Adobe Lightroom Mobile Version Official

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href=""></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="">Tweet</a></div>
Adobe has <a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/lightroom-mobile.html?PID=3485381" target="_blank">officially announced the long expected Adobe Lightroom mobile version</a> for iPad.</p>
<p><strong>Features</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Sync mobile edits, metadata and collection changes back to the Lightroom catalog on a Mac or Windows computer.</li>
<li>Automatically import images captured on an iPad and sync back to a Lightroom catalog on the desktop.</li>
<li>Work on images, even when your iPad is offline, for a truly portable experience.</li>
<li>Sync photos between Lightroom 5 and Lightroom mobile; synced photos can also be viewed from any Web browser.</li>
</ul>
<p>Lightroom for iPad is included in the Photoshop Photography Program that also includes Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC</p>
<p><a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/lightroom-mobile.html?PID=3485381" target="_blank">Download Lightroom Mobile</a></p>
<p>Camera RAW 8.4 & Lightroom 5.4 were also released.</p>
<ul>
<li>Adobe Lightroom 5.4: <a href="http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-3006718-10503029?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.adobe.com%2Fsupport%2Fdownloads%2Fdetail.jsp%3FftpID%3D5740" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Macintosh</a> | <a href="http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-3006718-10503029?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.adobe.com%2Fsupport%2Fdownloads%2Fdetail.jsp%3FftpID%3D5741" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Windows</a></li>
<li>See more about <a href="http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-3006718-10503029?url=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.adobe.com%2Flightroomjournal%2F2014%2F04%2Fcamera-raw-8-4-and-dng-converter-8-4-now-available.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Adobe Camera Raw 8.4</a></li>
</ul>
<p>Source: [<a href="http://photorumors.com/2014/04/08/adobe-lightroom-for-ipad-released/" target="_blank">PR</a>]</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Oct 15, 2010
Broken for me. I added the app to my iPad and then upgraded to LR 5.4 on my PC and started to sync a few photos via Collections and I keep getting the message:

"Sync has been turned off. This appears to be a backup catalog which may be out of date with Lightroom mobile."
To make this your sync catalog, go to: Edit > Preferences > Lightroom Mobile and click the "Delete All Data" button to start fresh.

I have done this numerous times and am getting nowhere. A tad buggy out of the blocks, me thinks!

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
DFM said:
No, sorry. Lr Mobile is only available for customers with an active subscription (CC or the PS/Lr Photography Program). Perpetual licenses of Lightroom cannot sync with it.

and why is that? We have paid for our perpetual LR licenses too,. FU arrogant Adobe!

And do take note: I will not rent your software or join an annual pay subscription model ... ever, no matter what you do. And if you push me and if no better software alternative becomes available, I will revert back to Canon DPP to process RAWs.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
Same argument in the past week with the release of Office for iPad - you need to step up and buy an Office365 license.

Weird. I reverted back to a backup catalog from last night and LR still seemed stuck trying to sync my original files. I deleted the mobile catalog again and synced some RAW files rather than the original TIF and PSD's which I had in existing collections.

Got it working - will try it out and see how it goes. They will definitely need to fix the DB sync issue I was experiencing as something is gummed up in the sync process for sure.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
I have Lightroom 5 I dont have or want CC or PS/Lr subscription. Adobe forced its customers to accept a monthly subscription for CC and now is trying to do the same with Lr by making the mobile version subscription only.

As Im completely Apple I will in future move to Aperture it already works on iPad and Im not forced into a monthly subscription unlike my daughter who uses CC. professionally.

Upvote 0
It says this will import photos taken with the iPad... but it would be more useful to sync photos from my 5D3 to my ipad, do touch ups in the field with the iPad and then sync with my computer when I get home. Is that a possible use case? I assume I'd need to buy some accessory to transfer files that way since there's no SD or CF slot on the iPad. I'll have to do some more investigation with this as it seems like a cool workflow option.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
yorgasor said:
It says this will import photos taken with the iPad... but it would be more useful to sync photos from my 5D3 to my ipad, do touch ups in the field with the iPad and then sync with my computer when I get home. Is that a possible use case? I assume I'd need to buy some accessory to transfer files that way since there's no SD or CF slot on the iPad. I'll have to do some more investigation with this as it seems like a cool workflow option.

You can buy the Photo Import dongle for iPad, careful with third party knockpoffs - not all of them work. You import photos into your filmroll and then they are on the iPad - I don't know if you can import them into LR on iPad though. I have not yet encountered an import feature - it appears to sync with MAC/PC Collections instead. I have also not found a selection method beyond Pick/Unflag.

The workflow you describe would be awesome. Shoot, upload to iPad, quick selections/edits and then upload to mothership but I don't think the mobile version is there yet.

