A new EOS Rebel is coming this month, possibly an EOS Rebel T8i or entry level EOS M camera[CR1]

I don’t know why the simple fact is so hard for some forum members to wrap their brains around, but that’s life.

ONCE AGAIN... another rebel is the last thing most forum residents need, however the rest of the world doesn't live in your high DR, mic port, uncropped 4k world. We are a selfish lot.

Go and sell those ppl just the same Rebel with the 2019 moniker then, they will hardly notice. I can tell you - more and more - M50 / M100 likes are your new Rebels, so once again - the last thing the world needs, is a new DSLR Rebel. Go, buy popcorn, sit down and watch the show ....

Upvote 0

Ale_F

6D - 7D
Nov 22, 2018
At any high traffic tourist spot in America you could go blind trying to count all the Rebels. You could also go an entire day without seeing an M, and that's probably the most popular low end mirrorless made.

Not just only in America. The large part of cameras are Rebels (or XX00D / X00D) with 18/55 or 18/200.
These are number of sells, not infinite discussion about double slot.
Yes, market is contracting, but if you are the n.1 seller of DSLR I think it's not the case to stop the production.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Go and sell those ppl just the same Rebel with the 2019 moniker then, they will hardly notice. I can tell you - more and more - M50 / M100 likes are your new Rebels, so once again - the last thing the world needs, is a new DSLR Rebel. Go, buy popcorn, sit down and watch the show ....
Good idea, it can be entertaining when people ignore facts and reality. Entertaining, but sad.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hard to believe the negativity here. The Rebel line has been very successful. It's become a very capable camera and a solid entry point into prosumer APS-C and full frame. How many of us started off on a Rebel? I used my 7 year old T2i until six months ago. Plenty of bloggers and Instagrammers, etc. are using Rebels very effectively. Also, the Rebel line has been used to test new tech, like the tilting screen, touch screen, DPAF, and even eye detect with the mirror up. Maybe they'll use it to test IBIS and BSI sensors. It's probably going to share a sensor with the 90D and successor to the M5/M50, offsetting dev costs. More important than raw tech for the casual user is probably advancements in UI and ease of use, maybe even AI assisted functions. And of course, it's designed to hit that $750 price target for those high volume Best Buy/Costco retail channels, while the 90D will probably come in closer to $1k.

The Rebel line is a lot of value and capability, with two decades of iterative improvement. It's going to sell. Chillax people. The middle finger that is the RP is what we should all still be upset about.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Hard to believe the negativity here. The Rebel line has been very successful. It's become a very capable camera and a solid entry point into prosumer APS-C and full frame. How many of us started off on a Rebel? I used my 7 year old T2i until six months ago. Plenty of bloggers and Instagrammers, etc. are using Rebels very effectively. Also, the Rebel line has been used to test new tech, like the tilting screen, touch screen, DPAF, and even eye detect with the mirror up. Maybe they'll use it to test IBIS and BSI sensors. It's probably going to share a sensor with the 90D and successor to the M5/M50, offsetting dev costs. More important than raw tech for the casual user is probably advancements in UI and ease of use, maybe even AI assisted functions. And of course, it's designed to hit that $750 price target for those high volume Best Buy/Costco retail channels, while the 90D will probably come in closer to $1k.

The Rebel line is a lot of value and capability, with two decades of iterative improvement. It's going to sell. Chillax people. The middle finger that is the RP is what we should all still be upset about.

We have a lot of camera “elite” on this forum and as had been said countless times, we do not represent the typical user.

The reality is that it is the Rebel cameras that sell in the big numbers and that is what keeps the lights burning on the factory floor. FF cameras are a niche market.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
The mirrorless market is not growing, it's contracting along with the entire non-phone camera market. "Sales growth" in this context means a bigger slice of a smaller pie.

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201906_e.pdf

DSLR sales are in free fall. Especially low-end DSLRs. Only the most ignorant BestBuy and CostCo n00bs are still buying Rebel class DSLRs. Many more households already have 1, 2 or 3 "Rebels" along with kit zoom stowed away in some drawer and are using their phonecameras for all those senseless selfies and shaky videos (but "in 4k" of course). because those rebels are too bulky and too clumsy. that's reality.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
We are approaching the crossover point, but you are correct that DSLRs still out sell MILCs. The do so by wide margins in North America and Europe.
"CIPA shipments" is not equal "sales to end-user customers".

i'd not be surprised if many of those shipped rebel class dslrs are bulldozed or shreddered in the back of some warehouses once they are 2 generations old and still have failed to sell even with all sorts of cash-backs and Black Friday special offers.

• Haha
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
DSLR sales are in free fall. Especially low-end DSLRs. Only the most ignorant BestBuy and CostCo n00bs are still buying Rebel class DSLRs. Many more households already have 1, 2 or 3 "Rebels" along with kit zoom stowed away in some drawer and are using their phonecameras for all those senseless selfies and shaky videos (but "in 4k" of course). because those rebels are too bulky and too clumsy. that's reality.
Such BS, utter rubbish. Imagine a kitchen drawer with instead of NIntendo cables, bottle openers and shopping list pads it has 2-3 Rebels(Joeys) and kit lenses. And even more ridiculous? How anyone thinks they have the data to support this idea.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That’s your personal reality in the AvTvM Universe. Out here in the real world there are a lot of BestBuy and Costco shoppers, and ‘normal’ people don’t have 2-3 cameras costing hundreds of dollars each tucked away in drawers.

Upvote 0