Anyone have experience with EF lenses on R series with the adapter?

Hello 1st post,

On the fence about the 24-105 lenses, I own a full spectrum of EF L lenses. I shoot still and corporate videos. I have always wanted the 24-105 for the range but only for PR jobs. In video I need 4k 60 and the new R6 seems to fit but scared to buy the RF24-105 vs EF24-105 in case I hate mirrorless. However, maybe DSLR's are dying... So anyone have any experience with the EF adapter on an R or RP or maybe R5/R6 if someone has one. Thanks David

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I use the RF24-105 lens with my EOS-R with excellent results. This lens is way better than the EF counterpart on the 5D Mark IV.
You won't regret a buying it.
All my EF lenses work superbly with the Canon EF-RF adapters, maybe even better on the EOS-R than without adapter on 5D Mark IV.
I have no complaints whatsoever.

Upvote 0
EF lenses work very well on RF cameras with the Canon adaptor.
A couple of years ago I bought a Tamron 85mm f1.8
I couldn't get it to focus properly and consistantly on my 5d3, even after spending some time trying to amfa it.
I put it on my R, and it works really well with perfect focus.
Even old Sigmas work really well on the R.
I have an original 24-105 f4, but the new RF version is noticeably better than the original.

Upvote 0

GSpix67

Canon EOS R + EF 24-70 f2.8 L MkII
Apr 27, 2019
England
Hello 1st post,

On the fence about the 24-105 lenses, I own a full spectrum of EF L lenses. I shoot still and corporate videos. I have always wanted the 24-105 for the range but only for PR jobs. In video I need 4k 60 and the new R6 seems to fit but scared to buy the RF24-105 vs EF24-105 in case I hate mirrorless. However, maybe DSLR's are dying... So anyone have any experience with the EF adapter on an R or RP or maybe R5/R6 if someone has one. Thanks David

Like others have said, using EF lenses on the R bodies is no problem at all.
All lenses I used on my previous 80D, all work far better on my EOS R than than they did on the 80D, in both AF performance and sharpness.
One lens that really stood out most and blew my mind with the difference in sharpness was the Canon EF 24-70 f2.8 L MkII. On the 80D it was ok and TBH I was a little disappointed with its lacklustre performance, but the EOS R completely transformed it. It's now very fast to focus and supremely sharp to boot, and is on my R 90% of the time. My other fave lens is my Tamron SP 15-30 f2.8 Di VC USD G2, which I'd rate it as sharp as the 24-70, so if you don't yet have anything in that range, I highly recommend you go try one for yourself. It's built like a tank and is widely regarded as up there with the best of them

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2020
EF lenses work very well on RF cameras with the Canon adaptor.
A couple of years ago I bought a Tamron 85mm f1.8
I couldn't get it to focus properly and consistantly on my 5d3, even after spending some time trying to amfa it.
I put it on my R, and it works really well with perfect focus.
Even old Sigmas work really well on the R.
I have an original 24-105 f4, but the new RF version is noticeably better than the original.
I have similar experience as well. I actually get more keepers with the RP than my old 6D the focusing system of the RP is just far more advanced with its eye AF and face detection. Lately I tried the Sigma 100-400 C on the RP for birding just to see under these situations where the subject is constantly moving and AF speed is critical (relative to other forms of photography like portraits and landscape) how it would perform. I got probably 30-40% more shots that are in focus compared to the 6D. My focusing techniques obviously aren't that good, but holding the photographer's skills constant, the technology really helped on boosting the number of keepers. I can't even imagine if I'm using a R or R5/R6 where animal eye AF is an option.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm not sure if 20mp full frame means 16-35mm is wide vs 80d which it is not.
Yes, 16-35 on full frame is wider than on the 80D. Everything EF that you have will be. The megapixels don't make a difference. It's the sensor size.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
From my experience with the EOS R, EF glass works absolutely perfectly and is honestly better than on EF mount cameras, like others have said. Super snappy as ever, never a problem with speed or any other issue.

On smaller lenses like the 24-70 and 35mm f/1.4, I'm not bothered by the "additional" length of the adapter(adapter takes up the same space as a DSLR would anyway, but just makes the lenses look "longer" since that space isn't built into the body). I can't anticipate myself picking up the RF 24-70 anytime soon for this reason, I'm more than happy to adapt the 24-70, plus you still get IBIS image stabilization.

That said, I just picked up the RF 70-200 though because I'm not a huge fan of how the EF 70-200 2.8 physically looks/feels on an adapter. Just looks very long and is a little front heavy, versus the absolutely tiny, well-balanced RF 70-200. I think the 70-200 2.8 is the only lens where that really is a consideration, though, because any bigger of a lens, and the adapter is totally insignificant to the lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0