A New Entry Level Full Frame Camera? [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ecka said:
Then why not making a FF camcorder and skip messing with the whole DSLR thing? IMHO, FF mirrorless makes a lot more sense than "cheap" FF DSLR, specially for videos, because you don't need a mirror for that at all and it would be much easier to adapt ANY lens you want. The next important thing is that mirrorless is cheaper to produce - no mirror-box, no OVF, no PDAF etc.

The obvious problem is that to really exploit the mirrorless small size Canon would need to come up with a new range of lenses. A rangefinder with a few primes(say 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm macro, 135mm) I could see but a whole new range of lenses seems unlikely to me.

If anything happens I'd say that going by Canon's current lineup its likely a cheap FF DSLR would be more likely to be held back by AF than megapixels, perhaps with no video aswell if Canon are looking to market an EF video cam.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
moreorless said:
ecka said:
Then why not making a FF camcorder and skip messing with the whole DSLR thing? IMHO, FF mirrorless makes a lot more sense than "cheap" FF DSLR, specially for videos, because you don't need a mirror for that at all and it would be much easier to adapt ANY lens you want. The next important thing is that mirrorless is cheaper to produce - no mirror-box, no OVF, no PDAF etc.

The obvious problem is that to really exploit the mirrorless small size Canon would need to come up with a new range of lenses. A rangefinder with a few primes(say 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm macro, 135mm) I could see but a whole new range of lenses seems unlikely to me.

If anything happens I'd say that going by Canon's current lineup its likely a cheap FF DSLR would be more likely to be held back by AF than megapixels, perhaps with no video aswell if Canon are looking to market an EF video cam.

Well, I don't need small size FF mirrorless and I hope Canon won't make any. I want a normal size FF mirrorless with all the buttons and dials, vari-angle LCD, comfortable grip with a big and powerful battery inside, wireless flash control + a bunch of adapters for using any lens available. It is as simple as that ;D

Upvote 0
Why do you want it mirrorless? Have you ever watched in one of these EVF?
I tested the best actual EVF this week (NEXN EVF, the same than alpha77): it still lags far far behind a good FF OVF! 8)
Colors are so so, dynamic is very poor, and when you move the image get blurry (I get 60fps is not enough, or processing is too weak).
Today I tested the hybrid OVF/EVF from the Fuji X100. It is already much more interesting and appealing. :D

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
YoukY63 said:
Why do you want it mirrorless? Have you ever watched in one of these EVF?
I tested the best actual EVF this week (NEXN EVF, the same than alpha77): it still lags far far behind a good FF OVF! 8)
Colors are so so, dynamic is very poor, and when you move the image get blurry (I get 60fps is not enough, or processing is too weak).
Today I tested the hybrid OVF/EVF from the Fuji X100. It is already much more interesting and appealing. :D
I want it mirrorless mostly because of the lower price and lens adapting ability. I prefer OVF over EVF too, but I could live without any of the two. Manual focus optimized LiveView would be enough for me, for what I usually shoot. It won't be a camera for sports anyways, but if you do need a view finder then you could use something like Zacuto Z-Finder. IMHO, problem solved. ;)

Upvote 0
koolman said:
With all the new bodies, advancements, and systems pouring into the market, it would make allot of sense for canon to provide an affordable FF body - with a ~$1,500 price tag. This will open the market to many enthusiasts (like myself) who want the high end of IQ - but are not going to pay thousands of $$ on a body - that with the fast moving market - might be somewhat obsolete in less then 18 months.

This would also prompt enthusiasts to invest in L lenses which are geared for FF.

I'd add that it could also potentially change the nature of the FF market bringing it closer to Canons crop setup.

Something like....

$1500-2000 - New entry level with old 5D mk2 sensor and new processor.

$3000-4000 - 5D mk3 with new FF sensor, new processor and 7D AF.

$7000-8000 - Flagship with new sensor and duel processor.

Much more room for users to potentially upgrade though the models that way.

Upvote 0
K

KittenMittens

I really hope this is true. I bought a used D60 about two years ago as my first DSLR, but the AF on it is terrible especially in low light and I primarily shoot indoors. I've been itching for a full frame camera and if it's focused on ISO performance over MP and is somewhat affordable I'm all over it. I'll just have to find out who to steal money from. ;D

Upvote 0
S

smartin53

You know, one thing people forget is just because the 5D exists today, doesn't mean it has to exist tomorrow. Maybe canon could split the 5D features somewhat. Move the best features from the 5D and move them up to a 3D with more functions from the 1Ds. Then create a 6D/65D with less features. I would go the 65D route because then you could justify a plastic body. I would also hope that they would keep the MP down on both this round and focus on light sensitivity. My 7D does well, but a 12-16 MP Full Frame could potentially murder the market for noise free high iso pics. 3D would get the dual Digic setup, 6D/65D would get single.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.