Are There Any More DSLRs Coming in 2018?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Are there any more DSLRs coming in 2018?</p>
<p>We’re getting this question a lot, as a lot of people would love to see new EOS 7D and EOS 5DS series cameras coming to market.</p>
<p>Unfortunately, we don’t have even a hint of another DSLR coming in 2018. Not even a follow-up to the EOS 80D.</p>
<p>This may change over the coming months as we approach Photokina in September, but the current roadmap that we have doesn’t show another camera of significance coming. All we know for sure camera wise, is that there will be one G series PowerShot announced in 2018.</p>
<p>If this changes, we’ll obviously let you know.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
Canon Rumors said:
Are there any more DSLRs coming in 2018?</p>
<p>We’re getting this question a lot, as a lot of people would love to see new EOS 7D and EOS 5DS series cameras coming to market.</p>
<p>Unfortunately, we don’t have even a hint of another DSLR coming in 2018. Not even a follow-up to the EOS 80D.</p>
<p>This may change over the coming months as we approach Photokina in September, but the current roadmap that we have doesn’t show another camera of significance coming. All we know for sure camera wise, is that there will be one G series PowerShot announced in 2018.</p>
<p>If this changes, we’ll obviously let you know.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
Could just come out of the blue with little warning. It is about time for upgrades to both the 7D II and 5Dsr.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I've both a 7DII and 5DSR so maybe its a good thing they are not coming out in 2018.
I never liked the 7DII, the 5DSR has grown on me - its a good camera in ideal conditions.
The 7DII could have been better when it came out.
I think it would have been a better camera with a less dense sensor.
I'm surprised Canon aren't bringing out something, a new high end camera creates a bit of freshness in the brand.
The World Cup is this summer so I was expecting a 1DX III to coincide with it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
I guess the 7D3 is not being rushed forward, which would imply the D500 is not stealing any significant share from Canon.

That's nonsense, don't you read the Internet? The D500 has clearly clobbered 7DII sales, just as the a7III is now clobbering sales of all Canon FF dSLRs. Canon is doomed. Once again, I refer you to the Internet.

;) ;D :-X

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
yes, more mirrorslappers is exactly what the world needs and what the market wants! Big bucks market research of infallible Canon Corp clearly proves it!

image5.jpg

image3.jpg

https://petapixel.com/2018/03/14/death-dslrs-near/

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I was speaking with a Canon ambassador who was totally convinced the 7D III would be announced at Photokina.

[Edit: I should point out that they are NOT told information about release dates in advance so this isn't anything more than his speculation.]

Don't expect a 1DX III before 2020 though.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ahsanford said:
Not surprised at all based on prior estimates.

I guess the 7D3 is not being rushed forward, which would imply the D500 is not stealing any significant share from Canon.

- A

Anecdotally the D500 and 200-500 are wiping the floor with the 7D MkII and 100-400 MkII, go to a very popular birding spot like Gatorland and the black is besting the white in that market by a large margin, along with the third party 150-600's. However the 7D MkII and 400 DO MkII along with RRS tripods are still there in abundance, obviously a different market segment though, I have seen half a dozen 400DO MkII's next to each other and not a Nikon in sight, were Nikon to make a 400DO equivalent I am pretty sure it would make a difference to the body sales. Very few 1DX MkII's and D5's that I can see, but Florida has, generally, good light so the crop isn't as difficult to mitigate.

But as always my observations are an incredibly small market sample (though I'd like to know how many 400 DO MkII's are actually out there) and we are always in danger of extrapolating too much importance from our own experiences. I'm pretty sure Canon have a handle on their and Nikon's sales numbers ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
jolyonralph said:
I was speaking with a Canon ambassador who was totally convinced the 7D III would be announced at Photokina.

[Edit: I should point out that they are NOT told information about release dates in advance so this isn't anything more than his speculation.]

Don't expect a 1DX III before 2020 though.

The 1DX MkIII will be used during the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Out of curiosity is the 80D on its way out? last weekend while shopping for few random accessories I noticed 80D price in India has fallen a lot(was 95995INR when I got it 6 months back now its 81995INR for the 18-135mm Kit). I dont expect Canon will update this camera anytime soons as there are much older DSLRs like 7D 2 and 5DS family that needs updating but still a significant drop in price for a camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
yes, more mirrorslappers is exactly what the world needs and what the market wants! Big bucks market research of infallible Canon Corp clearly proves it!

Do you even understand the graphs you posted? Panderpixel's editorialization aside, what the data actually show is that MILC sales are still basically flat, and that the decline in dSLR shipments is leveling off...and doing so at a level that's well above MILC unit shipments.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ahsanford said:

Chaitanya, see my link above. 90D projection is in there, too. Since the 60D, the X0D line has been on a steady 3 year refresh cycle. That means we should see the 90D next year. It could even come out before the 7D3.

I know this offends some folks' sensibilities that the 7D3 must lead the line with a great sensor and then other lines get to enjoy it, but Canon has shown how impractical that is when you line-leader 7D platform is on such a slow refresh boat. Consider: the 70D got DPAF before the 7D line did, the 80D was the first crop rig to get on-chip ADC and the 7D still doesn't have it, the 80D has more resolution, etc.