Upvote 0
Um, not NO, but HELL NO. Doesn't sync with non-CC Lightroom? What an insult.
And yet again I laugh. Chuckle. Shake head. No Android version. Why? Well, sorry to be so negative here but... :(

[ALERT: BEGIN RANT]

I'm a techie but I don't do Apple. It's too expensive for pretty hardware and a locked in ecosystem. The devices are great but Apple isn't. And Apple stuff isn't as perfect as people who have never used it think because many who do use Apple stuff sugar coat the experience. They refuse to admit any faults exist whatsoever, even when they do complain they immediately excuse the problem or decide the problem isn't significant. (I've never quite understood this but Apple has always had the best Kool-Aid ever made. They've got their market HOOKED!)

And now we have yet another example of how using Apple just sucks more money out of your wallet thanks to Adobe, Apple's long time buddy. Yes, I know Adobe practices aren't technically Apple's doing but their ecosystem is becoming very similar. And so Microsoft, Adobe, et al all see the Apple consumer as a spendthrift that will keep spending to get the maximum limited functionality that they crave with Apple products. That's why they feel comfortable testing their subscription model on them first, in an ecosystem that is already designed to be a steady revenue stream.

Ironically for me, the iPad Air is the first iPad I have even considered plunking down $800 outrageous bucks for and so this new LR app got my attention. Then I read all the built-in LR limitations and subscription details and I lost all interest. Just like every other time, I learn that I will be forced to spend, spend, spend to get the functionality I want, if it is even possible. Apple has so many roadblocks to productivity and versatility that I gave up years ago trying to use their products because I wasn't willing to conform to their narrow vision and be punished for trying to expand past it or work around it.

Apple products are primarily designed to generate revenue for Apple, not provide user functionality as a primary function. Every single thing is built to drive you to stay online, buy Apple media content, apps and hardware accessories in a vain attempt to reach an unreachable goal of usability. Unless your usage goal fits within the Apple model of limited use which includes consuming media content, buying apps, web surfing and checking email, you will be disappointed. Even something as simple as setting up an iPad to sync a Google Calendar (instead of or in addition to the Apple Calendar) often results in problems. Apple rarely admits to bugs and problems and often takes forever to admit or issue fixes. Their support is disappointing, esp for what they charge for their products.

[END OF RANT]

I'll continue to support the alternative Nexus, Kindle and Nook tablets that offer more functionality, better and more versatile hardware and a more diverse and supportive ecosystem. It's no wonder that Android overtook Apple years ago in market share. Once ver 4 arrived, the Android OS really started to shine.

Again, I think there is a reason why there is no Android version designed like this. It's on purpose people.

Sorry again for the RANT but it really irks me that I could get a lot of anything else (tablets, camera equipment, moving vehicles) that provide much more use for what Apple thinks I should spend for a simple tablet device. And slowly Adobe is working on getting more of my wallet as well. So I choose to vote with my wallet and say NO! (And try to convince others to do the same.) Grrrr!!

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
bitm2007 said:
and why is that? We have paid for our perpetual LR licenses too,. FU arrogant Adobe!

It's the clearest indication yet that the full version of Lightroom will be subscription only in the future.

No, it isn't. One has nothing to do with the other.

That seems... optimistic. If you could subscribe to LRM on its own, then maybe they would have nothing to do with one another. The fact that one cannot get LRM without also buying some version of CC (products I don't want) would seem to point towards Adobe planning to force everyone into some version of a subscription model. I see no reason they wouldn't put LR6 or LR7 in that same boat. If you accept the basic premise that the subs have increased their revenue (looking at their quarterly numbers they haven't, but they also haven't decreased, and they continue to add new subscribers, which points to them starting to grow again probably in Q2 - certainly their stock price says the plan is working), then there's no reason to think they wouldn't move all products to the subscription model. They just need to find a price point.

If I were a betting man, I would say LR7. But then I would reflect, and remember that Adobe always moves faster than I expect, and say LR6. We'll see.

Upvote 0
I've had a play with it very briefly. I just happened to subscribe to CC last week when the 9.99 was available for people who don't own previous PS versions. You can add from the iPads camera roll which means you can also use a camera connection kit and add to the camera roll and then into the LR Mobile app. You have to go to the collections screen and then there is a settings button on the lower right of each collection thumbnail and you get the option there to add from the camera roll.

Adjustments are fast and you can do all the adjustments in the main basic area of LR but not the Detail or any of the others. You can crop and you can do very quick flag and rejects by just swiping up or down respectively. It immediately syncs back your changes to LR on your home computer if you are connected to internet. You can tell it to use 3G or not if you have 3G iPad.

In LR on your computer you can only sync from your collections pane and only base level collections can be selected (you can't select an entire collection set in one click) also you can't select individual pictures to sync (at least so far I can't find a way) so it may make more sense to make a dedicated collection for syncing and then reorder back at home?? Sync is fairly slow, I did 180 photos and it took at least 15-20 mins to get them all up to the iPad.

First impressions: somewhat useful for me...maybe....I will need to see if I can move files directly from memory card onto iPad and into LR but I can't see that working very well if you haven't already loaded the raws on your main computer/drives. It would end up being just a jpeg that would get synced and wouldn't have any relation to the raw file that you may import later at home??

Upvote 0