A New Style of Camera From Canon Currently Being Tested [CR2]

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
cpreston said:
If it looks like an XC15 and shoots like XC15, it is an XC15. Or XC20.

That is a picture of a video focused camera. If somebody showed it to me without the attached article expressing confusion about what it could be, I would say it was an XC15.

Except then, it wouldn't be substantially different than. Any Canon body ever made. There's nothing at all to say that the new body will look like that drawing.

Upvote 0
Per CanonNews site, Canon has filed a patent for a 'variety of high end APS-C zoom lenses' (Dec 2017) :

14-35 2.8
9-22 2.8
10-35 2.8-3.5
18-80 4.0
18-75 4.0
12-30 2.8

APS-C dslrs have been around for ages, but why these many high end zooms all of a sudden ? Hm.. I recall seeing a post here (CR) that Canon will be launching an ILC type video oriented *system* slated for later this year. The system is supposedly positioned below CinemaEOS (read smaller than super35 sensor). Coupling that with Canon's announcement that 4k in the 7d3 will involve a 'slight crop' of an APS-C sensor leads me to think Canon's new system will be a sub APS-C ( a new format) prosumer oriented video ILC system with an EF compatible mount and that their first camera will launch with an introductory set of zooms (two or more from the above).

Upvote 0
One way that Canon could differentiate themselves in the medium format space is to have a larger sensor (and lenses).
They could make a 0.5x crop camera with a 3:2 aspect ratio that is exactly 2x the width and 2x the height of current full frame.
Make it compatible with EF lenses (adapter) so you can take images that use the entire EF image circle (obviously there will be a lot of 'black' area with no coverage), and then crop out the aspect ratio you want later.

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
cpreston said:
If it looks like an XC15 and shoots like XC15, it is an XC15. Or XC20.

That is a picture of a video focused camera. If somebody showed it to me without the attached article expressing confusion about what it could be, I would say it was an XC15.

That was my first thought, as well...

xc15-4k-uhd-camcorder_1_xl.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
if anything, they could be the first company to offer a 60mm x 60mm "true medium format" square sensor. THAT would be the only worthwhile market niche i can see for "Canon MF". All other niches are well under control of competitors.

Just like the MILC market was well under the control of competitors? 5 years after entering it, Canon had grown to the #2 spot globally.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
CanoKnight said:
Per CanonNews site, Canon has filed a patent for a 'variety of high end APS-C zoom lenses' (Dec 2017) :

14-35 2.8
9-22 2.8
10-35 2.8-3.5
18-80 4.0
18-75 4.0
12-30 2.8

Hope it is for EF-M, not EF-S. Would buy an EF-M 18-75 or 80/constant 4.0 IS STM any time. 8)

they were EF-S

Upvote 0
Mills-hall said:
If Canon wants to use their current ef lens for Mirrorless they will need to accommodate the longer flange focal distance. Reminiscent of the old Olympus film cameras like the IS-3 this is one way to do it. The small Sony a7 camera do not balance well with the larger prime and zoom lens.

---

I think I will say .... I TOLD YOU SO !!!!

I'm an PRETTY SURE this is the 50 Megapixel Medium Format 25 fps stills camera with Super-HIGH ISO that I was informed about from on-line documents leaked by the Germany/Netherlands photo-enthusiasts group named "Eigenvector"

So to re-iterate what SEEMS to be coming down the pipeline:

- 56mm by 42mm CMOS Bayer Sensor MIRRORLESS camera !!!!

- 16 bits per colour channel (i.e. 48-bit colour) 4:4:4 at 8192 x 6036 pixels (4:3 aspect ratio)

- JPEG-2000 Wavelet based image compression for stills photo in addition to RAW 444

- 6.82 Microns per sensor photosite with 5% improvement in light gathering capability over Canon 1Dxmk2 (i.e. even lower noise in shadows)

- 25 FPS Burst Shooting Rate with a 5 second buffer! (the 5 second buffer is a new stat from the Eigenvector group)

- Articulated OLED touchscreen (i.e. 1920 by 1200 pixels) with selectable DPAF region selection on ANY PART of screen

- Internal SSD Flash-based Hard Drive Storage in the terabyte range!

- Internal GPS and 3D-XYZ MEMS orientiation sensor recording position and camera orientation metadata at user-defined number of frame-based intervals to video file.

- 4K video with full sensor sample (i.e. NO crop sensor sampling) for 60 fps at 4:2:2 10 bits per colour channel and Clog 1/2/3

- 2nd Version of Camera will be sold as a 120 Megapixel landscape oriented photo system with 8-to-10 fps for 120 megapixel photos!

