A Sony & Canon Sensor Partnership Mentioned Again [CR1]

Re: A Sony & Canon Sensor Partnership Mentioned Again [CR1]

racebit said:
This does not make sense to me.
Canon has just put out the 7D2 sensor, which scaled down to FF gives the 53-56MP wanted.
If Canon wanted to put a Sony Sensor on the High MP FF it would put a cut version (same pixel size) on he 7D2.
Or else the 7D2 would be outdated very soon. Canon waited 5 years to update the 7D. If such a major move was about to happen, they would not leave the 7D in the cold, they could wait some more months.
A FF scaled version of ths 7D2 sensor makes all the sense in this timing, a few months after, to allow better yelds of the larger version.

It seems like both Canon and Nikon want to push FF over crop to consumers. Nikon creates D750 instead of 7Dii direct competitor and Canon may be keeping older sensor tech just for APS-C. Both seem to be emphasizing FF more than ever.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012

racebit said:
Don Haines said:
lots of speculation...
little is known....

Yes, Canon Rumors...
But this is good clean fun. That is why we are read and comment on this stuff.

Seriously if this happens, it would be great news. Best of both world.

Upvote 0

What you say mirror my own thoughts. If it's true that Canon would partner with Sony for sensor technologies, that is.

gsealy said:
I am thinking that a couple of things might be in play. First, we know that DSLR sales are slacking off. So that means that consolidation in some way or form is going to happen. Maybe Canon's cost model says that for now it is cheaper to subcontract this piece rather than ramping up themselves. Second, the market and competition is pushing for higher MPs right now, and this is a way to get there sooner rather than later. They can continue to be projected as a leader. Lastly, maybe Canon is a little uncertain as to their market projections for their version of a high MP camera. Maybe they can't do a good projection based on the pricing point and features. So rather than investing tons of money on infrastructure to build their own chip (and with higher risk), they are buying from Sony.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors said:
Canon will buy sony sensors for the next full frame cameras. but they are more a joint venture from Canon and Sony. Sony will make them and they will have EXMOR technology, for Canon they will get the DualPixel AF. So it’s a patent exchange that helps both companies.

Sounds dodgy. If that really was Canon's strategy for products to be announced in the near future, why wouldn't they have already put such a sensor into the recently released 7D II? After all, it does have a likely product life of 3-5 years.

This is more likely to be someone's fantasy sensor, now churning around the rumour mills. However, I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong...

Rather than integrating innovations already out there in the market, I would hope that Canon offers something really interesting and novel in their upcoming flagships.

Upvote 0

With the Emerging Mirrorless market mostly utilizing Micro 4/3 and APS-C sensors to keep the size of the body and lens combinations small, it does make sense to distinguish FF DSLR's as super high resolution beasts with accurate autofocus in any conditions for non compromising Professionals or Enthusiasts.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012

racebit said:
If Canon wanted to put a Sony Sensor on the High MP FF it would put a cut version (same pixel size) on the 7D2.
Or else the 7D2 would be outdated very soon.

Why does the manufacturer of the sensor in a more-expensive/full frame/likely not optimized for fast action have any impact on how current a less-expensive/APS-C/optimized for fast action is?

Does the 7D2 outdate the 70D?

If it were a rumored Sony/Canon crop camera with a similar pricing, framerate, and AF system, then yes, that would outdate the 7D2.

Personally, I find it unlikely that Sony would be able to tool for DPAF sensors that quickly unless they were involved in the development of the 70D.

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011

Machaon said:
If that really was Canon's strategy for products to be announced in the near future, why wouldn't they have already put such a sensor into the recently released 7D II?

If this is all true which is yet to be seen, negotiations with Sony on cross-licensing patents may have been going on for quite some time, maybe even for the past two years that wouldn't be unusual. Meanwhile the 7D2 was long overdue so Canon released it with what they had knowing they will then release a "5Ds" with a 50+ MP sensor that's even better. There are any number of scenarios that could explain it.