I'm not for a moment saying the 80D is a better camera than the 7D2, but the 1DX2 --> 5D4 --> 6D2 cadence of releases and trickle down of tech/features only really works if they are on the same refresh timing schedule. The 7D line is not on the same refresh cycle of the rest of the crop portfolio, so these disconnects in feature set are understandable.

- A

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Well there's one thing that's for sure- canons lineup is beset by cobwebs at this point. The 7d2 was a stinker upon release, and its been crickets ever since. The 6d2...oh man, don't get me started.

They dont even know what to do with the rebels anymore, because the tech is already there to make them fly past even the 80d. And the 5ds/r no longer needs to be two models.

I do like where the M series is going, but other than the 1/5d series, the whole midrange is old and stinking up the joint *80 notwithstanding, but its old).

Cmon canon, wtf already

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
ahsanford said:
ahsanford said:

Chaitanya, see my link above. 90D projection is in there, too. Since the 60D, the X0D line has been on a steady 3 year refresh cycle. That means we should see the 90D next year. It could even come out before the 7D3.

I know this offends some folks' sensibilities that the 7D3 must lead the line with a great sensor and then other lines get to enjoy it, but Canon has shown how impractical that is when you line-leader 7D platform is on such a slow refresh boat. Consider: the 70D got DPAF before the 7D line did, the 80D was the first crop rig to get on-chip ADC and the 7D still doesn't have it, the 80D has more resolution, etc.

I'm not for a moment saying the 80D is a better camera than the 7D2, but the 1DX2 --> 5D4 --> 6D2 cadence of releases and trickle down of tech/features only really works if they are on the same refresh timing schedule. The 7D line is not on the same refresh cycle of the rest of the crop portfolio, so these disconnects in feature set are understandable.

- A

I would much rather have an 80d than the 7d2....that is one canon body i wouldn't want any part of. The tech was old even when it launched, and that was forever ago...no touch screen, no swivel on that great built body....what a waste. Yuck.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Panderpixel's editorialization aside, what the data actually show is that MILC sales are still basically flat, and that the decline in dSLR shipments is leveling off...and doing so at a level that's well above MILC unit shipments.

That's because Canon and Nikon would like to keep printing money. I've said a number of times here that there's only so much penetration mirorrless can have until Canon and Nikon deem it the future and offer mirrorless versions of their highest volume ILCs. That plot flips from 70-30 SLR to 70-30 mirrorless in record time once the two companies decide to do that.

...but that's still going to be a while given that we presume SLRs are still fantastic cash cows for them.

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
AvTvM said:

image5.jpg

image3.jpg

https://petapixel.com/2018/03/14/death-dslrs-near/

That. Is. Hilarious.

Your 'evidence' for mirror slapper extinction is illustrating a near 25% decline in mirrorless sales ::)

Surely, given this world of alternative facts, you can find something better than that to illustrate the 'dominance' of your preferred form factor?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ashmadux said:
I would much rather have an 80d than the 7d2....that is one canon body i wouldn't want any part of. The tech was old even when it launched, and that was forever ago...no touch screen, no swivel on that great built body....what a waste. Yuck.

7D2 = far better build quality, better AF, joystick, better burst, larger buffer, and some here would say better high ISO files, dual cards, interchangeable focusing screens for manual glass, GPS

80D = better low ISO files, tilty-flippy + touch --> better for video, more f/8 AF points for T/C use, wifi

If you're hung up on base ISO performance, have a tilty-flippy or shoot video, you get the 80D. If you need a warhorse, will-not-die-on-you rig without having to move to FF and buy the longest superwhites, the 7D2 is the best choice.

I see those two cameras as being aimed at completely different people, so it makes sense to offer both. The fact that Canon isn't rushing out a 7D3 this year would imply the 7D2 is a consistent money maker for them.

- A

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
ahsanford said:
ashmadux said:

7D2 = far better build quality, better AF, joystick, better burst, larger buffer, and some here would say better high ISO files, dual cards, interchangeable focusing screens for manual glass, GPS

80D = better low ISO files, tilty-flippy + touch --> better for video, more f/8 AF points for T/C use, wifi

If you're hung up on base ISO performance, have a tilty-flippy or shoot video, you get the 80D. If you need a warhorse, will-not-die-on-you rig without having to move to FF and buy the longest superwhites, the 7D2 is the best choice.

I see those two cameras as being aimed at completely different people, so it makes sense to offer both. The fact that Canon isn't rushing out a 7D3 this year would imply the 7D2 is a consistent money maker for them.

- A

Yes they both surely have differentiating features for different markets. I'm speaking only for myself- I loved the original 7d, and the 7d2 seemed like how the 6d2 arrived. I really, really don't like that sensor, that's the deal killer for me. Initial tests were abysmal, and after that,all the other features didn't matter (again, to me).

"The fact that Canon isn't rushing out a 7D3 this year would imply the 7D2 is a consistent money maker for them."

No way to know that, this is the company that prefers to update their DSLR's 3-4 years apart. Could be their internal struggle of how to hobble it to satisfy market segmentation. Could be just par for course. Who knows.

Ultimately, as long as canon enjoys such a large marketshare, there's no rush for them, and that's exactly why Sony is so badly needed right now. I'm a canon guy and they are making me ...well, 'consumer mad'.

Upvote 0