Are two cameras going to replace the Canon EOS R5? [CR]

Jul 21, 2010
OK - thanks, neuroanatomist. I guess it had to have one so that it didn't waste energy by being on all the time when the camera was on with the flippy screen stowed shut.

But is there any way to tell the R5 you want it to turn on the EVF when your eye is there (even when the flippy screen is flipped out) ?
I don’t think so, but if not it could be added in firmware. Though I doubt it will happen.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
How about a cheaper R5 with like 32MP for those who cant afford the R5II...

Who can't afford an R5II? You can get a second job doing unskilled labor for at least $15/hr. Let's assume you want to save $4000, can work 20 hr/wk, and can save 65% of the gross pay. If you started tomorrow (May 15) you could then quit in early October. Adjust the parameters (wage you can earn, hours you're willing to work, savings ratio) to optimize the result for your situation. 3 months is a reasonable target. Or just do better with your primary income.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
How about a cheaper R5 with like 32MP for those who cant afford the R5II and RS or whatever its called. Make it a photo only camera for many of us who do not want video? Price it around $3099. I know. Keep dreaming…
No need to dream, just get the original R5, which is already down to £2770 (on the grey market with a 3 year warranty), and will get even cheaper as the launch date of the mythical R5ii gets closer.

I guarantee that Canon won't make a photo-only camera, neither will they make a model that slots between the R6ii and the R5 in MP or price.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Look at the menu, page 3 of the yellow pages with the wrench symbol.
Page 764 of the (German) manual
Thanks. I found the manual (at least the English version) to be somewhat unclear. But testing it myself, the AUTO2 setting does what @usern4cr is looking for on my R3 and R8, so presumably on the R5 as well.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
No need to dream, just get the original R5, which is already down to £2770 (on the grey market with a 3 year warranty), and will get even cheaper as the launch date of the mythical R5ii gets closer.

I guarantee that Canon won't make a photo-only camera, neither will they make a model that slots between the R6ii and the R5 in MP or price.
It's now only 55% more from Canon in UK. Oh well, I have had nearly 3 years good use from mine. But, it's madness paying £4299 for it now.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It's now only 55% more from Canon in UK. Oh well, I have had nearly 3 years good use from mine. But, it's madness paying £4299 for it now.
It always was madness to pay the exorbitant prices charged by Canon in the UK.

I got mine from Panamoz in Feb 2021 for £3280 with a 3 year warranty.

Later in the year, prior to a safari, I'll get a backup body - it will almost certainly be another R5, and should be down to £2500 by then.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Better is which way? Resolution, magnification, fps, brightness, contrast, all of the above?

I'd prefer more magnification (a wider apparent field of view). I'd also prefer a default eyecup that can be removed, with an optionally purchased Canon one that was custom fit for the right eye and wrapped around more of the eye area so that there was no side lighting seeping through. If they did this then maybe they'd offer one for the left eye for those that prefer using it.

As far as resolution, fps, brightness & contrast, it's always nice to have more but I'm pretty happy with what the R5 has at the moment. However, if you do have a significant increase in apparent FOV then you'd probably want an increase in resolution to go along with it or else you might notice the pixel/text granulation more.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'd also prefer a default eyecup that can be removed, with an optionally purchased Canon one that was custom fit for the right eye and wrapped around more of the eye area so that there was no side lighting seeping through. If they did this then maybe they'd offer one for the left eye for those that prefer using it.
They did that for the R3. It rotates 180°, so it can be used with either eye. Canon calls it an eyecup, I think facecup is more accurate – it's huge! Pics here.