Upvote 0

Machaon said:
Canon Rumors said:
Canon will buy sony sensors for the next full frame cameras. but they are more a joint venture from Canon and Sony. Sony will make them and they will have EXMOR technology, for Canon they will get the DualPixel AF. So it’s a patent exchange that helps both companies.

Sounds dodgy. If that really was Canon's strategy for products to be announced in the near future, why wouldn't they have already put such a sensor into the recently released 7D II? After all, it does have a likely product life of 3-5 years.

This is more likely to be someone's fantasy sensor, now churning around the rumour mills. However, I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong...

Rather than integrating innovations already out there in the market, I would hope that Canon offers something really interesting and novel in their upcoming flagships.

I think the 7D mkII was in development perhaps 3 years ago and making such a change would probably delay production for yet another year. Besides, I don't think 14 stops of Dynamic Range at ISO 100 was a technical target for this camera. The 7Dii is niche and does what it's designed to do and does it better than any other camera body out there.
I'm not sure it has any true competitor at the moment so why not put just a very good sensor (instead of the Best sensor) in there if it won't affect your primary technical targets and keep costs down.

Mirrorless sporty cameras like the A6000 and NX-1 can shoot sports but they don't have the telephoto lens selections the 7D has and adaptors just won't cut it.

Upvote 0

Canon has a history of releasing a product just before a new appropriate sensor is out. Look at the M. It screams for a dual pixel sensor. But they pushed it out the door before the DP was ready. Very likely the same thing happened with the 7D2. Canon wanted to recoup the development of the 7D2 instead of waiting to long. If this rumor is true then 7D3 will come in a year.

Upvote 0

Even if taken with a salt truck, this makes sense from a business point of view. It's probably added value for Canon to outsource the manufacturing because they don't have to dedicate manufacturing resources, and for Sony it's likely an interesting business proposition given their current state of affairs. Technically it also makes sense to take advantage of Sony's expertise. I can personally vouch for the quality of their sensors because the a6000 delivers stunning image quality and low shadow noise.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014

racebit said:
Canon has just put out the 7D2 sensor, which scaled down to FF gives the 53-56MP wanted.
If Canon wanted to put a Sony Sensor on the High MP FF it would put a cut version (same pixel size) on the 7D2.
Or else the 7D2 would be outdated very soon. Canon waited 5 years to update the 7D. If such a major move was about to happen, they would not leave the 7D in the cold, they could wait some more months.
A FF scaled version of the 7D2 sensor makes all the sense in this timing, a few months after, to allow better yelds of the larger version.
If Canon wanted to introduce a Sony sensor, I think it would make more sense with the 5D4, not now with the "5Ds", as Canon has the required tech ready, from the 7D2.

This was kind of my thinking as well. It has been my understanding that the 7D2, with it's latest greatest crop sensor tech, has gotten within about a stop from the 5D3 in high ISO, noise department. And that the noise on this sensor, at least compared to previous crops, is much more pleasing, easier to cleanup, etc. If you used this same sensor/tech on a full frame, what would that boost be compared to a current 5D? At least a stop better then current 5D/6D, correct?

And that's just noise discussion. The 7D "fixed" a lot of the banding issues, improved colors, etc. to just make a very solid crop sensor. I know many people in the other thread have said if this new high MP is just an upscaled 7D sensor they would be very disappointed. But in my mind, I'd think it would be a pretty good upgrade to Canon's current FF sensors.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer

It's all very exciting! I just want to see Canon get back on top again. Not sure using Sony sensors would do that? They are last generation and surely have a new one in the pipeline... I think the Canon system is better than Nikon but using the same sensor won't temp in the same way and instead will turn into a lens race.

Sony aren't exactly doing brilliant although their camera segment is interesting by implementing a song sensor and if song ends up in trouble then what?

Upvote 0