Another Canon EOS R series body mentioned [CR2]

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Canon favours CFast over XQD/CFexpress because it mainly belongs to the competition (Sony, Nikon) and it is good enough for the given use anyway, also supporting existing cards that were used in a 1DXII for instance.

Are you sure about CF Express? I thought it was the CF Association doing it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
IBIS, eye auto focus, 4K, etc., as long as matching Sony a7riii in term of functions and price, I will start buying Canon R, including RF 50mm F1.2 L.

Just wait for a decent Canon R body. I think this is what majority of Canon customers plan to do.
I don't need Canon to match the video specs of the Sony (or the Nikon Z) or have eye auto focus as good as the Sonys (OMG the a6400), just like them to be competitive and have IBIS for my stock of EF lenses. and btw have you seen the RF 50 in person, it's giant.

Upvote 0
IBIS, eye auto focus, 4K, etc., as long as matching Sony a7riii in term of functions and price, I will start buying Canon R, including RF 50mm F1.2 L.

Just wait for a decent Canon R body. I think this is what majority of Canon customers plan to do.

Absolutely agree but given 5D IV release and EOS R release, we should temper our expectation a bit.

IBIS, dual card slot, joystick, better eyeAF (won't match Sony), better AF (won't match Sony latest FW), better sensor than 5D IV but won't match Sony and 4K cropped less. It will be at least $300-500 more expensive than the competition

Upvote 0
50 MP
12 FPS
No blackout on shutter
Flippy Screen
Eye Tracking
1000 shot battery life
Silent Shutter
Computational abilities to track BIF
4K Uncropped
Great news Canon have been listening to me at last

Maybe I'm reading too much into it the post ;)

what about global shutter? too much to be asked? :)

Upvote 0
I'm quite happy with my 5D4 but would look for equivalent mirrorless from Canon, incl. good ergonomics. Main reason I would switch from current camera to mirrorless would be lack of the need to calibrate lenses. I still haven't manage to perfectly calibrate my main lens :( at some combination (focal lenght x distance of subject) it still manages to misfocus. And if i manage to fix one combination, it seems another one gets broken.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I don't think it will have sensor stabilization but the CFast 2.0 slot will be there to enable 4k at 60fps.

Why would it go CFast 2.0? Isn't CFast at a dead end now?

Everyone else is going for CFExpress and/or XQD (which are closely related)

Unless they have a warehouse full of CFast 2 interfaces they're desperate to get rid of Canon would be utterly dumb to put a CFast 2 slot in any new camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
50 MP
12 FPS
No blackout on shutter
Flippy Screen
Eye Tracking
1000 shot battery life
Silent Shutter
Computational abilities to track BIF
4K Uncropped
Great news Canon have been listening to me at last

Maybe I'm reading too much into it the post ;)
That would all great, but I don't think you will see 50 MP and 12 FPS in the same camera. I think those will be separate bodies.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Why would it go CFast 2.0? Isn't CFast at a dead end now?

Everyone else is going for CFExpress and/or XQD (which are closely related)

Unless they have a warehouse full of CFast 2 interfaces they're desperate to get rid of Canon would be utterly dumb to put a CFast 2 slot in any new camera.
Actually, the dumb thing for them would be to choose what the competition uses. I already explained it, just seemed to slip by somehow...

Even the C700 uses CFast cards that's what Canon chose and will continue to do so (and it is also backed up by CFA, Arri, and Blackmagic ) until they feel it's worth upgrading, so it's a moot point if it has no tangible advantages at this point in time, but costs more money.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
If the FF ILC market shrinks, like Canon believes it will, then having two camera lines which mostly replicate the capacities of the other makes no economic sense. So, bringing mirrorless cameras to market to replace mirrored cameras makes great sense. Replace and retire. Support the obsolete line, do not replace it with same kind technology.

Expect this trend to continue with the M- and R-lines replacing their respective mirrored counterparts. The replacement rate may be faster than first expected given the rate the market contracts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0