A new Canon DSLR seems to be getting teased on social media by a Canon ambassador

I got dream last night ,maybe its 32mpixel M5ii with new Ef-M fluorite and DO element 500mm 5,6 what weights half kg and 20cm long.
Kit Price 2k.
ohh missed earlier comments ok 300mm f4 10cm long and 0,5kg :p

===

While Canon seems right now to be scattershotting it's camera offerings with lightly-featured cameras mated to good glass, if I was Canon management I would be FAR MORE WORRIED about cameras that can do things like the attached photos which were taken off SMARTPHONES !!!! (this one is an oldie but goodie Nokia Lumia 1520!)

If a smartphone with a TINY SENSOR can do this, IMAGINE what's going to happen to the lower end of the MILC/DSLR market when Sony introduces their 2/3rds inch and APS-C sensor xPeria Smartphones?!

Then add on that new upcoming Sony Medium Format Sensor equipped combined-operations 50.3 megapixel stills/8192x4320 pixel Video camera coming out soon enough!

If I was Canon, the worry lines would be deeply furrowed by what Sony is bringing to the table for the LOW END and the HIGH END of stills and video imagery!

Again Canon, you NEED to catch up on large sensor smartphones AND full-featured smal-form factor MILC/DSLR !!!
P.S. Canon is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED !!!!!!

Attachments

• Intense Flowers - Perfect Bokeh.png
    Intense Flowers - Perfect Bokeh.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 162
  • Intense Flowers - Delicate Detail Macro.png
    Intense Flowers - Delicate Detail Macro.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 204
  • Intense Flowers - Singularity of Yellow.png
    Intense Flowers - Singularity of Yellow.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 166
  • Intense Flower Colour - Deep Pink.png
    Intense Flower Colour - Deep Pink.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 169
  • Intense Flowers - A Bokeh of Leaves and Trees.png
    Intense Flowers - A Bokeh of Leaves and Trees.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 179
  • Intense Flowers - White, Purple and Green.png
    Intense Flowers - White, Purple and Green.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 166
  • Intense Flowers - A-Conflict-of-Foreground-and-Background.png
    Intense Flowers - A-Conflict-of-Foreground-and-Background.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 158
  • Intense Flowers - Riot of Colour.jpg
    Intense Flowers - Riot of Colour.jpg
    911.6 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Not long so ago sony’s A7R sensor was released with a spec sheet max of 5FPS.

That is not the sensor read speed, those are specs which are determined by the processor and LSI. The versions used on the most recent Sony cameras are much more capable. The sensor read speed is determined by the video specs, and we know that current systems do oversampled 4K at 30fps, meaning that they read the entire sensor and downsample from that to generate a 4K image. Sony does a full sensor read at 30 fps on a 24 mpixel sensor, Samsung did it with a 28 mpixel sensor. Panasonic does 60 fps on a 20 mpixel sensor.

So, those sorts of frame rates are not unreasonable for a next gen camera from Canon. It would have to be a MILC or live view at least, however, I can't see them getting away flapping a mirror at those rates.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
That is not the sensor read speed, those are specs which are determined by the processor and LSI.

Why do you think that? These are sensor datasheets.

What processing power is brought to bear will affect how a camera will make use of it, but the sensor has an independent limit. Perhaps it has to do with the ADC architecture.

Attachments

• 952E7021-45CE-4A56-BF9D-9D2B04EE121A.png
    952E7021-45CE-4A56-BF9D-9D2B04EE121A.png
    584.3 KB · Views: 162
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Judging from his posts, this is a mirrorless. When he makes a post with his 1DX, he tags the 1DX. When he posts with the secret camera, he doesn't name the camera. But he made a comment about the benefits of the EVF...and commented on how there is no RF telephoto lenses. So it has me leaning toward it being an RF mount camera that likely has a crop mode that can shoot at a higher frame rate, or it's a sports APS-C mirrorless...the additional comments about noise performance make me really think it's an APS-C mirrorless/crop mode. Either way, it's pretty exciting.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I have seen mentioned how a mirror limits fps. While that might be true of current designs, I am not so sure the fact that it is mechanical is the reason. There are plenty of mechanical products that move at extremely high speeds with fantastic longevity and durability. Either way... may the force be with Canon.

