A new EOS M camera appears for certification, with a twist

It's clear with the LP-E12 it's going to be a value orientated model. Probably the M50 shell with the new 32mp sensor. Though, I'd not be shocked if it has the overall body design of the M6mkII but with the limited physical control scheme of the M50. Can't say I'm super excited about a camera with an LP-E12 battery, but we will see! It's irritating that Canon splits EF-M models by battery. It can't cost that much more to simply use LP-E17 in all of them. If this is a direct replacement for the M50 then maybe they will completely phase out that model. Full-sensor 4K alone is enough.

As for EF-M being part of the powershot stuff, I thought that stopped with the M50? The interface of the M5 vs M50 does have a different feel in use.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
It's clear with the LP-E12 it's going to be a value orientated model. Probably the M50 shell with the new 32mp sensor. Though, I'd not be shocked if it has the overall body design of the M6mkII but with the limited physical control scheme of the M50. Can't say I'm super excited about a camera with an LP-E12 battery, but we will see! It's irritating that Canon splits EF-M models by battery. It can't cost that much more to simply use LP-E17 in all of them. If this is a direct replacement for the M50 then maybe they will completely phase out that model. Full-sensor 4K alone is enough.

As for EF-M being part of the powershot stuff, I thought that stopped with the M50? The interface of the M5 vs M50 does have a different feel in use.

I think more realistic expectations for the M50 Mark II are a 24 MP sensor, Digic 8, 4K (No Crop with DPAF), and possibly IBIS. For now it looks like Canon is reserving the 32 MP APS-C sensor for it's higher priced cameras (M6 Mark II and 90D).

The original EOS M and M2 were running EOS firmware, allowing those two cameras to use EOS accessories like the GP-E2. The EOS 3 moved to Powershot firmware, and some accessory functionality was lost. IMO, it was a mistake for Canon to move to Powershot firmware on the higher end EOS M cameras. Will be great if the M50 Mark II and M5 MArk II/M7 are running EOS firmware again.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I think more realistic expectations for the M50 Mark II are a 24 MP sensor, Digic 8, 4K (No Crop with DPAF), and possibly IBIS. For now it looks like Canon is reserving the 32 MP APS-C sensor for it's higher priced cameras (M6 Mark II and 90D).

The original EOS M and M2 were running EOS firmware, allowing those two cameras to use EOS accessories like the GP-E2. The EOS 3 moved to Powershot firmware, and some accessory functionality was lost. IMO, it was a mistake for Canon to move to Powershot firmware on the higher end EOS M cameras. Will be great if the M50 Mark II and M5 MArk II/M7 are running EOS firmware again.

I do wish Canon had made a smaller (and cheaper!) GP-E3, the M+22mm+GP-E2 looks top heavy.

Upvote 0

I have a hard time believing they would develop a new 24mp APS-C sensor when they have something capable and ready to go. I also highly doubt they would put IBIS in the M50mkii with an LP-E12 battery. If they do actually put IBIS into EF-M, I'd expect a move like they did with the R5/R6 by making a revised battery with extra capacity. So something like a LP-E17B.

The M200 was a trim down of the M50. The M50 was a trim down of the M5 (except the processor/firmware). So maybe this new LP-E12 camera is a trim down of the M6 Mark II.

We will hopefully find out soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

Feb 4, 2015
I do wish Canon had made a smaller (and cheaper!) GP-E3, the M+22mm+GP-E2 looks top heavy.

The GP-E2 on the M and M2 does look top heavy, but it's not. The GP-E2 is pretty light, even with an alkaline battery in it. I do wish the GP-E2 worked on my M6 Mark II as I find it far more useful for geotagging on my M and M2 then the Canon phone app paired to my M6 Mark II.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The GP-E2 on the M and M2 does look top heavy, but it's not. The GP-E2 is pretty light, even with an alkaline battery in it. I do wish the GP-E2 worked on my M6 Mark II as I find it far more useful for geotagging then the Canon phone app paired to the camera.

Agreed, I'm happy the GP-E2 work on my RP and according to the manual on the R5 as well. I tag the M6II pictures using the GP-E2 or phone tracklog in lightroom. I lack the discipline to restart the Canon Connect apps every time I turn on the M6II in the field. If you don't, it will use old coordinates.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

Feb 4, 2015
Agreed, I'm happy the GP-E2 work on my RP and according to the manual on the R5 as well. I tag the M6II pictures using the GP-E2 or phone tracklog in lightroom. I lack the discipline to restart the Canon Connect apps every time I turn on the M6II in the field. If you don't, it will use old coordinates.

Ah, great to know the RP and R5 are also able to use the GP-E2. That gives me more hope that the M5 Mark II/M7 (and possibly the M50 Mark II) will be able to use it as well.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

Feb 4, 2015
Given how minor the difference is between an E17 and and E12, I wonder why they're bothering to design anything new around an E12.

Great question! The only EOS M series camera I can see them keeping the LP-E12 battery for is the MX00 cameras. That EOS M series body needs such a small battery to stay at it's pocketable size (with EF-M 22mm lens).

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Great question! The only EOS M series camera I can see them keeping the LP-E12 battery for is the MX00 cameras. That EOS M series body needs such a small battery to stay at it's pocketable size (with EF-M 22mm lens).

The only difference is a millimeter of thickness. I have to try to read the black on black label to tell the difference between the spare 17 and the spare 12 in my EF-M camera bag, or pull them both out and hold them side by side.

They can't squeeze one millimeter of space out even in the 00 cameras?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
The only difference is a millimeter of thickness. I have to try to read the black on black label to tell the difference between the spare 17 and the spare 12 in my EF-M camera bag, or pull them both out and hold them side by side.

Canon takes some weird decisions occasionally. The LP-E12/E17 is one of them. The other is focusing on compactness and portability for the M system and yet they make every single lens with different filter size so one has to carry 2-3 different filters.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

Feb 4, 2015

I guess not, which is why the M10, M100 and M200 all have a separate location for the SD card on the opposite side of the camera.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Canon takes some weird decisions occasionally. The LP-E12/E17 is one of them. The other is focusing on compactness and portability for the M system and yet they make every single lens with different filter size so one has to carry 2-3 different filters.

There's a hack for that...get step up adapters from all of those sizes to 55mm (or whatever the thread diameter is for the 11-22), then just buy 55mm filters. You can leave the step-up adapters on the lenses permanently. (Yeah, you might want 55 mm lens caps too.)

I wish I had thought of that before buying all those filters.

[edited to change 62 to 55.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0