Are you looking for fast autofocus prime lenses for your EOS M camera? Viltrox may have what you want

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Third-party lens maker Viltrox has recently added three new fast prime lenses with autofocus for the EF-M mount/EOS M cameras, and they’re affordable.. While Canon doesn’t appear to be interested in making such lenses for EOS M, we may have to rely on third-party manufacturers going forward.
You can buy Viltrox EF-M lenses directly on Amazon.

Viltrox EF-M 23mm f/1.4 $299 (approx. 35mm equivalent)
Viltrox EF-M 33mm f/1.4 $259 (approx. 50mm equivalent)
Viltrox EF-M 56mm f/1.4 $279 (approx. 90mm equivalent)

You can learn more about Viltrox lenses at their official web site.

Continue reading...

Sounds like the only way we will get new EF-m lenses for the system. #canon have dropped the ball, lost it and thrown the hands in the air. Appears despite an ordinary update to the M50 lately they have decided to end the line here. With the R series and RF lenses so pricey one would have thought it might pay to at least tease EF-m users a little more at least try to keep us in the system. Fuji is looking better every day.

Upvote 0
Sounds like the only way we will get new EF-m lenses for the system. #canon have dropped the ball, lost it and thrown the hands in the air. Appears despite an ordinary update to the M50 lately they have decided to end the line here. With the R series and RF lenses so pricey one would have thought it might pay to at least tease EF-m users a little more at least try to keep us in the system. Fuji is looking better every day.
Indeed Canon's statement of intent for RF and the resulting progress makes their position towards EF-M painfully clear.

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
Indeed Canon's statement of intent for RF and the resulting progress makes their position towards EF-M painfully clear.

Well Canon apparently never intended to make a wide variety of lenses for the M system: All they've ever produced since 2013 is four zooms and three primes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Canon will produce EOS M cameras as long as people buy them and with the lenses... it's gonna remain the same. Slow or no progress as it always has been.
This is all Canon has: 11-22mm, 15-45mm, 18-150mm, 55-200mm, 22 f/2, 28mm f/3.5, 32mm f/1.4

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Well Canon apparently never intended to make a wide variety of lenses for the M system: All they've ever produced since 2013 is four zooms and three primes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Canon will produce EOS M cameras as long as people buy them and with the lenses... it's gonna remain the same. Slow or no progress as it always has been.
This is all Canon has: 11-22mm, 15-45mm, 18-150mm, 55-200mm, 22 f/2, 28mm f/3.5, 32mm f/1.4
first kit lens missing : 18-55mm :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I'll be looking for reviews on these! A ultra fast prime might be fun.

I think the M line is not really viewed by Canon as for the types of people that frequent these forums. Its a vlogger/interested amateur brand of camera for them. I've heard world wide that they sell considerably more M cameras than EF cameras. Don't know if this is still true. But the point is that its for 'the masses' and 'they' aren't going to have a bag full of glass. So this is probably why Canon hasn't made too much. What they have covers the niche of vlogging and street photography, and that's what the targeted users use it for.

I just got the 22mm f/2 for my M50. It makes it like a point and shoot sized package. It fits in a jacket pocket. Its fantastic. I use it around the house for random stuff, and take it with me for candid moments when we are out and photography isn't the main thrust of our outing. But it wouldn't replace my DSLR or full sized mirrorless for 'serious' work.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's nice to have 3 more affordable autofocus models to choose from.

I noticed that the EF-M models are even a bit cheaper than their Fuji mount counterparts.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I bought their $100 control ring adapter for my R and R5. A upgrade was issued for the R5 and there were no understandable instructions on their site. I found instructions elsewhere. It shows version 1.00 in my cameras after the new firmware, very confusing. It works, it feels cheap, but otherwise I can't complain. I don't look forward to firmware updates and the haywire method for doing them. I have read that it does not work with all lenses, but it works with the ones I've tried.

To find the current firmware installed, you connect it with a USB cable then use windows explorer to view a version.txt file n the adapter. I believe lenses work the same way.

ef-r6.JPG

Upvote 0