Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
A few weeks ago we posted that <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/02/adobe-lightroom-6-coming-very-soon/" target="_blank">Adobe Lightroom 6 would be released on March 9, 2015</a>, as per an Amazon UK date leak. We were told a couple of days later that this date was incorrect, but we failed to update the post to reflect that. We’ve seen a second date from an Amazon Japan leak that stated the release date would be March 20, 2015. We cannot confirm this date either.</p>
<p>All that we do know is Adobe has said Lightroom 6 would be released some time in March, so we don’t have too long to wait.</p>
<p>Some key features coming in Adobe Lightroom 6:</p>
<ul>
<li dir="ltr"><strong>Environment nondestructive

</strong>Unleash your creativity in a nondestructive editing environment that allows you to test your ideas freely. The originals remain intact and you can easily cancel your edits or save multiple versions of a cliché.</li>
<li dir="ltr"><strong>Advanced conversion feature black and white

</strong>Monitor closely the tonal qualities so essential to the black and white photos. Combine precisely the information of eight color layers in the grayscale conversion.</li>
<li dir="ltr"><strong>Face Recognition

</strong>Quickly find pictures of loved ones, even without metadata tags. You select a face on the photo, Lightroom and search the person it belongs to all of your other shots. Sort and group your photos by faces.</li>
<li dir="ltr"><strong>Sophisticated Healing Brush

</strong>Get best pictures with one touch. Set the brush size and move it according to specific plots. Unwanted items and other imperfections, including irregular shapes son type, magically disappear.</li>
<li dir="ltr"><strong>Upright (Vertically)

</strong>Straighten skewed images with a single click. The Upright tool (Vertically) analyzes the image and detects horizontal or vertical lines inclined. It can even recover images without horizon.</li>
<li dir="ltr"><strong>Fusion panoramas

</strong>Realize XXL ultra detailed panoramas. Photo merge technology lets you merge multiple images, including raw files, to create panoramas out of the ordinary.</li>
<li dir="ltr"><strong>Performance gains

</strong>Import and refine your photos in record time. Lightroom leverages compatible graphics process to get you better performance, especially when you edit your images in the Develop module.</li>
</ul>

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Canon Rumors said:
Some key features coming in Adobe Lightroom 6

Never mind the features, but I do hope they'll have the courage to drop the "perpetual" licenses and switch to a pure subscription model!

The PS+LR deal is incredibly good, and the more people participate and don't cling to "buying" the software the cheaper the rates might get! What do you think?

Upvote 0
And what if all this face recognition that has become such a powerful and ubiquitous feature would be used to maintain a database on a central agency computer telling all kinds of things about who met whom and who else was there. Maybe I am paranoid for nothing but I just do not want any face recognition software anywhere near me. Should I grow a beard or wear a souvlaki...I mean a baklava..no, a balaclava every time I get out of my house?
I do not like it.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
naylor83 said:
The only *new* feature in that list is the panorama merging, no?

* CR forgot HDR merging (at least this was on an older list)
* The mask editing tool will be extended (you can add or subtract from radial or linear masks) - this is already in PS CC, but LR withheld it from LR5.
* Face recognition is completely new, but I'd rather have focus peaking...
* The automatic healing brush might really get better, as it stands now the algorithm screws up sometimes while finding content and there's a bug when healing near the picture border.

martti said:
I do not like it.

With Facebook using face recognition with a direct pipeline to the NSA, do you really think LR (which isn't even browser- or cloud-based) does make a difference?

naylor83 said:
Marsu42: I hope for the opposite. Or at least I hope they keep the old scheme, which I much prefer.

Well, CR folk are rather conservative, so maybe there a few 'round here who favor the legacy concept of "ownership". I'm sure other people are willing to share their thoughts on this :)

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
* CR forgot HDR merging (at least this was on an older list)
* The mask editing tool will be extended (you can add or subtract from radial or linear masks) - this is already in PS CC, but LR withheld it from LR5.
* Face recognition is completely new, but I'd rather have focus peaking...
* The automatic healing brush might really get better, as it stands now the algorithm screws up sometimes while finding content and there's a bug when healing near the picture border.

Thanks, I had missed the bit about face recognition. I'd like that. And I'd like the HDR merging!

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
  • Environment nondestructive Unleash your creativity in a nondestructive editing environment that allows you to test your ideas freely. The originals remain intact and you can easily cancel your edits or save multiple versions of a cliché.

It's nice to know that Adobe has such a high opinion of our work. ???

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2010
Marsu42 said:

Based on the description the healing brush might unfortunately be the same old brush.
Setting a size and movement is already there, "sophisticated" might be just a translation issue meaning "advanced", as it was called in LR5.

"Sophisticated Healing Brush

Get best pictures with one touch. Set the brush size and move it according to specific plots. Unwanted items and other imperfections, including irregular shapes son type, magically disappear."

p.s. I very much prefer perpetual license, I have zero interest in PS.

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
c-law said:
Canon Rumors said:
  • Environment nondestructive Unleash your creativity in a nondestructive editing environment that allows you to test your ideas freely. The originals remain intact and you can easily cancel your edits or save multiple versions of a cliché.

It's nice to know that Adobe has such a high opinion of our work. ???
:D

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
sleepnever said:
I'm really looking forward to the performance increases, specifically if they are going to use my nVidia 970GTX 4GB.

I wouldn't hold my breath there - with the current architecture, you cannot just speed up all operations with the gpu but have to offload dedicated tasks. Question is how many of LR's operations qualify, and if only boxes with large-memory monster-gpus will profit.

Afaik the manufacturers are working on the next-gen gpu designs that can access/share the main memory of the computer, because as of now OpenCL and so on have their bottleneck when copying data between main/cpu and gpu memory.

Upvote 0
I am most excited for the facial recognition part (and of course any speed enhancements). I have been waiting on this feature for years and could really use it in my catalog (includes family photos dating back decades).

@Marsu42 - Personally I want to own the software. The main reason for this is simple, I only want Lightroom and not Photoshop. If I need Photoshop for something I can just use it at work. The cost of doing the photography package is far greater than just buying the software. $140 to buy the program, or just rent it for barely over a year. Considering it has been 2 years since Lightroom 5 came out, paying the subscription is a worse deal if all you want is Lightroom. And when you take into account the upgrade price is only $88, that is even better.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Marsu42 said:
Canon Rumors said:
Some key features coming in Adobe Lightroom 6

Never mind the features, but I do hope they'll have the courage to drop the "perpetual" licenses and switch to a pure subscription model!

The PS+LR deal is incredibly good, and the more people participate and don't cling to "buying" the software the cheaper the rates might get! What do you think?
'

GOOD LORD Why???

I do *not* want to rent my software...why not have the option to rent if you want, and purchase if you want?

I'm hoping that LR6 will still be available in a standalone configuration. Right now I have CS6 and am quite happy to remain there until either Adobe opens back up to perpetual license for its products, or others come to replace them from competitors.

So far, yes, Adobe has some nice additions in Photoshop and other tools, but nothing so ground shaking that I feel compelled to rent my software from them.

Upvote 0
Whereas now having gone back to Photoshop to fix skin and hair and eyes and stuff, I most certainlty welcome any detail tools LR will introduce. I cannot understand I actually had the time to airbrush the skin, correct the color globally and in the patches and fool around with the Wacom pen like for an hour for each shot.
I am really yearning to see what LR has come up with.
I turn the wifi off while I am manipulating photos.
They will hate that!

Yes, I know. If you have the make-up and the lights right and you focus on what you are doing you will not need 60 minutes of Wacom time for each shot. Unless you are crawling up the learning curve. To get...somewhere?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.