Adobe Lightroom Mobile Version Official

"I'm a techie but I don't do Apple. It's too expensive for pretty hardware and a locked in ecosystem."

Ya, that locked-in ecosystem might be a solid reason the mobile app is limited to iOS at this time, doncha think? I rather doubt Adobe is going to stop there, iPad is a shrinking market, android and win8 tablets are storming the gates.

"And now we have yet another example of how using Apple just sucks more money out of your wallet thanks to Adobe, Apple's long time buddy. "

Don't see that at all. Jobs littered the roadway, trying to stall Adobe market share - very much a love-hate relationship, an uneasy partnership at best. See "Flash".
Thomas Knoll remarked that they lost 2 million man hours of work when Apple decided Carbon wouldn't do 64bit.

"Apple products are primarily designed to generate revenue for Apple, not provide user functionality as a primary function."

Commerce must work differently on your planet.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
odoketa said:
...would seem to point towards Adobe planning to force everyone into some version of a subscription model.

I don't think Adobe has made a secret of their desire to do that...

All software companies want a subscription model and they always have since the beginning of time.

The only thing stopping "Software as a Service" in the past was limited connectivity. Today, always-on high speed Internet and connectivity saturation ('The Cloud') has made all kinds of subscription based models feasible. As much as I hate the idea, it will likely be a reality and unavoidable in the near future. My concern is not the model itself but the inevitable lack of value for the consumer once most companies have subscriptions in place and then fail to provide quality and good ROI for the revenue stream they receive on a constant basis. Most people fail to consider the long term cost of a subscription model and so the provider is able to mask their poor product/service/support behind a low monthly cost model. Just look at how much you like your local cable provider to get a taste of this. That is a good example of charge first (raise rates) and provide better value, service or ask permission later, if at all.

Upvote 0
wtlloyd said:
"I'm a techie but I don't do Apple. It's too expensive for pretty hardware and a locked in ecosystem."

Ya, that locked-in ecosystem might be a solid reason the mobile app is limited to iOS at this time, doncha think? I rather doubt Adobe is going to stop there, iPad is a shrinking market, android and win8 tablets are storming the gates.

You're right, I don't think they will stop with Apple. I just know they wouldn't be as successful starting this strategy if they tried it with the Android market initially.

wtlloyd said:
"And now we have yet another example of how using Apple just sucks more money out of your wallet thanks to Adobe, Apple's long time buddy. "

Don't see that at all. Jobs littered the roadway, trying to stall Adobe market share - very much a love-hate relationship, an uneasy partnership at best. See "Flash".
Thomas Knoll remarked that they lost 2 million man hours of work when Apple decided Carbon wouldn't do 64bit.

Good point. But Adobe software isn't Flash. Totally different division. Adobe Flash truly sucks and I actually applauded Jobs for telling it like it is and standing up to Adobe on this point. I wish Flash had gone away years ago but there simply hasn't been a good enough alternative for universal web content yet. Javascript is also a huge problem but yet again, until a decent alternative can replace it, Javascript will continue to exist and receive security updates into infinity.

It's another odd fact of the Apple media world that so many negatives about Apple fail to make headlines. Many, many software companies were badly burned or put out of business by Apple's merciless App Store rules and arbitrary decisions about whether or not an app would be "allowed" to enter the sacred realm. This is one of the reasons I hate Apple so much. They not only abuse their consumer, they crucify their development community. It borders on criminal how many developers have been burned by Apple with little or no explanation. While hundreds of 'Fart Apps' would make it into the app store right away, truly productive apps that required hundreds of man hours to build would be summarily denied with no explanation putting some app developers out of business before they made a penny betting on Apple.

wtlloyd said:
"Apple products are primarily designed to generate revenue for Apple, not provide user functionality as a primary function."

Commerce must work differently on your planet.
I don't understand your comment ???

