And I always thought I'd never see a red ring EF-S lens

Jan 3, 2014
It actually looks good. Maybe I will do that. I know I have a red Sharpie around somewhere.

I use that lens a fair amount for shooting quick, informal videos. Facebook stuff. It would be great for shooting a backyard BBQ, for example. You can get close to people with the 15mm and then you can catch Uncle Clyde napperizing across the yard after having a few brewskies. I like the lens because it is lightweight, produces fairly good results, and was not too expensive. It focuses fairly well too.

Upvote 0

WIDEnet

Where does this go? Oh, that's where.
Jan 23, 2015
daniela said:
I´m not very happy with such "Photoshop work". I´d rather say this is criminal.

What, precisely, is "criminal" about making a slight physical alteration to your own lens for your own purposes, and then clearly disclosing such when selling it? Unless, of course, I am missing some sarcasm here...

Upvote 0
Well, I am sorry guys. I was in troubles some time ago, when I ordered an used "II" Version of my new lens.
I received it, but was unhappy with it. I showed it to an wildlife photographer and he told me, that the "II" engraving is on an false Position on the small plate on the lens.
This is criminal. it is like you paint three stripes on your hiking boots to suggest it Comes from Adidas. If I would be an photographer who is not familiar with all existing Canon lenses, you could be disappointed.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
daniela said:
Well, I am sorry guys. I was in troubles some time ago, when I ordered an used "II" Version of my new lens.
I received it, but was unhappy with it. I showed it to an wildlife photographer and he told me, that the "II" engraving is on an false Position on the small plate on the lens.
This is criminal. it is like you paint three stripes on your hiking boots to suggest it Comes from Adidas. If I would be an photographer who is not familiar with all existing Canon lenses, you could be disappointed.

If you're buying a used lens, you should do your research appropriately. I've seen ample ads showing images of a MkII supertele lens at too-good-to-be-true prices that are obviously the MkI version. As you say, actually physically altering the lens is criminal (that wasn't the case in the ads to which I refer). But if someone showed a picture of a Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS VIII (Mk8) lens, wouldn't you question it? A simple google search would reveal that there is no 15-85L, and as stated above the seller clearly states the red ring is a joke. Nothing criminal, move on.

Or if you prefer, send the police after this guy...

white-50mm.jpg

Upvote 0

WIDEnet

Where does this go? Oh, that's where.
Jan 23, 2015
neuroanatomist said:
Or if you prefer, send the police after this guy...
white-50mm.jpg
What, that's not a 9001mm f/1.4LL DO IS USM V with free 1DX-II included, from a recently deceased Nigerian prince's collection? Bu-bu-but it has a red ring, AND it's white! I'm calling the FBI, the CIA, and my lawyer to investigate this sophisticated conspiracy!

Upvote 0