A second camera will be announced with the EOS R50 in Q1 2023

Sep 20, 2020
Another product line with an apparent 10-year life span? The M-mount is virtually the same size as the Sony E-mount and look at what Sony has done with that.
I have my doubts that Canon had plans for the RF mount at the time.
If the RF mount is going to replace the EF mount then it might as well replace the EF-M mount.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
I have my doubts that Canon had plans for the RF mount at the time.
If the RF mount is going to replace the EF mount then it might as well replace the EF-M mount.
They might not have had "plans" but the question of how large a mount would be required for a FF sensor absolutely should have been discussed. There would also be the question of whether they just should get rid of the mirror and keep the flange distance the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Canon at the present time is very reluctant and shy about reducing prices of their profitable M6 mk 2. If there is any daylight between present prices and a notion of a near replacement it certainly isnt noticeable. Even refurbished units are still clinging to the $670 price. Only for a brief instant did it drop to $549. Now back to $679 even during the present Black Friday sales which dont include the M6 mk 2.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon at the present time is very reluctant and shy about reducing prices of their profitable M6 mk 2. If there is any daylight between present prices and a notion of a near replacement it certainly isnt noticeable. Even refurbished units are still clinging to the $670 price. Only for a brief instant did it drop to $549. Now back to $679 even during the present Black Friday sales which dont include the M6 mk 2.
Amazon had a very good price on the M6II kit with the M15-45 and EVF during Prime Day this year. That's when I bought mine.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
It's time for Canon's retro-inspired fixed lens mirrorless camera :)
Hummm; an homage to the earlier Canonet 7 or (gasp) the early Leica?

I'm waiting for the R3003, which would have the form factor of the Rollei R3003 but with the internals of the R3. The C series is getting close...

Which would be a great project for a team of interns learning the camera design trade. 3D printing makes the structure straightforward, and repurposing components from the parts bin (assuming the supply chain is working again) is very cost effective.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
And a small 15f/2 lens. The Sigma 16 f/1.4 is a bit too large and it isn't a Canon lens.

Update: I wonder about the marketing politics surrounding Canon's transition to mirrorless. When the M-system was first proposed, I would have expected a lively discussion within Canon about the best way to make the transition, resulting in a coherent long range marketing plan. That doesn't seem to have happened.

Oh, I think it happened.

Then Fuji said, "You're going to completely phase out APS-C from serious cameras? Here, hold my beer!"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0