Anything Strobist

Dec 13, 2010
yokaew said:
I really like the Godox 360. It is very easy to use. With 360W/S and the ability to do HSS, make it a great choice for outdoor shoots.

That's all the reasons I sold my Quadra and bought the 360. Great to hear you like it. Any recommendations for 70-90 cm Octa where I can place the flash inside and not outside pointing in? I have bought countless eBay cheapo's, but they brake for nothing. In fact, my most recent 80cm stood on a light stand in my living room and I suddenly heard a pop! And sure enough it broke one of the rods, from standing still inside! Wow..

Upvote 0
#1 is from a club night. I shoot their parties every month or so. One 430EX with orange gel, one YN565EX with green gel.

#2 is Roundflash with a gorgeous girl

#3 is a photo montage inspired by FightClub ("Everything is just a copy, of a copy, of a copy..."). Again the 430EX and the 565EX, using the Roundflash as a softbox with orange gel.

#4 is a self portrait with my new SMDV Diffusor-60 I bought yesterday on a Manfrotto-boom. Took it literally like 10 minutes ago, just for funzies. :D

Attachments

• IMG_6234.jpg
    IMG_6234.jpg
    783.4 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_9214_bearbeitet.jpg
    IMG_9214_bearbeitet.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 509
  • Fight CLub Montage_Dave_klein.jpg
    Fight CLub Montage_Dave_klein.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_1274-Bearbeitet.jpg
    IMG_1274-Bearbeitet.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 487
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Thanks for sharing Knut! Awesome stuff. Really nice black and white converting on the last one there.

I was JUST looking at the SMDV boxes and they look great, I was hoping that someone somewhere would make a box that quality, and like the Elinchrom boxes that can take ANY abuse, but for mounting the flash inside, not on the outside. Where I live it's just a matter of hours between the flash tipping over, and I would rather have the box bounce and that's it, than landing directly on the flash. Or if it's a drizzle outside..

Upvote 0
#1 3 back lights with color in post
#2 one stage light on drapes, one strobe with DIY snoot on model 's back & guitar, one strobe for mic, two strobes with blue gels for ambient
#3 same as #2 but with different colorin post
#4 one front light with large umbrella for ambient, two rim lights, one speedlite with orange gel in bag bouncing white crumbled paper

Attachments

• FinianRainbow_lowres.jpg
    FinianRainbow_lowres.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 624
  • Let_it_Go_4web_03.jpg
    Let_it_Go_4web_03.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 617
  • Let_it_Go_4web.jpg
    Let_it_Go_4web.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 612
  • monologue_song_01.2.jpg
    monologue_song_01.2.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 622
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
yokaew said:
Viggo: Phottix makes several softboxes that you can place your lights inside. They are ok. I've not had any issue with them yet. The only thing I don't like about those boxes is that you are limited in tilting movement.

Thanks! My Swedish friend also uses them, but can't get them in Norway, and I wonder, are the rods inside the umbrella boxes any better than the "eBay stuff" ?

I'm aware of the limited tilt action, and it's a large drawback, but it's either that or not taking it with me due to needing heavy sand bags. I just take the chance with the inside mount boxes, lol.

Any one have a link to where I can buy this bracket?

godox-ad360-witstro-3608-2.jpg

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
yokaew said:
Thanks everyone for your kind words.
Viggo: Godox is coming out with a new version of the flash holder.

http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_S_type_Speedlite_Bracket.html

It might be better. I have not used it myself though.

Soo, wait what, it just hangs there tightened with a screw on top? Lol, but I guess it works since they make it that way. I have a simple bracket myself I might use.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 466
Upvote 0
#1 one speedlite with Obis ring as back light
#2 two strobes with medium soft box on left and right
#3 two strobes camera left, one with medium softbox in front the other as rim light, Sun on camera right
#4 three strobes, one with large umbrella for ambient, one with grid camera left, one for backgroud + flare effect

Attachments

• _76.jpg
    _76.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 394
  • _74.jpg
    _74.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 444
  • _75.jpg
    _75.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 444
  • _73.jpg
    _73.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 375
Upvote 0
Viggo said:
yokaew said:
Viggo: Phottix makes several softboxes that you can place your lights inside. They are ok. I've not had any issue with them yet. The only thing I don't like about those boxes is that you are limited in tilting movement.

Thanks! My Swedish friend also uses them, but can't get them in Norway, and I wonder, are the rods inside the umbrella boxes any better than the "eBay stuff" ?

I'm aware of the limited tilt action, and it's a large drawback, but it's either that or not taking it with me due to needing heavy sand bags. I just take the chance with the inside mount boxes, lol.

I have two of these and they work brilliantly. No wobble at the mount even with a 120 octabox http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151181673856?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This seller has decent softboxes. The essentialphoto/pixapro ones are well made (for the price) and don't feel super cheap. Yes they aren't profoto but then what do you really expect for £50? http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/tsl-2009?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Hannes said:
Viggo said:
yokaew said:

I have two of these and they work brilliantly. No wobble at the mount even with a 120 octabox http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151181673856?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This seller has decent softboxes. The essentialphoto/pixapro ones are well made (for the price) and don't feel super cheap. Yes they aren't profoto but then what do you really expect for £50? http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/tsl-2009?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Thanks for the links. I guess I can't see how it can be mounted horizontally and have no support except the hot shoe. I saw that the Godox one had a screw on the horizontal rail that supported the flash under also, it's also a heavy flash making the load on the hot shoe even worse. It's 642 dollars for the ProFoto plus speedring, but in the end, that enables the use if all ProFoto boxes also.. And investment, at least that's whatni have to
Convince myself of, lol.

Upvote 0
Knut Skywalker said:
#1 is from a club night. I shoot their parties every month or so. One 430EX with orange gel, one YN565EX with green gel.

#2 is Roundflash with a gorgeous girl

#3 is a photo montage inspired by FightClub ("Everything is just a copy, of a copy, of a copy..."). Again the 430EX and the 565EX, using the Roundflash as a softbox with orange gel.

#4 is a self portrait with my new SMDV Diffusor-60 I bought yesterday on a Manfrotto-boom. Took it literally like 10 minutes ago, just for funzies. :D

Hi Knut,

How do you wireless trigger those flashes?

Thanks.

Upvote 0