As far as resolution, fps, brightness & contrast, it's always nice to have more but I'm pretty happy with what the R5 has at the moment. However, if you do have a significant increase in apparent FOV then you'd probably want an increase in resolution to go along with it or else you might notice the pixel/text granulation more.
Honestly, the R8 is fine for me. EVFs in general take a bit of getting used to coming from the OVF of a DSLR. I've found the tradeoffs more than worth it, especially being able to see exposure and DoF in the viewfinder. The R3's huge EVF is nicer than the R8's smaller one with lower resolution, but at the end of the day the viewfinder is a tool to select composition and easily see shooting information. Current EVFs do the job, even at the lower end of the lineup.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Better is which way? Resolution, magnification, fps, brightness, contrast, all of the above?
Almost everything, with the exception of magnification and fps. I find it unnatural in its rendition, especially in high contrast situations. OK for macros, landscapes with "normal" contrast, but horrible in a forest in spring (that's my typical "I hate this EVF" situation. ;)
The R 3's EVF is in a different league!
But don't misunderstand me, I still like the EOS R. Not one single issue, like freezing or other errors, nothing!
Edit: like usern4CR, I'd also like a removable eyecup with the option for a R3 type eyecup.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would take a R5sr style camera. FF, 80MP, 16-bit sensor tuned heavily for photographic dynamic range and color fidelity. Get rid of the flip screen (because no need with no video modes), replace it with a much higher resolution, bigger screen.
I'd be good with all of that, but I still want the articulating screen. I'm getting tired of laying in the mud or contorting myself to compose some low shots. I've actually had a few compositions where I needed to be in front of the camera when composing because the back of the camera was pressed against something, so setting the screen facing forward would have been amazing rather than trying to get my phone to connect and act as the back screen, or using trial and error shooting until I get the comp right.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
They did that for the R3. It rotates 180°, so it can be used with either eye. Canon calls it an eyecup, I think facecup is more accurate – it's huge! Pics here.

Honestly, the R8 is fine for me. EVFs in general take a bit of getting used to coming from the OVF of a DSLR. I've found the tradeoffs more than worth it, especially being able to see exposure and DoF in the viewfinder. The R3's huge EVF is nicer than the R8's smaller one with lower resolution, but at the end of the day the viewfinder is a tool to select composition and easily see shooting information. Current EVFs do the job, even at the lower end of the lineup.
R3 eyecup? Gimme gimme. And quick, please! This is a minor-major improvement, I just hope the next R5 gets it.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA

Thanks, neuroanatomist. That R3 eyecup is HUGE! Way bigger than I was hoping for. From the picture it seems that it is too big to fit an eye without going over the nose, etc. But that must not be the case, so I'm guessing that if I can see one in person then it'd be an OK fit. Since they put that on the R3, there is hope that they might do something like it with a R5 successor, but somehow I doubt that they will since they'll probably want the look & feel to be that of the R5.

What I had in mind was a non-rotating version, shrunk down as small as possible. Without the rotation it should be drastically smaller and fitted for a single eye without blocking the flip out screen. Anything that blocks that from coming out might be a deal-breaker in itself for me, since I don't want to have to be taking it on & off all the time and I do use the flip out screen frequently.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
5DII and 5DIII had very few extra pixels, so Canon could also do a 50 MPIX R5II and an 80 MPIX R5S.

50MP to 80MP is only a 26.5% difference in linear resolution. The difference between the 5D Mark III and the 5Ds was 50.8%. (22MP vs. 50MP) Even the linear difference with the 5D Mark IV, which came out a year after the 5Ds, was 29%.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
5DII and 5DIII had very few extra pixels, so Canon could also do a 50 MPIX R5II and an 80 MPIX R5S.

The 22MP 5D Mark III was effectively the "1Ds Mark IV" without the integrated grip and larger battery. It was introduced in 2012, the same year the 18MP FF 1D X replaced the 16MP APS-H 1D Mark IV and the 21MP FF 1Ds Mark III was discontinued.

The 5D Mark II had a Rebel level AF system that was one of the most inconsistent Canon has ever put in a DSLR.

The 5D Mark III had a pro level AF system that was very close to the one in the 1D X. They even used the same part number for the PDAF sensor array, just different firmware.

At the above linked blog article Roger Cicala of lensrentals.com said about the 5D mark III:
Despite my well-recognized modesty, I will also point out that when the 5D Mk III was first released, and Canon fanboys were dropping off cliffs right and left, I said “the 5D III is no minor-upgrade camera; it’s an entirely new camera using the old camera’s name”. Its autofocus system is certainly not a minor upgrade–it’s moved over to the big-boy camera side.

The difference between the 5D Mark II and 5D Mark III was not resolution, it was AF and other features that make a significant difference to pro shooters.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0