A new EOS R system camera is coming in January [CR2]

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
"The new camera in January may be a bit controversial"
When was the last camera Canon introduced without controversy?
I can't think that far back.
+1

-It doesn't have enough MP, useless for landscape and studio photography
-It has too many MP, so it's useless in low light and will be full of noise
-It doesn't have fast enough FPS, action photographers won't buy it
-It has too high FPS, so it will take days to sort through bazillions of images
-It has too many video features - going to cost too much for features stills only people don't need
-It doesn't have enough video features - hybrid shooters won't buy it because they'll still need a dedicated video cam

If it's an R7 type crop, the "there's no reason to have a crop sensor in R system" fanboys will yell
If it's a high res R5s type camera, the "low MP count has superior low-light and low noise" folks will scream
If it's the sub $1K FF cam, the "why did they leave out THIS or THAT feature which I use so everyone needs it" crowd will holler
If it's a video focused R5c type cam, the "Canon has forgotten us photographers again" crowd will be in an uproar
No matter what it is, the "Canon has lost their way, I'm jumping ship to Sony" crew will come out in droves...

So yeah, anyway, what I want is an R5s type camera, so that's obviously what most people want and clearly will be Canon's next release after the R3. ;)

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
Upvote 0
My serious guesses:
1. Touch pad shutter button (as described in a patent which surfaced months ago).
2. a retro style camera with old tech
3. A super affordable, small FF body with no EVF
4. A camera with built-in
machine based image editing (like in SP) to compete with apple, Samsung, Huawei etc

I really think all three options are actually possible. I figure that No 1 would be the most controversial because I really changes the way we/ one take(s) a picture.
No 4 would be considered “controversial” altough it basically would simply transfer the technique most people take images with to a DSLM.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My serious guesses:
1. Touch pad shutter button (as described in a patent which surfaced months ago).
2. a retro style camera with old tech
3. A super affordable, small FF body with no EVF
4. A camera with built-in
machine based image editing (like in SP) to compete with apple, Samsung, Huawei etc

I really think all three options are actually possible. I figure that No 1 would be the most controversial because I really changes the way we/ one take(s) a picture.
No 4 would be considered “controversial” altough it basically would simply transfer the technique most people take images with to a DSLM.
You know what? If they could find away to leverage a touch pad shutter button to control AF point selection, I would be there for it.

As a left eye dominant shooter, the LCD touchscreen is basically worse than useless to me for AF selection because my nose is always interfering with the touch screen.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
You know what? If they could find away to leverage a touch pad shutter button to control AF point selection, I would be there for it.

As a left eye dominant shooter, the LCD touchscreen is basically worse than useless to me for AF selection because my nose is always interfering with the touch screen.
If you look at Jared Polin's "unboxing the R3" video the evf sticks out much further so perhaps your nose wouldn't keep touching the screen so much with the R3.
If Canon rolls out this "eye controlled AF" tech on all their new cameras it may be good for "Lefties" like yourself?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0