Anything Shot with a 1Dx mark II

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Viggo said:
Lol, they’re pretty used to it, and normally I bring it, but we just play, and I’ll try to sneak in a couple of shots here and there, but get about 40 seconds so at least I’m getting better at getting it setup without a lot of testshots 8)

The advantages are power and quality of light. Stability in power and color is insane with Broncolor. It would take a boatload of speedlites to reach 800ws in HS.

But yes, I am using modifiers, I have a few, but my silver BD and a white BD are my favorites. I used to use the Profoto Magnum hardlight reflector I loved, but the one I have from Bron, called p70, is too small for my liking. It needs to be very close to give the quality of light I like.

BTS shot here, iPhone looks almost the same, right? :mad:
Btw I shoot with the BD as close as possible, this is just to show the scene.

Thanks for the explanation.

BD = Barn Door?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
ethanz said:
Viggo said:
Lol, they’re pretty used to it, and normally I bring it, but we just play, and I’ll try to sneak in a couple of shots here and there, but get about 40 seconds so at least I’m getting better at getting it setup without a lot of testshots 8)

The advantages are power and quality of light. Stability in power and color is insane with Broncolor. It would take a boatload of speedlites to reach 800ws in HS.

But yes, I am using modifiers, I have a few, but my silver BD and a white BD are my favorites. I used to use the Profoto Magnum hardlight reflector I loved, but the one I have from Bron, called p70, is too small for my liking. It needs to be very close to give the quality of light I like.

BTS shot here, iPhone looks almost the same, right? :mad:
Btw I shoot with the BD as close as possible, this is just to show the scene.

Thanks for the explanation.

BD = Barn Door?

Beauty Dish, the one you see in the BTS-shot :) Use it a couple of meters away and the light is pretty horrible and uneven, use it up close and there is nothing nicer.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
R1-7D said:
How is everyone's sensors looking these days? Mine was filthy and recently had to have Canon clean it.

I noticed Arthur Morris has recently said he's completely 'soured' against the 1DX2 because of the sensor dust/oil issues and prefers to use his two 5D Mark IVs now.

My first year with it got lots of spots but I sent it off to Canon and it has been great for five months. Haven't really seen any spots, but I have been more careful with the body cap. Although now that I'm CPS platinum I'll probably send the body in twice a year just because.

Can Arty being an explorer of light actually diss one of Canon's products?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
ethanz said:
R1-7D said:
How is everyone's sensors looking these days? Mine was filthy and recently had to have Canon clean it.

I noticed Arthur Morris has recently said he's completely 'soured' against the 1DX2 because of the sensor dust/oil issues and prefers to use his two 5D Mark IVs now.

My first year with it got lots of spots but I sent it off to Canon and it has been great for five months. Haven't really seen any spots, but I have been more careful with the body cap. Although now that I'm CPS platinum I'll probably send the body in twice a year just because.

Lucky me, haven't seen any spots ever, and clean now also. I have tried shootng f22 against the sky, see some dust, but no oil splatter.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
R1-7D said:

I have done quite a bit if sensor cleaning on my 1DXII. It is noticably worse in that area, than my previous 6D and my 5Ds.

Upvote 0
Larsskv said:
R1-7D said:

I have done quite a bit if sensor cleaning on my 1DXII. It is noticably worse in that area, than my previous 6D and my 5Ds.

Thanks everyone for responding on their experiences. Over at Fred Miranda there's a big discussion going on about the problem. It seems dust and oil definitely does accumulate more readily in the top left of the frame on these 1D cameras. Arthur Morris is another one to complain, as I said before, about the issue...which is quite damning given his notoriety.

I suspect more people don't notice debris accumulating on their sensors because of the type of work they do with this style of camera, choosing to shoot with their lenses wide open most of the time. I tend to use my 1DX Mark II as a "do everything" machine, so I immediately noticed the dust and oil accumulation.

