Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><strong>*Update*

</strong>It looks like it was the EF 50mm f/1.2L used to film in the video if you go with what On a Hazy Morning <a href="http://www.onahazymorning.com/blog/2015/2/6/canon-x-on-a-hazy-morning" target="_blank">posted on their blog</a>. It was fun to dream wasn’t it?</p>
<blockquote><p>…we’ve tried the 50mm f/1.2 lens on the EOS M3 camera while filming and we were so impressed with the results; super crisp quality with a beautiful and dreamy depth of field. We like that!</p></blockquote>
<p><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6raSxmk3_4c" width="100%" height="380" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe></p>
<p>In the above promotional video for the Canon EOS M3, we see what appears to be an EOS M3 shooting a lens that is set at f/1.2. During the entire promotional video, there’s no real mention of shooting with the EF to EF-M adaptor. Are we going to see a fast aperture EF-M lens coming soon?</p>
<p>You can see the f/1.2 setting at 2:21 of the video.</p>
<p>The video is worth a watch, as it shows a lot of the improvements in the EOS M3.</p>
<p><em>thanks X</em></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Cet

Jan 16, 2015
Damn, when I see this video yearning overwhelms me. Istanbul, my city! Making me feel so nostalgic, so melancholic... was this video really an advertisement for the EOS M3? To me it was much more advertisement for the wonderful city of Istanbul! Great video with great music, indeed.

BTT, I own the EOS M and even with the updated firmware it is nowhere as fast as it should be when it comes to shoot action. I have a little baby boy and also cats. When they are in action it needs a lot of good luck to capture the right moment. I am curious if the M3 is really that much faster compared to the M.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Good eyes! I didn't notice that the first time through the video. I also saw f/1.4s at other points in the video. It is entirely conceivable since Fujifilm has some fast X mount lenses for the X-T1 APS camera: 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4 and a 56mm f/1.2. These definitely were not pancakes though, more the size of small zooms.

Guess I can hold out hope that Canon USA will still release the M3 when some new lenses are available to make a more compelling offering. Some additional fast primes would be a nice addition to my M.

Upvote 0
ajfotofilmagem said:
I highly doubt it. ???

With scarce native lenses, I do not see how it could be priority launch a F1.2 lens with EF-M mount. :-X

This actually makes perfect sense. Currently there is a decent lens for the average user form UWA 11mm to telephoto of 200mm. The next logical step is to make more exotic lenses. Plus, one of the main reasons that people use Canon is that they have amazing glass and that is a main complaint about other systems is the lack of fast lenses. Also, no other mirror-less system (to my knowledge) has F1.2 lens. Talk about a way to carve out market share. i just hope that the price does not get crazy like some of the L lenses.

Upvote 0
jefflinde said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
I highly doubt it. ???

With scarce native lenses, I do not see how it could be priority launch a F1.2 lens with EF-M mount. :-X

This actually makes perfect sense. Currently there is a decent lens for the average user form UWA 11mm to telephoto of 200mm. The next logical step is to make more exotic lenses. Plus, one of the main reasons that people use Canon is that they have amazing glass and that is a main complaint about other systems is the lack of fast lenses. Also, no other mirror-less system (to my knowledge) has F1.2 lens. Talk about a way to carve out market share. i just hope that the price does not get crazy like some of the L lenses.

I disagree, it would be better if Canon populated the EOS-M ecosystem with smaller and cheaper f1.8-f/2 primes, say: 15mm; 30mm; 55mm and 85mm. One of the issues that I have with Fuji is the growing size and price of the lenses. From my perspective, I would love to try out the Fuji system as a complement to my 5D Mk3, but the lenses are priced in "jump system" not "complement my DSLR" territory.I am also concerned that the weight savings of the Fuji system are getting eroded: look at the size of their 90mm f/2 -Iis that a full frame capable lens?

Exotics are fine once you have a good basic system, but EOS-M is a long way from that. Each to their own, I suppose.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
jefflinde said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
I highly doubt it. ???

A quick search on Amazon found a few f/1.2 (or faster) lenses for mirrorless. Not necessarily cheap, but neither are some of the bodies they go with.
  • Fujifilm Fujinon XF 56mm f/1.2 for the X-T1 (R and R APD versions for $849 and $1499 respectively)
  • Panasonic Lumix G Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 for micro 4/3s for $1599
  • Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 for $899
  • Voigtlander 42.5mm, 25mm, and 17.5mm Nocton f/0.95 for micro 4/3s for $999, $1199, and $995 respectively

Upvote 0
If it was the 50L 1.2 via adaptor wouldn't it's profile stick out as a silhouette when we are looking at the back of the camera? The 50L isn't that small that it would be hidden by an EOS M3 body, would it? Hmmmm

Took a screenshot of that bit. The settings show f1.4 but since there is no EF-M f1.4 lens we are assuming it is the EF 50 1.4 or 1.2 but look at how the camera is being held. Seems quite light and not burdened by and adaptor.

(I know the f/1.2 bit comes later but I'm assuming they aren't carrying two different 50mm lenses around, that would be stupid just to show one at f1/1.4 and one shot at f1.2 so logic dictates it's the same lens)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
Zv said:
lintoni said:
There was that hint, late last year, of a new line of lenses. Maybe this is from that new line?

Nah the CPS guy debunked that in that interview about the 5Ds, it was just a bad translation. The new line is just the latest L series lenses after 2010 that were made with high resolution in mind.
Thanks, I'd missed that.

Upvote 0