A fourth unreleased Canon camera has appeared for certification

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
In your experience, does Canon have a long history of releasing successor models at lower prices than their predecessors? Particularly when inflation is high?

Meanwhile, I recommend some dextromethorphan for that cough. When the R5II launches at a higher (or at least, not lower) price than the R5, you may want some of the L stereoisomer of the above to dull the pain. ;)
For the most part, the name 'methorphan' refers to a racemic mixture of the D (dextromethorphan) and L (levomethorphan) stereoisomers. where the D isomer rotates plane-polarized light to the right (dextro) while the L isomer rotates said light to the left (levo).

The D & L stereoisomers are said to be enantiomers (stereoisomers that are the same in every way (connectivity-wise) but differ in the way they rotate plane-polarized light, due to the fact that their atoms are arranged differently in space).

A pair of enantiomers are mirror-image isomers that are not superimposable on each other, and are related to each other in the way that your left hand is related to your right hand.

Racemic mixtures contain a 50/50 mix of both D and L molecules and therefore do not rotate plane polarized light.

While there is no L stereoisomer of dextromethorphan; there is an L stereoisomer of methorphan: levomethorphan (the mirror image of dextromethorphan).

Of note here is that while a pair of enantiomers undergo identical chemical reactions with achiral reagents (i.e. generally speaking, those with no stereocenters or plane of symmetry)...living things (including humans) are full of chiral molecules that possess many stereocenters,

Therefore, pairs of enantiomers (the D form and the L form) can react very differently when allowed to react with chiral molecules in our bodies.

Hence, dextromethorphan is found in cough syrup while levomethorphan is considered an opioid and a Schedule II narcotic, and, to my knowledge, has not been marketed in the USA.

=====

The molecule that goes by the name of thalidomide exists as two stereoisomers, R & S (this is why people hate organic chemistry; R & S are a different way of categorizing a pair of enantiomers...somewhat analogous to D and L).

For thalidomide, the R-isomer is a sedative and the S-isomer is a teratogen; use of thalidomide samples by pregnant women to relieve morning sickness that had both R and S isomers present, resulted in severe birth defects. It is thought by most scientists that the S-isomer was the bad actor in the birth defects.

Upvote 0

clearlyed

R5, R5c, C200, c500 and loads of glass
Apr 20, 2020
incolorstudios.com
Suspense ran out a while ago for the cinema line. Let’s clear something up quickly, I am a canon shooter, I am a working professional, I have a do use other systems.

The issues for consumers:

- canon have stoped development on EF glass so they are all in on the new mount ( which is a few years old now). Rf lenses are typically Betty than the EF counterparts but there is no full cine camera to put them on. C70 yes but it’s a halfway house. So we invest in the glass but no body that works.
- c500/300 are great but they are behind the curve now and why would you buy a camera which cannot work with the newly developed lenses. Makes no sense
- So if you want to shoot with new glass (which canon keeps selling us) canon shooters are left with the the R5c or c70. Both pretty mid range.

Issue for csnon

- the is no longer a question about if people should switch systems. Too late soooooooo many people have.

- canons only saving grace was that there profession Red camera that used the mount. But that’s going to change no Nikon bought them.

- canons brand has been weakened and now represents the best consumer grade cameras not the best professional cameras. It took years to build the strong brand and it’s going to take years to get back in the game.

Solution
Cabin launches full range of cameras that makes sense. Not a random mix and match line.

- c700 top of the line FF large cine body. 8k. Global shutter.
- c500 - FF nothing missing.
- c300 -s35 nothing missing
- c70 - s35 box
- c50 (R5c) DF box

Do this and they have something.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
For the most part, the name 'methorphan' refers to a racemic mixture of the D (dextromethorphan) and L (levomethorphan) stereoisomers. where the D isomer rotates plane-polarized light to the right (dextro) while the L isomer rotates said light to the left (levo).

The D & L stereoisomers are said to be enantiomers (stereoisomers that are the same in every way (connectivity-wise) but differ in the way they rotate plane-polarized light, due to the fact that their atoms are arranged differently in space).

A pair of enantiomers are mirror-image isomers that are not superimposable on each other, and are related to each other in the way that your left hand is related to your right hand.

Racemic mixtures contain a 50/50 mix of both D and L molecules and therefore do not rotate plane polarized light.

While there is no L stereoisomer of dextromethorphan; there is an L stereoisomer of methorphan: levomethorphan (the mirror image of dextromethorphan).

Of note here is that while a pair of enantiomers undergo identical chemical reactions with achiral reagents (i.e. generally speaking, those with no stereocenters or plane of symmetry)...living things (including humans) are full of chiral molecules that possess many stereocenters,

Therefore, pairs of enantiomers (the D form and the L form) can react very differently when allowed to react with chiral molecules in our bodies.