- Multiple very large diameter L-series prime lenses to be released at the same time

- Priced probably between 12 000 to 16 000 Euros at introduction which is HALF the price of a Hasselblad but does 25 FPS at 50 megapixels! That would be the CAMERA OF THE YEAR at 25 fps 50 megapixels!

I am PROBABLY CORRECT in that this was a REAL LEAK about a VERY REAL Canon Medium Format super-stills camera from the Eigenvector group! I should note what I personally thought what I saw online looked more like a really LARGE Canon 1DxMk2 rather than an XC15 --- I can't be sure on that anymore because it was quite a while ago...

Again....I TOLD YOU SO !!!!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon Rumors said:
  • The camera looks “substantially dissimilar” from any other Canon camera body
  • A large DSLR-like hand-grip and is deeper/thicker than any of the existing mirrorless bodies, but doesn’t look like a DSLR at all.

HarryFilm said:

I'm an PRETTY SURE this is the 50 Megapixel Medium Format 25 fps stills camera with Super-HIGH ISO that I was informed about from on-line documents leaked by the Germany/Netherlands photo-enthusiasts group named "Eigenvector"

What did you tell us? Let's check...

HarryFilm said:
This is a reformatted copy of an email sent to me from colleagues in the Netherlands and Germany in Early 2017 *** CONFIRMING *** that an in-the-wild test prototype was seen in Munich, Germany during a Football match (that's soccer for you Americans!) that was ALSO CONFIRMED via an earlier-in-year and later-in-year PHYSICAL closeup examination of a similar system to be a MEDIUM FORMAT CANON CAMERA that has a very large CMOS sensor in a body style very similar to a Canon 1Dx Mark II camera but of course larger in size to accommodate the larger sensor and lenses.

Thanks for *** CONFIRMING *** that you were wrong, and now it's ALSO CONFIRMED that you don't know what you're talking about. Not that this comes as a surprise to anyone. ::)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
  • A large DSLR-like hand-grip and is deeper/thicker than any of the existing mirrorless bodies, but doesn’t look like a DSLR at all.

HarryFilm said:

HarryFilm said:
This is a reformatted copy of an email sent to me from colleagues in the Netherlands and Germany in Early 2017 *** CONFIRMING *** that an in-the-wild test prototype was seen in Munich, Germany during a Football match (that's soccer for you Americans!) that was ALSO CONFIRMED via an earlier-in-year and later-in-year PHYSICAL closeup examination of a similar system to be a MEDIUM FORMAT CANON CAMERA that has a very large CMOS sensor in a body style very similar to a Canon 1Dx Mark II camera but of course larger in size to accommodate the larger sensor and lenses.

Thanks for *** CONFIRMING *** that you were wrong, and now it's ALSO CONFIRMED that you don't know what you're talking about. Not that this comes as a surprise to anyone. ::)

We need a new word for what HarryFilm is doing: he's not really trolling to get people agitated, it's more like he's spinning yarns to amuse us, like the old boat captain character in the Non Sequitur comic strip. Maybe we could call it "strolling" when people engage in cheeky leg-pulling and story-telling. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:

HarryFilm said:

HarryFilm said:

It a black box with a lens on the front. Where was he wrong?

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017
neuroanatomist said:

HarryFilm said:

How you know he not right?
Where your evidence to show he wrong?
Posts months apart. Canon have many test cameras, yes? Possible both right?
Try think positive.

All consumer know is what make product, not what test.

Upvote 0
snoke said:
neuroanatomist said:

HarryFilm said:

How you know he not right?
Where your evidence to show he wrong?

The burden is on him to show that he's right, given his confident statements and history of being wrong about timelines. The evidence we do have does not support his claims.

I think he's just having a bit of harmless fun. Maybe we should pile on like the reviews for the Three Wolf Moon t-shirt at Amazon. :)

Upvote 0
"... by the Germany/Netherlands photo-enthusiasts group named "Eigenvector" "

A little bit off topic but ...

I never understood the importance of Eigenvectors and Eigenvalues in math and physics. After 15 years of it related jobs after studying physics I am now physics teacher and try to understand all the stuff again and additionally from the perspectives of 10 ... 19 year old students.

After reading a little bit of articles about eigenvectors and eigenvalues I am a stop closer to understanding that from the mathematical & physics perspective. Thanks for mentioning the term Eigenvector to HarryFilm and chewing parts of his post again and again.

Upvote 0