Adobe Lightroom 6 Coming This Week?

Jamesy said:
grainier said:
CC? Did not Adobe swear that LR will be kept standalone? Whatever. I switched to DPP and never looked back.

Are there means to batch update and work efficiently on large numbers of photos in DPP? Admittedly I have not used it in years...

Curious about this as well. I vaguely remember using DPP before ACR for the 5DMK3 was out and thinking how painful editing something as large as wedding would be in DPP… If it's gotten better I might need to take it out for a spin again ;)

Upvote 0

Bruce Photography

Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Bragg, CA
Jamesy said:
I need EOS-M3 raw support to be included. It is not even in the DNG converter as of yet (v.8.8).

I thought when we started to pay for software by the month for CC and Lightroom, we'd see more timely camera raw updates for new cameras. I'm waiting for the D7200 (I know this is a Canon forum so thank you in advance for sharing). This issue of always having to wait for camera raw support for Canon and Nikon is getting tiresome. Can we postpone our monthly payments???? NO. Since sensors are so similar in pixel counts the Camera Raw update for a specific camera could be done from Adobe Labs much quicker than the main release with all the nifty fixes and features. I'm suggesting incremental releases between the main release that would be for just new cameras such as the M3 but since we are paying Monthly I expect Monthly updates just for new cameras to Camera Raw (no other fixes that might destabilize the release). The final release of Camera Raw could still be done on a 3 month schedule with the normal Beta releases for testing from Adobe Labs.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
t.linn said:
You're right of course but I think the true objection to "rentalware" is that Adobe has you on the hook FOREVER.

Well, something has changed recently on that front as well.

Most of LR is now free. That's right...

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/07/what-happens-to-lightroom-after-my-membership-ends.html

"What happens to my photographs after my membership ends? With Lightroom 5.5, at the end of a membership, the desktop application will continue to launch and provide access to the photographs managed within Lightroom as well as the Slideshow, Web, Book or Print creations that we know many photographers painstakingly create. The Develop and Map modules have been disabled in order to signal the end of the membership and the need to renew in order to receive Adobe’s continuous innovation in those areas."

So, not paying doesn't mean losing access, just losing ability to do new development work and geotagging.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
+1 I started with LR 3, then 4, now 5. I have Photoshop CC. With upgrading each year in LR I was already spending $80, plus my monthly fee for PS. What's nice about CC is that I can install all my software on 2 machines. I have PS on my MacPro at home and a Window 7 machine at my office. Everything is locally installed and run.

Sure, I'd rather a standalone LR product, but it's not the way Adobe is going. Every business would prefer constant cash flow. This is the way to do it so they have a more fiscally stable company that can continue to produce bad-ass software. Think how many people out there buy ONE edition of PS or LR and then sit on it for years and years....

PS was over $600 to purchase, so I was running a 10 year old copy until CC!!! That was 10 years of me running on old tech and 10 years of Adobe not getting my money. Now Adobe is happy and i'm happy. I know it's not for everyone, but vote with your wallet and fire them if you'd prefer something else.

;D

Lee Jay said:
AvTvM said:
http://photorumors.com/2015/04/20/adobe-lightroom-cc-to-be-announced-tomorrow/

no idea, if it's true. But if it is CC / pay every month cloud only, that will be it for me. I'd then move my RAW stuff over to Capture One.

I'm not a fan of "rented software", but let me explain some things about CC.

First, the PS/LR bundle is $9.99 a month or $119.88 a year. That's right, you can pay for a whole year at a time, not once a month.

Second, Adobe's branding is seriously misleading. It's not cloud software, it's local software. It's installed locally, run locally, and you don't need a web connection to run it. In fact, there are even ways to do CC on stations that have no web connection, though this requires some special stuff. It's only "cloud software" in the sense that it's updated frequently and that it calls home to verify licensing at defined intervals.

For people who use PS, it's a great deal - it's much cheaper than PS was alone if you upgraded every version.

For people who use only LR, it's really only a 2x rip-off compared to perpetual licensing upgrades if you do them all, and about the same as LR upgrades cost before LR's price was cut in half.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
PureClassA said:
+1 I started with LR 3, then 4, now 5. I have Photoshop CC. With upgrading each year in LR I was already spending $80, plus my monthly fee for PS. What's nice about CC is that I can install all my software on 2 machines.

The LR perpetual license allows you to install it on two machines - a desktop and a laptop. Since many use laptops as desktops now, I suppose that's allowed too.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Canon and Nikon don't just hand those specs over to Adobe the day they come out, ya know? Believe me, they put them out as fast as they can figure out what the hell they are.

Bruce Photography said:
Jamesy said:
I need EOS-M3 raw support to be included. It is not even in the DNG converter as of yet (v.8.8).

I thought when we started to pay for software by the month for CC and Lightroom, we'd see more timely camera raw updates for new cameras. I'm waiting for the D7200 (I know this is a Canon forum so thank you in advance for sharing). This issue of always having to wait for camera raw support for Canon and Nikon is getting tiresome. Can we postpone our monthly payments???? NO. Since sensors are so similar in pixel counts the Camera Raw update for a specific camera could be done from Adobe Labs much quicker than the main release with all the nifty fixes and features. I'm suggesting incremental releases between the main release that would be for just new cameras such as the M3 but since we are paying Monthly I expect Monthly updates just for new cameras to Camera Raw (no other fixes that might destabilize the release). The final release of Camera Raw could still be done on a 3 month schedule with the normal Beta releases for testing from Adobe Labs.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I've got it on two different OS desktops. I dont think they distinguish

Lee Jay said:
PureClassA said:
+1 I started with LR 3, then 4, now 5. I have Photoshop CC. With upgrading each year in LR I was already spending $80, plus my monthly fee for PS. What's nice about CC is that I can install all my software on 2 machines.

