Ants in 5D2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry Muff said:
Put a grasshopper in there. They hate grasshoppers.

Once they're all gone, stick a bird in there to get the grasshopper out.

Cats are good for dealing with birds, but you might want to consider a small one as, despite being a full-frame camera, it might be a bit tight in there.

Cats hate dogs...
lol :p

Upvote 0
M

MazV-L

djmp said:
nicku said:
djmp said:
Can anyone tell me how to remove ants from my 5D2?

the 5D2 is assumed to be weather sealed. how did the ants get in?

Through the hinge on the battery compartment. They are now throughout the whole camera.
Oh no! Hope they haven't built a nest in there!
Ants are repelled by spices like bay leaves and cloves, so you could try surrounding your 5Dii with those :-\
They also supposed to hate orange peel, and chalk, you could try one or more of these, maybe would slowly drive the ants away. You don't want to do anything that will kill the ants inside your camera. Hope this is helpful.

Upvote 0
M

MazV-L

briansquibb said:
djmp said:

Ant powder and a trip the Canon service centre afterwards ;D ;D ;D
For sure, if you kill the ants in the camera, you will need to send it to Canon, perhaps best to do that anyhow even if you succeed in sending the ants packing just in case they've done some damage.

Upvote 0
djmp said:
nicku said:
djmp said:

the 5D2 is assumed to be weather sealed. how did the ants get in?

Through the hinge on the battery compartment. They are now throughout the whole camera.

Wot? I don't suppose same can happen to the Mk.III through the double card slots? :eek: ;)

Canon-5D-III-slots-300x254.jpg

Upvote 0

Isurus

CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
Wisconsin
triggermike said:
Don't do anything which kills the ants in the camera. Open the camera up as much as possible and set it in a protected area, preferrably open to outdoors, and let the ants leave. There's nothing within he camera which should encourage them to stay there.

Agree with this. You could try setting it out with the card door open and spray some sugar water or something next to it. Kill the ants as they come out. Unfortunately, if you do that, you'll have to watch the whole time though as a food source may make them want to make a home in there. Maybe that isn't such a good idea after all...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.