On my planet, the Apple ecosystem is designed around consumption of all things Apple using all Apple hardware through the Apple App Store, iTunes Store, Apple Online and Retail Stores, etc. Or they receive other money from licensing and patents. They directly or indirectly discourage or downright punish any attempt to get around that using other software, apps, services or devices. If all else fails, they just sue the crap out of you for just about anything they can dream up.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
arbitrage said:
You can add from the iPads camera roll which means you can also use a camera connection kit and add to the camera roll and then into the LR Mobile app. You have to go to the collections screen and then there is a settings button on the lower right of each collection thumbnail and you get the option there to add from the camera roll.

Tried this and it works well - thanks for pointing it out! Have not tried to import the film roll collection in my PC yet, I will have to wait until later to try that out.

Are you the same Arbitrage from FM?

Upvote 0
Zv said:
Question - if I give in to CC and pay the monthly subscription and later down the line I say "nah, I wanna go back to LR4" could I do that? Not sure how it works.

Here is the problem with going on to CC and then quitting (and reverting back to LR5, LR4, Photoshop CS6, etc.):

Any file that you worked on and saved from CC will contain adjustments, filters, layers (for PS) that do not exist in the older version of the application. When you try to open the file in the older software, one of two things could happen:

1) File will load but the unknown adjustments will be thrown away.
2) File will not load because it is from an "unknown or incompatible version".

Someone who is on CC and also has a copy of LR4 or 5 could test this out by applying an adjustment that is exclusive to CC, and then see what happens when opened in the older one.

One serious problem with CC is that, when you quit the subscription, you do not get to keep the latest version. With the old upgrade scheme, whenever you decided to quit upgrading, you always kept the last one you paid for, and your files remained usable. This is why I have opted not to subscribe, and continue to use LR6 and PS CS6 (which do everything I need).

Upvote 0
arbitrage said:
I've had a play with it very briefly. I just happened to subscribe to CC last week when the 9.99 was available for people who don't own previous PS versions. You can add from the iPads camera roll which means you can also use a camera connection kit and add to the camera roll and then into the LR Mobile app. You have to go to the collections screen and then there is a settings button on the lower right of each collection thumbnail and you get the option there to add from the camera roll.

Adjustments are fast and you can do all the adjustments in the main basic area of LR but not the Detail or any of the others. You can crop and you can do very quick flag and rejects by just swiping up or down respectively. It immediately syncs back your changes to LR on your home computer if you are connected to internet. You can tell it to use 3G or not if you have 3G iPad.

In LR on your computer you can only sync from your collections pane and only base level collections can be selected (you can't select an entire collection set in one click) also you can't select individual pictures to sync (at least so far I can't find a way) so it may make more sense to make a dedicated collection for syncing and then reorder back at home?? Sync is fairly slow, I did 180 photos and it took at least 15-20 mins to get them all up to the iPad.

First impressions: somewhat useful for me...maybe....I will need to see if I can move files directly from memory card onto iPad and into LR but I can't see that working very well if you haven't already loaded the raws on your main computer/drives. It would end up being just a jpeg that would get synced and wouldn't have any relation to the raw file that you may import later at home??

Thanks this is useful info. For travel this could work as a "shoot - edit - share" solution on the go. I suppose tethering is out of the question? That would seem like an Apple limitation. I hate the lack of connectivity on the iPad. It's like the perfect screen for tethered shooting but I can't use it!

Upvote 0
"I don't understand your comment ??? "

Ya, sorry, I can be a right jerk anytime, but particulary before the coffee kicks in...

I'm a PC/Android user as well, my loathing for all things Apple goes right back to the late '80s. I couldn't understand people not seeing a huge corporate behemoth lurking behind the cute adds and twee design...so many small startups were working on PC architecture, I saw the diversity and independence as a very good thing. My 1st computer was an AST386...

Completely agree on Flash and Java, looking forward to seeing their diminished use in website design.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
chmilar said:
This is why I have opted not to subscribe, and continue to use LR6 and PS CS6 (which do everything I need).
For now...
The next upgrade of Canon to say the 5D4 will require a Camera RAW upgrade that would likely only be available on the new CC platform regardless of whether or not they make LR a CC only subscription.

The majority of the features I use in LR and PS could be served with older versions but you fall into the trap of needing an update to support a filter or new device. I limped along with my 5D3 two years ago and I was running LR3 at the time and needed to upgrade to LR4 which at the time involved a new laptop (2k later). For months I converted files to DNG and then imported them - no tethered shooting, etc...