I love the camera, but the maintenance gets me down, especially after having had my sensor scratched during a cleaning from a local camera store a year ago. Now I only let Canon clean my sensor, which means shipping the camera away. I shot all summer on my 5DsR in Europe with a total of three dust particles showing as a result. My 1DX2 looked like someone dropped the pepper shaker on the sensor.

Here's two shot from my 1DX2 and 11-24. The first is inside the Pantheon in Rome, and the other is of Neuschwanstein Castle . :)

Attachments

• AJ0I4625-Edit-Edit.jpg
    AJ0I4625-Edit-Edit.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 151
  • AJ0I3590-Edit-Edit.jpg
    AJ0I3590-Edit-Edit.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 221
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Viggo said:
Thought I should keep this thread going, lots of inspiration here :D

Couple of shots from today, just found a tree near a playground we were and got 5-6 shots before my Princess had had more than enough, lol.

1dx2+35 L II, Broncolor Siros 800 L to the left in a silver BD. Sun behind as edge.

Ps; Seriously, what was Canon thinking releasing the 85 f1.4 IS AFTER all the autumn colors are gone? :eek:

Superb lighting! Really great work :)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
R1-7D said:
Viggo said:
Thought I should keep this thread going, lots of inspiration here :D

Couple of shots from today, just found a tree near a playground we were and got 5-6 shots before my Princess had had more than enough, lol.

1dx2+35 L II, Broncolor Siros 800 L to the left in a silver BD. Sun behind as edge.

Ps; Seriously, what was Canon thinking releasing the 85 f1.4 IS AFTER all the autumn colors are gone? :eek:

Superb lighting! Really great work :)

Thanks a lot! :) the Bron lamp made it fun again after all the struggles I had with B1.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Viggo said:
ethanz said:
R1-7D said:

Lucky me, haven't seen any spots ever, and clean now also. I have tried shootng f22 against the sky, see some dust, but no oil splatter.

When Artie was ranting I sent him my sample which showed what to me was obviously fine oil spatter in, I believe, the upper LH corner only. Canon denied there was oil and said I'd have to pay for cleaning. Scott (PBD) has commented that there is too much made of minor spots and so I just kind of put it out of my mind since I have yet to see spots in my real life shots up to about 30k now. To me Artie was just trying to get a new camera to sell it off and I didn't really find that to my liking.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Arthur Morris isn't a Canon Explorer of Light and hasn't been for a few years when they had a clearcut and refocused on more dynamic photographers and videographers. Not sure I am overly keen on many of the new batch but as they included Gregory Heisler I can forgive them a few social media personalities.

And yes, as Jack says far too often we make too much of too little. In a previous thread I linked to I pointed out the real issues that sensor splatter can be. https://garypoulton.com/tag/nikon-d600-sensor-problems/

My 2 1DX MkII's are pretty much the norm for the 1series DSLR's I have owned, they need cleaning every now and again, so I clean them!

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
And yes, as Jack says far too often we make too much of too little. In a previous thread I linked to I pointed out the real issues that sensor splatter can be. https://garypoulton.com/tag/nikon-d600-sensor-problems/

Some of the shots over at Fred Miranda's are actually that bad.

I'd post the gif made by therealthings of his loaner 1DX2's sensor, but I am not sure how to do it on here.

Attachments

• Sensor Upper Left.jpg
    Sensor Upper Left.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 278
Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Viggo said:
ethanz said:
R1-7D said:

To me Artie was just trying to get a new camera to sell it off and I didn't really find that to my liking.

Jack

I think that's kind of harsh. I mean, if the guy isn't affiliated directly with Canon anymore and his camera is indeed acting up, I don't think he's in the wrong to show other users what his situation is. I've gone through everything he's posted with regards to the issue and he has always seemed very forth coming. Wanting Canon to replace something that's faulty doesn't seem to be an unfair expectation.

Furthermore, in the last post where he mentions the 1DX2 he indicates that he still owns it; it just isn't getting the use it used to because he became "soured" from his experience, and because he prefers the lighter 5DIVs for handling.

Upvote 0