A new camera not named the R1 is coming in the 2nd half of 2021 [CR2]

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
Three years after its initial release, it would be great.

Just take the EOS R and give it:
- slight bump in MP, about 32-34 MP
- 10 FPS with full auto-focus
- maybe IBIS (depending on pricing)
- Joystick, no Touch Bar (although I like the Touch Bar...)
- one extra customizable Button (I'm always missing one )

And yes, I know there won't be an "EOS R Mark II", but I honestly believe that there will be a successor with a different naming scheme. RP and R don't fit in with R5/ R6 and the upcoming R1
R7 would be fine. I'm ok with 30mpx. Would like to have ibis. Joystick instead of the Touch Bar. That's about it. I'm fine with the rest of the R as it is.

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
Canon should produce something like R2 – a flagship camera with the best specs with almost no compromise, relatively compact in size (R5 size), money is no object. Just for marketing purposes. Give it to those youtubers for free. And it would bring a lot of people to Canon.
I can see a lot of people buying Sony cameras (mostly A7iii) just because their favorite youtuber uses 7Siii or A1

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
You can expect the R1 released prior to the Summer Oltmpics opening ceremony July 23rd. Admin originally missed the R5 by a year also. Canan has always released its 1Dx prior to the summer Olympics. You can expect the same. Likely will be deluvered to the Olympic venues first, just as they did in Rio, except no need for shipping.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Honestly, I imagine Canon isn't worried about releasing the R1, or whatever it'll be called, for the Olympics. The R5's closest competition is the Sony A1, not the other way around, and the 1DX mk III is still one of the best cameras ever created for sports and wildlife.
The R5 is the 5D replacement. The R1 the 1Dx replacement will be deluvered to the Olympic venues as always. The ultimate showcase for any high performance sports camers camera is the summer Olympics. The Canon flagship will be there. And it won't be then 1DX2

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
Considering it is long overdue, I would expect this to be the high-mp body, the successor to the 5dsr, not because of demand, but because it is overdue. Also a high megapixel count REALLY turns heads in this market (when admittedly there is a lot more at play than high MP, including ISO quality, buffer speed, pixel density issues, overheating, and burst speeds.) After owning a 5DSR, and dealing with its cons as a commercial shooter, I will pass on a high-mp body. BUT: I would love to see any Canon body with a BSI sensor or a variable low-pass filter. The Sony RX1Rm2 almost won me over to them, except that the RX1 camera is a sealed compact that isn't weather-sealed. Also, Sony is not a camera company, they are a consumer product company, and maybe worst of all, their interchangeable lens full frame mount is too tiny, built for a DSLR APS-C, not specifically a back-focused mirrorless full frame. (It would be like if Canon had designed the RF full frame mount around M or EFS lenses. Because of the massive RF mount size, Canon will always rule the day with glass when compared to the dinky E-mount.)
Besides a 5DSr equivalent (R5SR?), it could also be an aps-c RF body in line with a 7d. I have no clue why people want a prosumer aps-C that is the same body size as a r5, it makes no sense to me, but people sure seem to want that big body with the tiny sensor. That can't be about price any longer since the wonderful RP is only a grand.
I am excited about the photo future. Sony is making great innovations, and Canon needs that to stay up-to-date, since all Nikon has done since 1987 is play catch-up with the hallowed EOS lens system. Canon should be worried still about Sony, yep, but they should also just ignore clueless Nikon, who have moved their manufacturing to cheapo land as they begin what I think is a death spiral of irrelevance. In my worthless opinion, the entire market depends on glass and the mount size, followed by bodies and features and lastly, sensors.
Hope this isn't too troll-ish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Canon is not going to release anything until everyone has an R5/R6 first ;-) Likewise, sony is not releasing the a7iv until every fanboy has an s3.
"Everyone"? The R5 user base and the other two high end cameras are different user bases. The R5 is the 5D replacement. Those that shoot with the 1dx2 or 5D + 1dx2 arent the same as those that shoot with 5D only. Canon doesnt depend on fanboys. A high megapixel one and its sports camera that are most always released during Olympic years. The showcase of the sports camera. No other event is comparable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Canon doesnt depend on fanboys...
Actually, they do. Canon (and all the other camera manufacturers) are increasingly dependent on enthusiasts with disposable income to sustain their business. The old user base of professionals is shrinking and is now too small to sustain a market for 1 series bodies.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Maps

EOS M7 (please)
Jan 10, 2021
You can expect the R1 released prior to the Summer Oltmpics opening ceremony July 23rd. Admin originally missed the R5 by a year also. Canan has always released its 1Dx prior to the summer Olympics. You can expect the same. Likely will be deluvered to the Olympic venues first, just as they did in Rio, except no need for shipping.
You’re definitely using good, solid logic from the past, and you absolutely could be right (I wouldn’t bet against it); but… with this and almost every piece of news/speculation coming out of the imaging world lately, I really question whether any of that precedent matters any more. Even before Covid, the market was in the midst of some tremendous upheaval. I’d be careful about assuming that something that was true 5 years ago means anything today.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
"Everyone"? The R5 user base and the other two high end cameras are different user bases. The R5 is the 5D replacement. Those that shoot with the 1dx2 or 5D + 1dx2 arent the same as those that shoot with 5D only. Canon doesnt depend on fanboys. A high megapixel one and its sports camera that are most always released during Olympic years. The showcase of the sports camera. No other event is comparable.
Olympics is last year's news already. Corona saw to that. Lots of events will be marred by only the second best being there. No need to rush anything. Existing super telelenses will do the job with the R5 and updated DX leading the way.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Actually, they do. Canon (and all the other camera manufacturers) are increasingly dependent on enthusiasts with disposable income to sustain their business. The old user base of professionals is shrinking and is now too small to sustain a market for 1 series bodies.
Exactly. And Canon has said so themselves.

Upvote 0
Due to COVID-19 related parts supply issues, release dates are unpredictable. The auto industry is reportedly being hit by a worldwide semiconductor shortage. I don't know what other industries are impacted by that.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Three years after its initial release, it would be great.

Just take the EOS R and give it:
- slight bump in MP, about 32-34 MP
- 10 FPS with full auto-focus
- maybe IBIS (depending on pricing)
- Joystick, no Touch Bar (although I like the Touch Bar...)
- one extra customizable Button (I'm always missing one )

And yes, I know there won't be an "EOS R Mark II", but I honestly believe that there will be a successor with a different naming scheme. RP and R don't fit in with R5/ R6 and the upcoming R1
R3 akin to EOS 3 which was a badass film boody

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
All I want for Christmas is... EOS R mark II
Yep. No plans to purchase anything more expensive than that so I couldn't care less. Will happily replace my current R with one even if the R loses a ton of value as a result. I just want my R with IBIS and a useful control to replace the touch bar. They can even ditch the top LCD and magnesium body for all I care.

Upvote 0