My point is, software has built in obsolescence and Adobe and Microsoft to name a few have adopted this model. If we want the new features we will need to pony up (or pirate) otherwise we can revert to our old perpetual licences or find open source variants.

Upvote 0
chmilar said:
Zv said:
Question - if I give in to CC and pay the monthly subscription and later down the line I say "nah, I wanna go back to LR4" could I do that? Not sure how it works.

Here is the problem with going on to CC and then quitting (and reverting back to LR5, LR4, Photoshop CS6, etc.):

Any file that you worked on and saved from CC will contain adjustments, filters, layers (for PS) that do not exist in the older version of the application. When you try to open the file in the older software, one of two things could happen:

1) File will load but the unknown adjustments will be thrown away.
2) File will not load because it is from an "unknown or incompatible version".

Someone who is on CC and also has a copy of LR4 or 5 could test this out by applying an adjustment that is exclusive to CC, and then see what happens when opened in the older one.

One serious problem with CC is that, when you quit the subscription, you do not get to keep the latest version. With the old upgrade scheme, whenever you decided to quit upgrading, you always kept the last one you paid for, and your files remained usable. This is why I have opted not to subscribe, and continue to use LR6 and PS CS6 (which do everything I need).

I see. So once you start paying the subscription you're basically tied to it for life. The only issue I have with that model is if they jack up the price somewhere down the line. Think I'll stick with what I have.

Upvote 0
Zv said:
Thanks this is useful info. For travel this could work as a "shoot - edit - share" solution on the go. I suppose tethering is out of the question? That would seem like an Apple limitation. I hate the lack of connectivity on the iPad. It's like the perfect screen for tethered shooting but I can't use it!

My point exactly (about Apple's built-in limits), which is why I use other tablets with the same or better screens and more connectivity, etc. Not to mention media card slots, etc.

And honestly, if I were going to spend $800 on a Apple tablet, that kind of money could likely be better spent on an ultralight touchscreen tablet/laptop hybrid which are getting so good that they are beginning to make more sense as a better alternative to an expensive limited tablet. Check out the newest Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro for $1000 - $1200. It's very nice and extremely versatile. Compare that to the $800 Apple tablet that you still have to buy a keyboard cover for and all kinds of other gizmos to expand its limited storage and connectivity.

Upvote 0
Jamesy said:
chmilar said:
This is why I have opted not to subscribe, and continue to use LR6 and PS CS6 (which do everything I need).
My point is, software has built in obsolescence and Adobe and Microsoft to name a few have adopted this model. If we want the new features we will need to pony up (or pirate) otherwise we can revert to our old perpetual licences or find open source variants.

I agree. At some point in the future, it will be necessary to find alternatives outside of Adobe's products. I think this is preferable to getting locked into a CC subscription. More pain and effort in the short-term, but better in the long.

Upvote 0
Jamesy said:
chmilar said:
For now...
The next upgrade of Canon to say the 5D4 will require a Camera RAW upgrade that would likely only be available on the new CC platform regardless of whether or not they make LR a CC only subscription.

The majority of the features I use in LR and PS could be served with older versions but you fall into the trap of needing an update to support a filter or new device. I limped along with my 5D3 two years ago and I was running LR3 at the time and needed to upgrade to LR4 which at the time involved a new laptop (2k later). For months I converted files to DNG and then imported them - no tethered shooting, etc...

Which is why many talented coders continue to hack around these scams so people have a choice.

It's a shame that greed is (and always has) driven the software corporate structure. I'm all for developers being compensated but the software industry seems to be slowly following the incredibly flawed anti-piracy model of the RIAA/MPAA that intentionally burns everyone in a vain greedy attempt to lock people into spending tons of money for questionable value of products and services.

Upvote 0
chmilar said:
Jamesy said:
chmilar said:

I agree. At some point in the future, it will be necessary to find alternatives outside of Adobe's products. I think this is preferable to getting locked into a CC subscription. More pain and effort in the short-term, but better in the long.

chmilar, you hit the nail on the head! If more folks would simply...

