Are Two EOS M cameras coming in 2020? [CR1]

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Huh, well I guess it makes sense that most 7D users were using EF lenses to begin with. The EF-M mount gives you the ability to use tiny crop lenses when you want to, and then use a big super telephoto EF lens. I'm sure Canon will release a higher-end EF-M adapter for this.

I'd be more interested to know if a M7 would use a LP-E6NH or not, I'd think birders/sports would want a bigger battery. A real 7D replacement would also probably need an optional battery grip, but I think this would represent a big change in how Canon is developing the M series.

Will be really interesting to see where this goes for sure.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

illadvisedhammer

buggin out
CR Pro
Aug 19, 2015
Nice to know. I have been using the 55-250 mm on my M5. Yes, it's super sharp and pulls in amazing images. I have seen reviews that say the 55-200 is on par or better. Maybe it's a manufacturing issue? In any case, I'll stick to the 55-250 STM.
Sample size of one each the 55-250 was better and the range is great, many more successful shots, can’t say whether it was sharpness , contrast or what. It’s also got great balance with the adapter, it’s basically the only lens I adapt to the M anymore

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If Canon uses the same 32MP sensor in the M6 Mk. II (as rumored and seems likely), then is it technically possible for the M7 or M50 Mk. II to have Dual Pixel Autofocus II as on the R5 and R6?
Some Canon users may not know that the M6 Mk. II already shoots faster (14FPS) than the 7D Mk. II with likely a higher autofocus hit rate. The M7 could get a larger buffer which would be very useful.
Will these new M-series cameras get the DIGIC X processor? If so, would that enable non-line skipped 4K readout? If so, heat could be a problem, so hopefully the M6 Mk. II 4k quality would be an option.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I know this was in the lens rumors, but since someone brought these rumors back up in the other thread I thought it was interesting to think about in terms of this camera: https://www.canonrumors.com/five-new-ef-m-lenses-for-the-eos-m-lineup-coming-cr1/

"EF-M 15mm f/2 STM
EF-M 52mm f/2 STM
EF-M 62mm f/4 Macro IS STM
EF-M 18-45mm f/2.8-4 IS STM
EF-M 100-300mm f/5.6-8 IS STM"

That 100-300 rumor could be an interesting birding lens depending on its build quality, and the 18-45 f/2.8-4 would make sense as a kit lens for a higher end body. I definitely think that a 52mm F/2 would be the prime lens they mentioned, as well. Would be a tinier version of the RF 85 f/2.

Upvote 0

hamish

Canon 7D II
CR Pro
Apr 15, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
I was using a 200D but started getting interested in Birds in Flight. Earlier this year I bought a second hand 7DII from eBay. I briefly considered an M5 or M50 before getting the 2nd hand 7DII but they just didn't have the right level of specs, build quality and so on. While the 7DII is "only" 20MP, I'm getting some very nice shots: landscapes using the EF-S 24mm prime, and Birds In Flight with the EF-S 55-250 IS STM.

I don't have a big budget. Pretty much all of my gear is second hand. There's no way (apart from selling a kidney on the black market or divorce) that I'm going to be able to afford a FF mirrorless like the R6 or R5, especially when you factor in the cost of new RF lenses (adapting my existing EF-S lenses is pointless). Sorry Canon, but at that price point in AUD, it's just not going to happen.

However ... if this new "high end" M camera has even some of the specs that folks here are suggesting like weather sealing, 32MP sensor, 14fps+, and so on, then I'd be *very* tempted to sell most of my current kit and invest in the M line. I know that's still a significant investment, but if I can pick up just the body and EF/EF-S adapter, then I can continue to use my EF-S lenses, and swap over to native EF-M over time.

Two card slots seems to be one of the things people are wanting in a "high end" M. Personally, I don't see Canon doing that. It's not really part of the M series design and with the Canon online imaging service thingy (can't recall the name, and I know they're still ironing out the issues with it not working recently), I'd be surprised if they offer two physical card slots, and have only one, plus the ability to backup via Bluetooth or WiFi to a mobile device. I know that chews batteries, and I'd *really* hope they use a better battery than the LP-E17 from the 200D/250D/M50, and go with the LP-E6 series. Also many of us already have a bunch of those, so that's an advantage.

Anyway, for this current DSLR shooter who is very aware that DSLRs are dying and mirrorless is the way of the future, bring on the CR2s, so I can start planning and saving for my next camera!

Upvote 0
Whereas I think they could do a converter for ef and sacrifice focus at infinity (which I believe I read would be the casualty), I think Canon research indicates the number of people with EOS M and EOS R is limited (to people who contribute to this site and similar ones - ha ha)

I tried the 100-400 Ii ok the m6 ii and the balance is difficult - the grip / body is too small and the weight for me required a monopod mounted to the 100-400. So possible but awkward.

ive used the 16-35 f4 and 24-70 f4 with more success but I still struggle a little with the grip / body on the m6 ii.

I think the EOS-m series is good - small and lightweight. I don’t want them to fiddle battery sizes unless there’s an adapter for us. And for the body, maybe an expansion grip when I need it. Similarly I can use a few select Ef lenses but I can’t see me trying to use rf ones - again size and balance. I’d prefer them to stick with the current parameters and improve them with an m7.

the m6 ii is closer to an EOS or EOS R from menus and controls but there are still some differences I think they could improve on but nothing earth shattering.

so yes please Canon a body with IBIS would stop me buying a second m6 ii, and an add on grip please (not too big) but don’t make it too good as I’d have to sell that and buy 2 new ones, lol...