Upvote 0
1DXIII will get hybrid sensor, shooting 16fps with mechanical shutter and 30fps with e-shutter. Not beyond current sensor tech to read a sensor that fast, well at least for Sony that is and Olympus offer 60fps with large caveats and Fuji 30fps with caveats too.

I would love Canon to get a sensor from Sony and just worry about making the camera awesome and getting their AF back to the best. Of course I couldn't really care less about 30fps, I rarely use the 20fps mode on my A9 and often shot my 1DX at 8 and 10fps. There would only be a few instances I would use such speeds. It would require huge processing power with tracking though and hard to see Canon go from 2-3fps in EOS R to 30fps within the next 3 generations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
===
If a smartphone with a TINY SENSOR can do this, IMAGINE what's going to happen to the lower end of the MILC/DSLR market when Sony introduces their 2/3rds inch and APS-C sensor xPeria Smartphones?!

Harry your smartphone shots are quite mediocre to be honest, both composition and IQ-wise, and barely can be used to demonstrate the superiority of smartphones.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Judging from his posts, this is a mirrorless. When he makes a post with his 1DX, he tags the 1DX. When he posts with the secret camera, he doesn't name the camera. But he made a comment about the benefits of the EVF...and commented on how there is no RF telephoto lenses. So it has me leaning toward it being an RF mount camera that likely has a crop mode that can shoot at a higher frame rate, or it's a sports APS-C mirrorless...the additional comments about noise performance make me really think it's an APS-C mirrorless/crop mode. Either way, it's pretty exciting.

By now it’s pretty clear that he’s talking about an Olympus camera. Nothing to see here.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
By now it’s pretty clear that he’s talking about an Olympus camera. Nothing to see here.
It's unlikely for a Canon ambassador to use and tease with a non-Canon gear, unless he's broken up with Canon already.

It appears that he’s no longer listing himself as a Canon ambassador so he’s moving on to the next company to pay him to shoot. LOL

The cryptic nature of his posts really had me going and I looked at all the details, but I didn’t read all the comments. He appears to be testing some new Olympus lenses that haven’t been released either...or he’s adapting Canon glass. With a speed booster it could be a little monster for sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

This shot definitely makes me think it could be an E-M1X + 300 Pro lens. The heavily ringed bokeh on the branches at the bottom is very characteristic of the Olympus lenses. The E-M1X doesn't do 30fps with C-AF/AI-Servo though so it's definitely not a sure thing.

Upvote 0
Harry your smartphone shots are quite mediocre to be honest, both composition and IQ-wise, and barely can be used to demonstrate the superiority of smartphones.

Hmmmm....perhaps you could so eloquently describe to me in your own words as to WHAT specific issues are with my photos that are so mediocre in terms of composition? They ARE MERELY flower photos. What could one possibly do to elevate them in your professional estimation?

The IQ part is up to the phone not me! A Nokia Lumia 1520 is from 2013 so I would say for its time, that phone's IQ is actually quite outstanding, if a bit too highly colour saturated!
Please do elaborate or at least SHOW ME some OUTSTANDING PHOTOS from you so that I may learn from some of the best in the business!

Upvote 0
It appeas that he’s no longer listing himself as a Canon ambassador so he’s moving on to the next company to pay him to shoot. LOL

The cryptic nature of his posts really had me going and I looked at all the details, but I didn’t read all the comments. He appears to be testing some new Olympus lenses that haven’t been released either...or he’s adapting Canon glass. With a speed booster it could be a little monster for sure.

He's probably testing the Olympus 150-400mm f/4.5, it's got a built in 1.25x TC which explains the 500mm shots.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon periodically dumps ambassadors and some ambassadors jump ship. Scott Kelby was a Nikon guy until he became a Canon guy. I would not be at all surprised to learn that Mr. Rouse is using a micro four-thirds camera for these shots. As I mentioned earlier, the pictures look to be too close up for a full frame camera and even too close for a APS-C body.

Upvote 0