- NOT Pre-Order overpriced or questionable products
- WAIT a few months to force the manufacturer or developer to lower/change their unfair price or pricing scheme/model
- SHARE and COMMUNICATE their true opinions for the manufacturer or developer to see and consider

... then I think companies would think more carefully how ridiculous they are when it comes time to ask for money for their products and how they attempt to manipulate the consumers to get it.

Upvote 0

tntwit

Enthusiastic Amateur
Mar 3, 2012
WNY
RustyTheGeek said:
I'm a techie but I don't do Apple.

Actually, I think most techies 'don't do Apple' since Android offers more customization. I think it is actually the non-techies that like Apple for it's simplicity.

RustyTheGeek said:
And Apple stuff isn't as perfect as people who have never used it think because many who do use Apple stuff sugar coat the experience.

No company or product is perfect and Apple is no different. What I find entertaining is how many people love to hate Apple. If you were to base a buying decision on opinions from certain sites on the internet on Apple, you would probably never buy any. Specifically check out the opinions of forum posters on Phone Arena. Most people there would have you believe that the iPhone and iPad are horrible products that only a 'stupid comsumer' - iSheep as they like to call them - would ever buy.

So while it may be true that some Apple users sugar coat the experience, there are plenty of Apple haters that will give you a very poor impression of the products that is just as far from reality.

RustyTheGeek said:
Apple products are primarily designed to generate revenue for Apple, not provide user functionality as a primary function.

All companies products or services are designed to generate revenue - that's what keeps them in business and if said products or services didn't "provide user functionality as a primary function" the company wouldn't be successful for very long. I think we can agree that Apple has had some success.

RustyTheGeek said:
I'll continue to support the alternative Nexus, Kindle and Nook tablets that offer more functionality, better and more versatile hardware and a more diverse and supportive ecosystem.

I have and love the Kindle Fire, but it has been widely considered to be nothing more than a portal for Amazon sales and it is very limited due to Amazon locking down the Android system it is based on. Nothing wrong with that and I knew it going in, but considering your opinion about Apple only making products to drive revenue, I am surprised you would be interested and supportive of the Kindle. I do suspect, though, that you may have hacked yours and use it beyond the intentions Amazon had in mind - but maybe not.

To clarify, I had 2 Android phones (my wife still has hers) and now have an iPhone 5c and an iPad Air, so I have used both OS. I think they are both good systems with different strengths and weakness like anything else. For someone like yourself, Android is no doubt the better choice for most of what it seems you like to do.

Upvote 0

lastcoyote

5D Mark III
Sep 19, 2012
Brighton, England
arbitrage said:
I've had a play with it very briefly. I just happened to subscribe to CC last week when the 9.99 was available for people who don't own previous PS versions. You can add from the iPads camera roll which means you can also use a camera connection kit and add to the camera roll and then into the LR Mobile app. You have to go to the collections screen and then there is a settings button on the lower right of each collection thumbnail and you get the option there to add from the camera roll.

Adjustments are fast and you can do all the adjustments in the main basic area of LR but not the Detail or any of the others. You can crop and you can do very quick flag and rejects by just swiping up or down respectively. It immediately syncs back your changes to LR on your home computer if you are connected to internet. You can tell it to use 3G or not if you have 3G iPad.

In LR on your computer you can only sync from your collections pane and only base level collections can be selected (you can't select an entire collection set in one click) also you can't select individual pictures to sync (at least so far I can't find a way) so it may make more sense to make a dedicated collection for syncing and then reorder back at home?? Sync is fairly slow, I did 180 photos and it took at least 15-20 mins to get them all up to the iPad.

First impressions: somewhat useful for me...maybe....I will need to see if I can move files directly from memory card onto iPad and into LR but I can't see that working very well if you haven't already loaded the raws on your main computer/drives. It would end up being just a jpeg that would get synced and wouldn't have any relation to the raw file that you may import later at home??