Hence, dextromethorphan is found in cough syrup while levomethorphan is considered an opioid and a Schedule II narcotic, and, to my knowledge, has not been marketed in the USA.

=====

The molecule that goes by the name of thalidomide exists as two stereoisomers, R & S (this is why people hate organic chemistry; R & S are a different way of categorizing a pair of enantiomers...somewhat analogous to D and L).

For thalidomide, the R-isomer is a sedative and the S-isomer is a teratogen; use of thalidomide samples by pregnant women to relieve morning sickness that had both R and S isomers present, resulted in severe birth defects. It is thought by most scientists that the S-isomer was the bad actor in the birth defects.
Reminds me of my old friend Kappa Cornforth who used to write very amusing limericks about chemists and chemistry including one which had something along the lines of "a chemist who slid down a staircase that was spiral and ended up with an *rs* that was chiral".

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I'd never put Sigmas on a Leica. Leica's strength is the lenses, it would be like putting Nangkiang (?) tires on a Porsche instead of Michelins.
Don't you know my silliness by now?
In all seriousness, some American cafés will make their crêpes with egg substitute, soy milk and gluten free flour. It explains a lot, doesn't it?

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Don't you know my silliness by now?
In all seriousness, some American cafés will make their crêpes with egg substitute, soy milk and gluten free flour. It explains a lot, doesn't it?
Stop that immediately, I'll get culinary nightmares. I still can't forget the "coffee white"horror (what is this crap) and the "sorry, we don't have real milk for your coffee". This is what hell food must look like!
Edit: I found some wonderful places (one in Charlotte) where they even refused :love: to sell deca. Coffee :coffee: and pastries were first class. But you've got to spend some time searching...

• Haha
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Stop that immediately, I'll get culinary nightmares. I still can't forget the "coffee white"horror (what is this crap) and the "sorry, we don't have real milk for your coffee". This is what hell food must look like!
Edit: I found some wonderful places (one in Charlotte) where they even refused :love: to sell deca. Coffee :coffee: and pastries were first class. But you've got to spend some time searching...
If you find yourself near a place that has Malaysian cuisine, give ‘white coffee’ a try, it made me realize how boring coffee is in other places :)

Upvote 0
Canon moves at the speed of a glacier. Sony is really turning up the heat.
Completely anecdotal but I was dropping off my film at the dropbox of my local camera store two weeks ago and struck up a conversation with the purchasing manager. I specifically asked him about the Canon v Sony thing and his thoughts mirrored yours. Canon still moves like it's still 2014 and they still have a stranglehold on the DSLR market. In the past five years, he's seen much more people come in already knowing they want a Sony A7 based on what they read/saw online, so he sells them a flavour of A7 to suit their needs. The split of EF users going Sony mirrorless instead of upgrading to RF is also, alarmingly, pretty even.

He reckons most newer and younger photographers go Sony over Canon to the tune of 5:1- and it doesn't look like Canon is doing anything to fix that. In their mind they were number one a decade ago, they're number one now, and surely they will still be number one a decade from now- right? It's their way or the highway (Nikon) but that's obviously not the case given the strides Sony, Fuji, Lumix, and even Nikon have really made in the past few years.

I'm a Canon fanboy, I've been on team Canon since the F1 and saving up for my very first Rebel so many years ago so I am here for the long run but darnit do I wish we had something similar to the A7S/FX3 or A7CII (or a ZF!).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm a hybrid R5 shooter and are really happy with it, except for some projects where overheating kicks in on longer takes. I'm sure they will do better on the R5 II. One thing I'm also really looking forward to is open gate video recording. More and more cameras are coming out with that. Namely Panasonic S5II, Blackmagic cameras and more. It is really helpful when needing to shoot both vertical and horizontal at the same time without having to crop too much for the vertical. It's the bane of my existence to have to shoot for both aspect ratios, but that is the world we live in.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'm a hybrid R5 shooter and are really happy with it, except for some projects where overheating kicks in on longer takes. I'm sure they will do better on the R5 II. One thing I'm also really looking forward to is open gate video recording. More and more cameras are coming out with that. Namely Panasonic S5II, Blackmagic cameras and more. It is really helpful when needing to shoot both vertical and horizontal at the same time without having to crop too much for the vertical. It's the bane of my existence to have to shoot for both aspect ratios, but that is the world we live in.
I've like to have open-gate for extra stabilization headroom in post, I'm not steady handed and macro distances make that even worse.

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Meanwhile, I recommend some dextromethorphan for that cough.
DXM hasn't been sold in Sweden for 25 years and has been on the national narcotics list as class 5 (no sale, no prescriptions even though not internationally regulated, carrying a box of medication for personal use through customs not to be reason for intervention) since 2008. Weird times we live in!

• Wow
Upvote 0