The LR perpetual license allows you to install it on two machines - a desktop and a laptop. Since many use laptops as desktops now, I suppose that's allowed too.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Lee Jay said:
PureClassA said:

The LR perpetual license allows you to install it on two machines

However, if you run Windows and OSX, you need two perpetual licenses. CC allows cross-platform with the single license.

Upvote 0
keriboi said:
Im already on the yearly photoshop/lightroom plan.
Will I get a free upgrade? how does it work?

Yes, whenever a new version comes out, the CC software should notify you that an update is available, and ask if you'd like to install it now. If you don't see the notification, just go under Help/Check for Updates, or you can find your CC program panel thing.

Upvote 0
What about grocery stores? Every time you go there you have to pay them again!!

Seriously, people arguing over $10 month seems ludicrous to me. You can't go to a bar and buy a couple of drinks for $10. I can't get a decent pizza for $10. Hell, a movie and popcorn are well over $10 now. If you've paid the price for a camera that can deliver RAW files, $10 month to you should be petty cash.

And Adobe is giving you LR AND PS for $10 month. They should get some kind of medal of honor for doing that!

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
At the grocery store i get fresh food every time. I don't have to pay for yesterday's apples again and again.
And i dont need or use PS. I hate the guts of its clumsy 1980s style user interface.
I want to buy, not rent. I will not rent. No matter what LR can do, I will definitely move away from adobe and LR, if it is CC/monthly rental only. Probably back to DPP, if Capture One also moves towards rental, as somebody pointed out a few posts above.

distant.star said:
What about grocery stores? Every time you go there you have to pay them again!!

Seriously, people arguing over $10 month seems ludicrous to me. You can't go to a bar and buy a couple of drinks for $10. I can't get a decent pizza for $10. Hell, a movie and popcorn are well over $10 now. If you've paid the price for a camera that can deliver RAW files, $10 month to you should be petty cash.

And Adobe is giving you LR AND PS for $10 month. They should get some kind of medal of honor for doing that!

Upvote 0
VeloDramatic said:
New functionality is always welcome but if LR6 doesn't seriously address the performance issue with accelerated processing/rendering, I'll be disappointed.

I dunno, I find LR amazing as it is - don't forget the huge heap of data it has to juggle around when doing the lossless post-processing actions. These have to be re-applied every time on top of the decoded raw, they're not burned in or layered like in PS.

Same goes for metadata handling, anyone having some experience with databases knows that high speed is not a given for such heaps of searchable metadata. Sure if they'd replace LUA with C it'd be still faster, but in this case I have to be the Adobe fanboi.

distant.star said:

They probably realized that with the whole world using PS (in some payment mode or another) $10 is more than $0 :-> ... but again I cannot help to comment on the fact that the licensing model is *not* about only money but about *development*.

PS has a rolling release and you get updates regularly, but with "paid" software they have to withhold features to sell the next big release. Why do folks figure the extended mask editing mode of ACR 8.6 is in PS, but disabled in LR5 (yes, imported raw files from PS work in LR!)?

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
People using tools like PS and LR are largely professionals, which means they are much more likely to upgrade with each new product generation than casual and/or amateur users. PS as a standalone was $600. Upgrades (every year or two) came at $300-400. Now it's $9.99 a month and you get updates and upgrades as they deliver. It's a WAY better deal staying on top of Adobe's newest features. Now they will throw LR in with that. Buying those two pieces of software would be $750 if both still sold like that today. Then another $400-$500 every time you upgrade to the newer version. Sorry, I don't see how $119/yr is a bad deal by comparison. These are critical tools for all our work. $119/yr is nothing for vital organs. Plus I can freely move them to any two machines I want regardless of OS.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
LR is amazing as it is, but it's been sorely lacking in being able to take advantage of modern workstations many in their professional audience own. LR prefers higher top core speed over multiple cores with lower speeds. It's why LR benchmarked better on an iMac with 3.5Mhz i7 processors than the monster MacPro 6-8 core+ machines with each core only have top speed of about 2.2 to 2.5 Mhz plus HUGE GPUs. It wasn't the computers. It was the software. Now it looks like they finally re-wrote the code to start gobbling up extra cores and GPUs. That should be a major difference especially in the Develop Module. I often throw a DVD or BluRay movie on my second monitor while I'm editing, and it's noticeable many times. It's cuz LR trying to draw everything from 1-2 cores and not even looking a the GPU which is sitting there bored to tears. Even when I'm not running anything else but LR (and I occasionally have PS running in tandem too), I should still be getting faster performance with all the headroom in my base model MacPro. I can't wait to see what it does tomorrow when I download it.

Marsu42 said:
I dunno, I find LR amazing as it is - don't forget the huge heap of data it has to juggle around when doing the lossless post-processing actions. These have to be re-applied every time on top of the decoded raw, they're not burned in or layered like in PS.

Same goes for metadata handling, anyone having some experience with databases knows that high speed is not a given for such heaps of searchable metadata. Sure if they'd replace LUA with C it'd be still faster, but in this case I have to be the Adobe fanboi.

PS has a rolling release and you get updates regularly, but with "paid" software they have to withhold features to sell the next big release. Why do folks figure the extended mask editing mode of ACR 8.6 is in PS, but disabled in LR5 (yes, imported raw files from PS work in LR!)?

Upvote 0