Funny I just subscribed to the CC Photoshop Photography Program in the last few days too.
I was going to explain the iPad camera roll import thing but you've saved me the trouble :)
I've had a quick play and think it's pretty good. No problems here with syncing. I just simply created a collection called iPad dedicated for my camera roll imports.

Upvote 0

lastcoyote

5D Mark III
Sep 19, 2012
Brighton, England
Jamesy said:
lastcoyote said:
I just simply created a collection called iPad dedicated for my camera roll imports.
Does that Collection sync back up to your PC? If the Collection does not exist on your main LR PC does it create it for you and then transfer the images from the iPad?

I believe I created it in LR on my PC and it then popped up in LR on my iPad. I then imported from my camera roll using LR on my iPad and these then appeared in the collection on my PC.

I've only tested it this way so far. So not sure what would happen if you create a collection on the iPad first. I get the feeling you may still have to create it on your PC LR too because you have to set the collection to be a synced one.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
lastcoyote said:
Jamesy said:
lastcoyote said:
I just simply created a collection called iPad dedicated for my camera roll imports.
Does that Collection sync back up to your PC? If the Collection does not exist on your main LR PC does it create it for you and then transfer the images from the iPad?

I believe I created it in LR on my PC and it then popped up in LR on my iPad. I then imported from my camera roll using LR on my iPad and these then appeared in the collection on my PC.

I've only tested it this way so far. So not sure what would happen if you create a collection on the iPad first. I get the feeling you may still have to create it on your PC LR too because you have to set the collection to be a synced one.

Makes sense. I will try this later today once I am near my home LR PC.

Upvote 0
tntwit said:
RustyTheGeek said:
And Apple stuff isn't as perfect as people who have never used it think because many who do use Apple stuff sugar coat the experience.

No company or product is perfect and Apple is no different. What I find entertaining is how many people love to hate Apple. If you were to base a buying decision on opinions from certain sites on the internet on Apple, you would probably never buy any. Specifically check out the opinions of forum posters on Phone Arena. Most people there would have you believe that the iPhone and iPad are horrible products that only a 'stupid comsumer' - iSheep as they like to call them - would ever buy.

So while it may be true that some Apple users sugar coat the experience, there are plenty of Apple haters that will give you a very poor impression of the products that is just a far from reality.

tntwit, I appreciate your balanced and positive replies. I think all of your replies to my points are good points and while I sound like an Apple hater, I'm not a hater per se, simply a disgusted and disappointed observer of an Apple ecosystem that I think could be so much better if it wasn't so expensive, intentionally limited and deceptive. In other words, Apple marketing is all about how positive and ideal they are on the surface but once a consumer buys in, they begin to learn how deep the money hole goes for limited benefit. I've helped a lot of clients try to get Apple stuff to work the way they would like (after switching from other platforms) and often they eventually give up and return to the other platforms after learning the sad reality that all things Apple is not the nirvana they were misled to believe.

Not to say that Apple stuff hasn't improved over the years and slowly become more productive. They are much better than they used to be. But Apple the company hasn't changed at all. In fact, the larger Apple gets, the more draconian and litigious they become.

I try (sometimes in vain) to explain what you have said: If you want a simple and limited experience that is easy to use but inflexible, buy Apple. Apple will make you happy as long as you do things their way.

With regard to Apple being successful locking people into their ecosystem for revenue compared to other companies, I respectfully submit that other companies products are much cheaper initially and they don't sue what seems like the entire world at the same time they fleece the consumers within their ecosystem. Amazon makes it pretty clear their tablet is a portal device. And the Nook tablets allowed the Google Play Store app last year to make it mostly universal. Google Nexus is of course not tied to anything. Apple also seems to think that everyone copies them at everything and while that is partially true, it's not nearly as true and Apple would like to think. It's sad to watch Apple sue so often over so many petty issues regarding names, images, trademarks, fonts, logos, devices, patents, URLs, or whatever they can imagine is theirs by some kind of divine right. It's not the ecosystem model that I mind, it's the way Apple does business that I get tired of along with the poor support of their products down the line. This is what most folks don't hear about until they own the products for a while. While the Apple of the '80's was exciting and revolutionary, the company they evolved into is simply a huge greedy bully.

Upvote 0