A new Canon Speedlite has appeared for certification

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
When this has come up before, the people on this forum who understand this stuff have said that the LPE6 battery uses a technology that doesn't work for strobes. Something about long term power vs. short strong bursts.

My guess is that it will have some type of the AI technology (auto rotating) that Canon has available in its smaller flash.

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
I once had a Vivitar flash that had a rechargeable battery in the shape of 4 AA's. So you could either use it or 4 AA's. But a flash that took an LP** shaped battery would have no way to be interchangeable with AA's. There's a reason why the camera grips come with an AA tray; if you run out of LP** power, you can buy AA's where ever you are in the world and keep going. Not so much with LP packs. So, no, they're unlikely to ever sell a flash that uses a custom shape battery.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
I totally get it that not everyone is able to pay, or willing to pay, the premium cost of Profoto gear. I have used Canon flashes for years: 430, 580, recently three 600EX-RT's, two of which I have given away. All of my Canon flashes were excellent flashes. After I bought a Profoto A1X, that was the end of my use of Canon flashes. For one thing, I love its integration with my Profoto AirRemote and wireless studio flashes. As for cheap rip-offs, a lot of them are pretty good. But compare them for consistency and color 10 years down the road and you'll know where your Canon or Profoto money went.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really like my 600EX-RT flashes, but there are a couple of things that would make me dump all of them immediately:

• first, my new RF 800 f/11 lens is a really dim lens that could need a flash to accompany it with a little more power. Especially, at more than 500 m the 600EX tends to become a little too dim. So, more power would be appreciated to illuminate the scene to help this lens.
  • With animals, but also street photography or even portraits, a purely IR flash would help in the field, not to shy subjects away. White balance might be a bit tricky, but I'm sure is doable, come on, Canon.
  • third, I find the 4xAA batteries a little flimsy to change. I would much prefer the new flash to use only one AAA battery, and a reversed-polarity compensation, so I can just throw that battery in whichever way I prefer. I would even prefer it to use CR2032 cells, but I admit they are too expensive.
  • Then, the flash needs to be much much smaller in the bag (but not too small, or I might lose it) and lighter on the camera. Also, this would make it much cheaper as less material is needed.
  • I also would like advanced-advanced AI features, eg the flash should refuse to fire if the scene isn't worth it.

Pretty much any of those features would make me swap my flashes in a flash, other than that, I guess I would stick with my 600EX-RTs.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
  • third, I find the 4xAA batteries a little flimsy to change. I would much prefer the new flash to use only one AAA battery, and a reversed-polarity compensation, so I can just throw that battery in whichever way I prefer. I would even prefer it to use CR2032 cells, but I admit they are too expensive.
  • Then, the flash needs to be much much smaller in the bag (but not too small, or I might lose it) and lighter on the camera. Also, this would make it much cheaper as less material is needed.

Four AA batteries can easily hold 8-10 times the charge of a single AAA battery, wouldn't battery replacement frequency be a problem for you?

The AA batteries take a relatively small part of the 600EX-RT flash, I doubt replacing them with an AAA battery would allow reducing its size significantly.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I really like my 600EX-RT flashes, but there are a couple of things that would make me dump all of them immediately:

• first, my new RF 800 f/11 lens is a really dim lens that could need a flash to accompany it with a little more power. Especially, at more than 500 m the 600EX tends to become a little too dim. So, more power would be appreciated to illuminate the scene to help this lens.
  • With animals, but also street photography or even portraits, a purely IR flash would help in the field, not to shy subjects away. White balance might be a bit tricky, but I'm sure is doable, come on, Canon.
  • I also would like advanced-advanced AI features, eg the flash should refuse to fire if the scene isn't worth it.

Pretty much any of those features would make me swap my flashes in a flash, other than that, I guess I would stick with my 600EX-RTs.
Sometimes referred to as the firefly flash. :LOL:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Wouldn't an LP-E6NH take longer to recycle the flash?
Possibly. It may need a different design of battery. But we don't know exactly what the LP-E6NH is capable of, it's possible part of the design is to allow it to work differently with a flash.

Upvote 0
Lithium ion battery or nothing. I won't buy the new flashes without them.

A couple years ago at the PPA convention in Nashville I asked a Canon Rep why they haven't put Lithium Ion Batteries in flashes and he stated they cannot do that because the heat was a problem. I asked him if he'd ever heard of Godox and he stated yes. I then told him they've been using Lithium Ion Batteries for a while and he just stared at me for a few seconds and then asked if I had any more questions. I guess he didn't like my question.

Upvote 0