Am I the Only One who Thinks the RF Lens Physical Design Sucks?

Which ways do you think RF SYSTEM is harder to use than EF?

• Total voters

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
OK, I have had cataracts, then cataract surgery, and can't really see things I'm holding that well. I can see very well but only at a fixed distance, of my computer screen. It makes shooting hard when I can't read the camera controls and can't see my subject well :-D But I can see perfectly in the viewfinder due to adjustable diopter.

ANYWAY, yes, I have just now studied a lens (at arm's length, where I can see it) and realize they have a smooth black stripe that must line up with the tiny red mark. So now I know how to cap them reliably. But I can't see the red dot nor the smooth black stripe unless I hold the things out as far away as I can. Fair enough, no surprise they're not catering to blind photographers! And I can put a day-glo yellow sticker on them.

But even if you know this mark has to line up, even if you can see them, you still have to DO it. You have to search for the red mark... search for the smooth stripe... THEN mount the back cap. In 25 years of using my EF system I never looked at the back caps. I have no idea how they work--because I didn't need to know. I hold the cap up, and turn a bit and it snaps on...

The serial number issue is pretty straightforward--I can see it in the EXIF data... I can see where it's written on the lens and actually I CAN read it, again, if I hold the lens at arm's length...
May I recommend bifocal glasses if not varifocals. I don't like the new caps but I can usually feel when to click them into place.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
May I recommend bifocal glasses if not varifocals. I don't like the new caps but I can usually feel when to click them into place.
Thanks Alan! I've been thinking about that! A photo friend says the $700 Zeiss (or Schneider?) ones are best and worth the money over the cheapo Chinese/Japanese ones.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks Alan! I've been thinking about that! A photo friend says the $700 Zeiss (or Schneider?) ones are best and worth the money over the cheapo Chinese/Japanese ones.
I had been using varifocals for I think 40 years and before that bifocals. I've now gone back to bifocals - it's like primes vs zooms, except that the zoom equivalents are much more expensive and more demanding on precision of view. The FoV of varifocals seems to have got narrower on me.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The only thing that bugs me is the rear cap.
There's a German Canon dealer who sells a rear lenscap which can be mounted in all 3 120 degree positions. I bought some, since I truly hated the RF caps, and they work, even though are quite expensive. But when speed matters, the price is quickly forgotten.
Look for "www.achatzy.de"

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
There's a German Canon dealer who sells a rear lenscap which can be mounted in all 3 120 degree positions. I bought some, since I truly hated the RF caps, and they work, even though are quite expensive. But when speed matters, the price is quickly forgotten.
Look for "www.achatzy.de"
That website came up as a car one?

Upvote 0
The only issue I have with RF lenses is the rear cap. That aside, I love their design, and for the sake of the safety of the lens, I am glad Canon did not give them a metal housing...doing so would more likely cause damage if the lens gets dropped.

I love the high-grade plastic housing for protection for a dropped lens, but also because scuffs and marks are easily rubbed off with you fingers. It's almost as if the finish is "self-healing".

I also like that Canon removed the distance range meter, and other useless markings, making for a cleaner minimalist design. Its all one-stop shopping in the finder, as it should be, and for a smoother quicker workflow as one takes a picture.

The so-called "hood" Canon offers their RF 35 and RF 24 is a joke and of terrible design and usefulness. I went with a 3rd party...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The rear lens cap situation is wildly frustrating.

I don't know if it can be rectified with a new cap design, but whoever can do it first will be able to replace the Charmin in their bathroom with rolls of $100 bills.
It’s been done. And discussed already in this short thread.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
@Del Paso do they only ship to Germany, Austria and Switzerland?
Sorry, but I found nowhere on their website the answer whether or not they ship outside Europe. But I cannot imagine them not doing so, Paypal payment being accepted.
If I were you, I'd contact them via email for shipping details, their website being quite vague upon this subject.
good luck!

Upvote 0