An update on the Canon 2021 roadmap [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Last week I wrote about cameras that I was told were coming in 2021 by a pretty solid source. That post has brought more information about the accuracy of the information.
A couple of other sources have now told me that while that information has some accuracy to it in the middle of last year, things have changed significantly with the roadmap.
The pandemic and manufacturing challenges that are still raging have changed the plans for 2021. One source told me that the “most exciting camera coming from Canon” will be in the 2nd half of the year, which would most likely be the EOS R1 (unconfirmed name).  Other product announcements have not been finalized as the situation Canon and others are facing make it “impossible to plan too far ahead”.
It sounds like we may have to temper our expectations for 2021. I also suspect there is going to be a lot of contradictory information about product...

Continue reading...

Edit: The 2020 1D X Mark III and D6 were supposed to be the bodies for that year's Summer Games.

Due to COVID-19 the 2020 Summer Games was moved 52 weeks forward into 2021. Both Canon & Nikon dSLRs will still be used for that events.

It is impossible for a MILC replacement of either body to debut before 1 January 2024.

If the R1 is the MILC replacement of the 2020 1D X Mark III then we're 36 months too early.

Double grip pro-bodies tend to be out Q1 of the year of the Summer Olympics.

Next Summer Games to occur after the rescheduled 2020 event is in 2024.

What is more likely are a MILC replacement of the
  • 2015 5Ds/5Ds R by June
  • 2014 7D Mark II by September.
RF L lenses I would like to see in 2021/2022
  • 15-35mm f/4L IS
  • 10-24mm f/4L IS
  • 70-200mm f/4L IS
  • 135mm f/2L IS or faster
  • 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
  • ~180mm f/3.5L IS Macro
  • 24mm f/1.4L
  • 35mm f/1.4L
  • 28-300mm IS wide to tele zoom
  • 8-15mm f/4L IS Fisheye
  • TS-R line up
What I'd like to see in 2023/2024
  • 200-400mm f/4L IS
  • 200mm f/2L IS
  • 300mm f/2.8L IS
  • 500mm f/4L IS
  • 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • 1200mm f/8L IS

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
If R1 is the MILC replacement of the 2020 1D X Mark III then you're 48 months too early.

Double grip pro-bodies tend to be out Q1 of the year of the Summer Olympics.

Next one's August 2024.

What is more likely are a MILC replacement of the 2015 5Ds/5Ds R by June & 2014 7D Mark II by September.
You're assuming a lot. They could very well have the summer Olympics this year, and my guess is that there's a slightly better chance that they will have it. That would mean that Canon would be wise to bring the R1 out now just in case it is held, and even if it is not held then they have a new R1 body out to drive more lens sales and particularly drive the sales of their upcoming RF big white lenses.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Or currently 23 July to 8 August 2021 in Tokyo, Japan.....
You're assuming a lot. They could very well have the summer Olympics this year, and my guess is that there's a slightly better chance that they will have it. That would mean that Canon would be wise to bring the R1 out now just in case it is held, and even if it is not held then they have a new R1 body out to drive more lens sales and particularly drive the sales of their upcoming RF big white lenses.
I believe though that 2021 is a nice year for the use of 1DxIII...
COVID-19 forced a 1 year delay for the 2020 Summer Olympics as such orders for the Mark III may have been delayed or even cancelled.

No time in Canon/Nikon's history has a double grip pro body received an update in less than 2 years.

Both companies need to recoup R&D expense as such they need to sell these bodies and not render them obsolete within 2 years by releasing their MILC replacement.

MILC replacement will come out Q1 of 2024 for that year's Summer Games.

Guys come on. Don't you keep with current events? This was news from March to June.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016

I'm interested in at least seeing the R1 specs. I would very much like to purchase my first "big white" this year. It will likely be my only big white. The body is likely to drive my purchase decision as much as whether Canon releases/announces an RF 600mm f/4. I could either go Sony or Canon. 600mm lens IQ and performance is pretty close across all brands, so weight is going to be a major factor. Currently, the weight of 600mm f/4 lenses is pretty close between the two brands (Nikon's version is a pound or two heavier). While I love my R5, I think that the AF still trails the Sony A9 in some respects. By contrast, the A9's low resolution is what prompted me to acquire an R5. I suspect that the next professional-level body releases from both companies will converge on all three dimensions (AF accuracy, AF performance, and higher resolution). If so, I'll stay with Canon. If not, I'll acquire the body/lens combo that best meets my needs/desires.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I love my 1DX iii, love the durability, the FPS, and the autonomy, but I am getting envious of the animal AF of the R5!
I think at some point they will update the firmware since the R6 with almost the same sensor and processor also has this feature (but they need to modify it so it works with a quicker mechanical shutter), although one has to use the fixed LCD screen on the 1DX III, which is a bit inconvenient.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
COVID-19 forced a 1 year delay for the 2020 Summer Olympics as such orders for the Mark III may have been delayed or even cancelled.
No time in Canon/Nikon's history has a double grip pro body received an update in less than 2 years.
Both companies need to recoup R&D expense as such they need to sell these bodies and not render them obsolete within 2 years by releasing their MILC replacement.
Guys come on. Don't you keep with current events? This was news from March to June.
It would definitely break precedent for them to release it now, but it wouldn't break all precedent. This is, thanks to Covid, an Olympic year. If they released something before March, it'd be a match relative to the Olympic scheduling but not a match from the standpoint of how often they update models. I could imagine them doing it, if only because Covid has upended a lot of things and forced many traditions to be altered. (However, the rumor claims it will be later this year, so there's that!)
And it's "only" 36 months too early for 2024 (Q1 2024 - Q1 2021 = 3 years).

Upvote 0
Always a shame to hear about delays, especially when there’s such exciting items on the list, but ultimately it’s great that they seem to be focusing on manufacturing. Shiny new headlines are great, but when B&H still lists the C70 as “coming soon” and R5 as “new item - limited quantity“, there’s definitely some catchup to do for existing demand

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016

So, perhaps the MILC release won't be the Mark III replacement. Rumor is that this pro-level release will be high-resolution model with upgraded AF, performance and built specs. Photojournalists don't want a high-resolution camera, so this high-resolution camera can be sold alongside the Mark III without cannibalizing Mark III sales (overly). At least that's what I hope.

Upvote 0
It would definitely break precedent for them to release it now, but it wouldn't break all precedent. This is, thanks to Covid, an Olympic year. If they released something before March, it'd be a match relative to the Olympic scheduling but not a match from the standpoint of how often they update models. I could imagine them doing it, if only because Covid has upended a lot of things and forced many traditions to be altered. (However, the rumor claims it will be later this year, so there's that!)
And it's "only" 36 months too early for 2024 (Q1 2024 - Q1 2021 = 3 years).
Reread my post then read my revised post.

It makes zero business sense to trash the R&D expense of the 1D Mark III a year later for a R1.

Anyone who will wait for the R1 to come out before July 2021 will only be disappointed.

Upvote 0