I just picked up the sigma trio in HK for a good price - my Canon ef-m ones were a poor batch clearly. I think a faster 320mm f/4 would be nice - any bigger of faster would again I think impact size / balance, and maybe a 10mm f/2 with AF. As mentioned, bring me some which I can’t get in other brands, even the manual focus ones are ok...

Upvote 0
Sadly it cannot be a 7D replacement while the longest M focal length is 200mm at 6.3 with a plastic mount.

I sold some (most of my M glass, kept some primes) and now mainly use an EF-S 15-85 STM and EF 70-300 II USM on my M50 via the adaptor. Both balance quite well. And for fun I've put my 100-400 Mk II on a tripod and put the M50 on the back. Looks mad, but works. Just got a used x 1.4 converter. I might give that a shot with the M50. (986 equivalent by the way ;-).

The beauty of the M system is the adaptor. Mine cost £23. Lots of lovely glass to hang off the bodies and the EF-S range has some nice compact lenses.

Upvote 0
I think the introduction of the M7 and M5 II will mark a clear division between the two two strands (body form factors) of the M range. The M200 and M6 to represent the compact end.

The other part will have built in EVF (which also makes a design statement). Then in order to fit two card slots, IBIS etc. the M7 and I guess the M5 II will end up putting on a bit of size and a hint of weight. I guess the bodies might be a bit taller, to accommodate the tech and our extra fingers. That would also help balance larger legacy glass via the adaptor. Think a slimmed mirrorless version of the 250D. Or something just a bit smaller than the RP. It would also add space for an additional wheel or two.

If they manage to put some weather sealing in the M7 and some subset of animal eye focus they will have a winner. I'll be there for pre-order.

(I love my RP. However my rucksack with the body, 100-400, extender, adaptor and FR 24-105 alone is a lump before I add a 50mm, batteries, filters and all the other stuff.

My M50 and 4 lenses weighs a fraction of my other kit and fits nicely in a shoulder bag).

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
If the R5 has "overheating problems" in video, will the M7 have even bigger problems, presumably being a smaller body? (I have an R5 in order but will probably use it almost exclusively for still.)

It would be a smaller body, but it wouldn't be as weather-sealed as the R5/R6, so heat can escape. I think that's why the Sony A7S III overheated when it was exposed to the sun.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Are there specifications on the RF mount connectors and the protocols used to talk with RF lenses? Visually, the RF mount has the original 8 connection points from the EF mount, plus the additional 4. And if I'm not mistaken, doesn't the EF to RF adapter use those 8 connection points to communicate with adapted EF lenses? If that's the case, wouldn't it also be possible that RF lenses are using those same 8 connection points for basic lenses functions (aperture, auto-focus, lens info, etc)? I know there's a ton to look at here if that sort of thing can be dissected and looked into. But from a visual standpoint, there may be more backwards compatibility in the RF mount then Canon has showed us so far.

Of course there are specifications, but Canon are keeping them secret as they always do! It might be a fun experiment to cover up some of the pins on an RF lens and see what pins are actually needed, but yes it's these new four pins that do the high-speed communication the newer lenses rely on. And no, I very much doubt they'd work with only EF protocols sent to them.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Im dying to offload my m50, which ive never been able to get into a flow with. Its too light, too small. My M1 has been a workhorse for years, but even for that one, with a metal body, needed a photodiox metal plate grip to make it fully usuable.

My 11-22 also is so small the handling suffers. I dont have big hands but its also too small. Its still very new and the zoom is stiff as hell (not goign to break it in, likely just sell it also). Ive really come to appreciate lenses with internal focusing, as my 10-22 efs is still a joy to work with all these years later. (adapted to M bodys as well).

I tested the m6ii and aside from a full swivel, it handles beautifully. But it doesnt have ibis...i guess im goign to have to wait more. I REALLY want that camera! Help :oops:

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Im dying to offload my m50, which ive never been able to get into a flow with. Its too light, too small. My M1 has been a workhorse for years, but even for that one, with a metal body, needed a photodiox metal plate grip to make it fully usuable.

My 11-22 also is so small the handling suffers. I dont have big hands but its also too small. Its still very new and the zoom is stiff as hell (not goign to break it in, likely just sell it also). Ive really come to appreciate lenses with internal focusing, as my 10-22 efs is still a joy to work with all these years later. (adapted to M bodys as well).

I tested the m6ii and aside from a full swivel, it handles beautifully. But it doesnt have ibis...i guess im goign to have to wait more. I REALLY want that camera! Help :oops:

Looks like internal focusing lenses are dying out in Canon's land. And internal zoom also

• Haha
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
A random thought I had--what if the camera itself took smaller batteries, but the extension grip was able to take LP-E6NH or possibly LP-E19? I know Nikon does that with some of their cameras being able to be powered by bigger batteries in a grip. Would allow the M7 to have a smaller internal battery for a small form factor, but for serious users they could get a full-size grip and much larger batteries.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0