An EF & RF mount hybrid mirrorless camera in the works [CR2]

Silent Shooting is one of the scene modes, but there is no option within it for releasing the shutter w/o a lens attached, which means no manual focus glass can be used in Silent Shooting mode.
That renders it a non-function from my POV - the scene modes are just of no practical use from my POV for a camera I'd use (YMMV) ;-)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Silent Shooting is one of the scene modes, but there is no option within it for releasing the shutter w/o a lens attached, which means no manual focus glass can be used in Silent Shooting mode.

Have you tried using the focus stacking workaround? With regular lenses it allows you to take a silent picture with the settings you want if you set the number of pictures to '2'. But I bet focus stacking will be disabled on manual focus lenses :(

Upvote 0
There's nothing wrong with outlandish speculation on a rumour site, I suppose, but there's a lot of wishful thinking going on in this thread. Fwiw I think this is unlikely full stop; the moving sensor is unlikely but not impossible (I'd never have believed an auto-moving flash head was realistic before they released one); the interchangeable backs is the most remote possibility.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
There's nothing wrong with outlandish speculation on a rumour site, I suppose, but there's a lot of wishful thinking going on in this thread. Fwiw I think this is unlikely full stop; the moving sensor is unlikely but not impossible (I'd never have believed an auto-moving flash head was realistic before they released one); the interchangeable backs is the most remote possibility.

I'm still betting on a relabeled adapter, it will look different, but in essence still be same thing as the current EF-RF adapter. But it won't be called that to appease all the people with knee-jerk reactions to the word 'adapter'.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
My craziest prediction for this camera. (Basically, what maybe could be, but knowing Canon, definitely won't actually happen.)

The camera would have a movable sensor as some have suggested, and also a mirror like a DSLR. The viewfinder is, at its heart, an OVF, but it's a hybrid design similar to Fuji's X Pro rangefinder cameras. So it's an OVF, but there is an EVF inside the viewfinder that can turn on or off. When the camera is acting as a DSLR, the EVF is mostly off, but maybe overlaying some info on top of the view through the OVF. When the camera is acting as a mirrorless, the EVF is on all the time and the mirror is locked in the up position.

When you mount an RF lens, the mirror locks up and the sensor moves forward to the proper position for an RF lens. The camera acts as a mirrorless. When you mount an EF lens, the sensor moves back to the proper position, and you get the option of locking the mirror up and using it as a mirrorless, or using it as a DSLR with an OVF.

Won't ever happen, but it's nice to dream. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
My craziest prediction for this camera. (Basically, what maybe could be, but knowing Canon, definitely won't actually happen.)

The camera would have a movable sensor as some have suggested, and also a mirror like a DSLR. The viewfinder is, at its heart, an OVF, but it's a hybrid design similar to Fuji's X Pro rangefinder cameras. So it's an OVF, but there is an EVF inside the viewfinder that can turn on or off. When the camera is acting as a DSLR, the EVF is mostly off, but maybe overlaying some info on top of the view through the OVF. When the camera is acting as a mirrorless, the EVF is on all the time and the mirror is locked in the up position.

When you mount an RF lens, the mirror locks up and the sensor moves forward to the proper position for an RF lens. The camera acts as a mirrorless. When you mount an EF lens, the sensor moves back to the proper position, and you get the option of locking the mirror up and using it as a mirrorless, or using it as a DSLR with an OVF.

Won't ever happen, but it's nice to dream. :rolleyes:
You say that won't happen, but there's a patent for exactly that from last year. If this setup happens, this is my guess on the setup for at least one of the bodies.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
You say that won't happen, but there's a patent for exactly that from last year. If this setup happens, this is my guess on the setup for at least one of the bodies.
I think it's just too much radical tech for Canon, which is very conservative. And I wouldn't be surprised if Fuji holds some kind of patent that makes that hybrid OVF/EVF technology exclusive to them. Has any other manufacturer ever done anything like that? Granted with Fuji it's on a rangefinder style camera, which is really the only type of camera you could do something like this on, except for the exotic setup I described. And granted digital rangefinders are definitely not the world's most popular camera style.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I predicted the moving sensor more than a year ago to explain the 'sexy' mount solution in pre-R rumours.
Such a system can't be done without a sensor on rails.

On the other hand, why on earth would Canon do that now, after the EOS R release?
It makes sense. If you are going to move the sensor for IBIS anyway, why not add one more axis. that would leave the flange at EF spacing with a sensor that could snuggle up to it for RF lenses. The extra camera depth would not be an issue with a 1 series body. You NEED the heft to manage long lenses. It would be quite the nice bit of precision machine work, though. Time will tell if the rumor has any substance.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
If you think you would really need 2 centimeters of IBIS actuators movement, maybe you should use a tripod or a gimbal instead.
No, you don't need 2 cm for IBIS. In fact you can't begin to use that much because of the limits of the lens image circle. OTOH, once the imager is moving at all, the connections need to be flexible, etc., so you are half way at least to being ready to do the focus position adjustment and although it would have more travel than IBIS, it is conceptually much simpler, because it just has to move from stop to stop and doesn't require all the sophisticated servo control that is needed for IBIS. At this point, it is just a rumor, but it is a technically feasible rumor.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
If the IDXMKIII is a big hit with 30MP or better or substantially better IQ with stills, it will give Canon a lot of credibility if an R Body could utilize EF lenses with no degradation. I'd spend $8,000 on the MKIII if it was 30MP for stills with an OVF. $4,000 to $4500 if it's just 20MP. It seems to be more of a video camera than for stills. I'm a photographer but know videographers who might be interested.

How does the EF to R adapter degrade anything? There are no optics in the tube. The RF protocol is an enhanced version of the EF protocol. They're all EOS components.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
That sounds like a great idea. I'm not at all convinced that 24mm of flange depth is worth obsoleting all of my existing EF lenses. Now that Canon has skimmed-off the early adopters (who were going to buy almost any mirrorless solution Canon offered) it would be nice to see a better solution for EF lenses going forward.

Adaptors get old really quickly and I'm guessing the integrated filter thing sounds better than it really works.

If I have to use an adapter anyway, I might as well just buy an S1R or a A7/A9.

edit: I really appreciate the rumors and such but I think it's time Canon gave us some visibility into where they are going. IMO the entire EF vs RF vs M rollout has been a complete cluster that has done nothing but create a lot of uncertainty about the future of the brand.

All adaptors are not the same. Adapting an EOS EF lens to an EOS RF camera is merely about the spacing and nothing else. The EF lens loses zero functionality on an RF camera. The same cannot be said when EF lenses are adapted to other manufacturers camera systems.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I assume Canon’s objective is to switch customers from the EF to the RF mount. Then why would it be in the corporate interest to go beyond adapters onto a hybrid approach which would make it easier for customers to stay with their EF lenses?

In the context of a pro camera (read: owned by photographers who also own white super teles which cost thousands of dollars, and object to using an adapter) it could make sense to give them a transition camera. If they have to spend $20,000 on a new MILC all at once, they might switch to a different manufacturer altogether.

Upvote 0