A new Canon DSLR seems to be getting teased on social media by a Canon ambassador

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I don’t see anything about prototypes there, but if they’re bringing out two cameras in 2020 I’d bet they have fairly mature working prototypes.

Yes, certainly, and I presume he’s teasing the rumored “sports” R model here. But that one’s not a 1Dx2 replacement according to what we know, rather a ”little brother” like the 7D2. So I’m sure there’s some sort of a catch here.

Indeed, I wonder if it’s entirely a good idea to tease like that, leading half the internet to think there will be a 30fps full-res burst mode, only to be disappointed by the reality when the camera launches.

Upvote 0
30fps burst rate would mean roughly twice the throughput of the 1DX2, all things being equal. I think it's safe to say that that's not going to happen. Not without a catch anyway. If I had to guess it's similar to the 4K frame grab feature in the 1DX2 but stores the JPEGs separately instead of packaging them in an MJPEG container. Maybe it can even do RAWs. But reduced resolution, almost certainly.
The 1Dx II used a Dual Digic 6+ processor. Canon have moved on two models later to a Digic 8...so if a Dual Digic 8+ then yes it's feasible. 1DxII 20.2*16 = 323 mp/s. A Dual Digic 7+ should be good for a 1.4x increase...so that's 452mp/s (28mp @ 16fps or 22.6 mp @ 20 fps). Using the same historical formula, a Dual Digic 8+ should be good for 1.4x that...633 mp/s...which is insane processing through put. 30 fps @ 21mp.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I took another look at some of those posts, and he's saying it isn't a 1DXiii. Check out these comments attached. A lot of his stuff from earlier this year were with an EOS R, so maybe it is some sort of new mirrorless body...

Yeah...Andy is very good at yanking peoples chain. He's a nice guy...quite amusing but best in small doses....

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Very curious posts. I don't understand the use of "motor drive." No digital camera uses or needs a motor drive. Motor drives being bolt-on accessories means he could be referencing a new type of grip/camera combo. Or, he could just be misusing the term. Also, looking at the images of the tiger and the cuckoo, I'm trying to reconcile his claim they were shot with a 300 mm lens. They seem awfully close for that focal length (dangerously close in the case of the tiger), which has me wondering if its an APS-C camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

liv_img

EOS R5, 5D Mark IV
Feb 7, 2011
I think nobody would like this, but maybe is an Olympus OM-D E-M1X: He says is a mirrorless, he says 30 photos/sec, he works only with a 300mm/4 (Like Zuiko Pro 300mm/4, equivalent to 600mm, good for tigers and cuckos in flight), and he is crossing commentaries in his Facebook with Jari Peltomaki, Olympus ambassador in Europe for years. And in one photo in Facebook he is lying on the ground with a small camera on his hands with flat sides pentaprism, like Olympus. Hope is not true, as I would prefer he is testing a new Canon R Sports.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Based on rumors it's more likely that the 1DX3 will be a DSLR and there's no flagship mirrorless body even remotely ready for testing. Conjecture is based on available evidence, not just random ideas.
A 1DX Mark III has to be a DSLR, or it would not be a 1DX Mark III.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
This one mostly, among a couple other older ones. But besides rumors, what Canon has actually brought to table (the R and the RP) seems to indicate that they are far from achieving 1D-level throughput with continuous DPAF autofocus, never mind 30fps full-sensor shooting with full AF.

I'm somewhat confused by the candidness of these tweets. Typically Canon beta testers have kept really quiet about the hardware they're testing, and are no doubt heavily NDA'd.

I would suspect that this is Canon looking at future Sony a9 etc. and wanting to assure canon users that there is a real pro camera being tested right now. If too tight lipped for too long too many will jump ship and then it is hard to get them back. Just ask Nikon that is still struggling after Canon crushed them with the EF system. Nikon assumed that their pros would stick with them yet they were abandoned in droves until their pro market was left to rich amateurs rather than the pros along the sidelines and at major events.
It sounds like canon is trying to get ahead of that mass exodus.

Upvote 0
What about a hybrid camera that has OVF but - while the mirror is up - can present an EVF for situations where you do not want a slapping mirror or need DPAF through the viewfinder (EDIT: forgotten video which is maybe important for journalists)? Or if the mirror speed is the limiting factor for fps? Would my old dream come true? There was a patent which might describe such a solution too.

Very flexible VF system + soft migration path for DSLR shooters ...

While such a solution is complex and expensive it might be swallowed by the generally high price level of the 1D x series.

Just my 2 ct.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I think nobody would like this, but maybe is an Olympus OM-D E-M1X: He says is a mirrorless, he says 30 photos/sec, he works only with a 300mm/4 (Like Zuiko Pro 300mm/4, equivalent to 600mm, good for tigers and cuckos in flight), and he is crossing commentaries in his Facebook with Jari Peltomaki, Olympus ambassador in Europe for years. And in one photo in Facebook he is lying on the ground with a small camera on his hands with flat sides pentaprism, like Olympus. Hope is not true, as I would prefer he is testing a new Canon R Sports.
maybe someone should ask him if it is Canon? he can't say model, but maybe he can confirm brand...

• Wow
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I took another look at some of those posts, and he's saying it isn't a 1DXiii. Check out these comments attached. A lot of his stuff from earlier this year were with an EOS R, so maybe it is some sort of new mirrorless body...

Whaaaaat? This seems awfully direct. He seems to be saying that there is no reason for a 1DXmiii to exist, which points to a pro Canon mirrorless body being ready to go :D

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

Oh man, that would be brutal.

Upvote 0