, the United States has, for the first time ever, established financial support for families that will lift hundreds of thousands of children out of poverty.

Across the western world, we are seeing governments and people finally taking the first tentative steps to acknowledge the systemic racism that has plagued us for centuries.

That's not to say that there are not political leaders who have build their careers on divisiveness and bigotry. There are. And people need to reject those leaders.

But, the single biggest detriment to progress seems to me to be coming from individuals who buy into conspiracy theories and refuse to take modest steps like vaccination, out of some bizarre and flawed idea that they have a right to endanger and infect others.

/RANT OVER
"I don't want to get into a political discussion...". Then don't! Most people come here to read about Canon Rumors and not some political propaganda.

• Haha
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
The Cinema products are now less competitive also. Blackmagic, RED, GoPro.... you can go on and on.

Canon's loss to Nikon with the Z9 vs the R3... really puts a lot of pressure on the R1.

If I were Canon, I would drop the way too heavy video emphasis and concentrate on the R1 being a "Photographer's Camera"

They will need 80MP at 15fps to blow away the Z9

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The Cinema products are now less competitive also. Blackmagic, RED, GoPro.... you can go on and on.
Haters gonna hate. Maybe your babble will have some significance if Canon starts losing market share to their competitors.

Canon's loss to Nikon with the Z9 vs the R3...
What loss? Oh, you mean the one in your mind. No one really cares what goes on in there (if anything).

Upvote 0