Article on F-Stoppers; R5 falling apart?

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
So was pretty much every DPR review of a Canon ILC. We know the overall impact of that on Canon's market share.
I wouldn't totally underestimate the incidence of continuously repeated criticism. Troll-sponsoring must pay off somehow, otherwise it wouldn't take place. As the infamous Dr. G. once said during WW II, if you keep repeating a lie, it eventually becomes a truth. Some (many?) politicians seemingly share this opinion...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I wouldn't totally underestimate the influence of continuously repeated criticism. Troll-sponsoring must pay off somehow, otherwise it wouldn't take place. As the infamous Dr. G. once said during WW II, if you keep repeating a lie, it eventually becomes a truth. Some politicians seemingly share this opinion...
Well, I'll definitely keep this article in mind so I know who can help spread my complaint when the mirror in my R3 gets stuck.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
The mirror of my 5D (mk 1) fell off its mount on the last photo of one of my earliest paid events. Didn't have a backup camera, so I was lucky. That was a known issue and a new mirror was glued on by Canon.
That’s the only time I can think of when a camera actually failed on me.
When I reported it on CR in about 2012 some wag replied to say that ‘at least I had the FF mirrorless everyone wanted’ !

• Haha
Upvote 0

vikingar

EOS R5
May 13, 2022
I did a poll in Oct 2020 at the height of the reports of freezes before the firmware upgrades that sorted out the problems. Only 7% had frequent freezes then. Mine hasn't frozen since then in over 100,000 shots. https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/how-frequently-does-your-r5-freeze-lock-up.39462/
7% is not the whole story. An additional 26.8% said "Occasionally", including me. It's a huge pain when it happens, and usually it's exactly when you need it most and heavily use it. I could have selected "Frequently " just as well as occasionally vs frequent is subjective.

But like with any poll that allows nuance and a graduated response, often only the most extreme responses actually matter. Which ones depends on who's interpreting the results, unfortunately. It's a common issue with polls.

But I will say it's true I haven't had a freeze in months. Of course I also didn't play around with the settings much compared to when the camera was new. Maybe they have indeed fixed it, that would be great.

EDIT: Just froze again today, when waking up the EVF. Latest 1.8.1 firmware, single SD card in the camera (no CF), original battery at 60%, RF 24-105 f4L. They haven't fixed it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
7% is not the whole story. An additional 26.8% said "Occasionally", including me. It's a huge pain when it happens, and usually it's exactly when you need it most and heavily use it. I could have selected "Frequently " just as well as occasionally vs frequent is subjective.

But like with any poll that allows nuance and a graduated response, often only the most extreme responses actually matter. Which ones depends on who's interpreting the results, unfortunately. It's a common issue with polls.

But I will say it's true I haven't had a freeze in months. Of course I also didn't play around with the settings much compared to when the camera was new. Maybe they have indeed fixed it, that would be great.
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Or, if you want: liars, damn liars and your favourite politician.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I just read an article on F-Stoppers about problems with the R5. I've had mine for about 1.5 years and haven't had an issue, including the dreaded freeze up. How about you R5 owners? Is your camera good or is it being less than expected?
Speed Test
David
you would have read about it here as so many of us have one or more of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've had mine for a couple of years. It has frozen on me maybe three times, and not this year for some reason. It has been with me to Africa, Yellowstone, you name it. I've never had a hiccup with it. I've generally had really good luck with all my cameras, nikon and canon. I would not hesitate to recommend the R5 highly to anyone, especially at the much lower price point in the market.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
So was pretty much every DPR review of a Canon ILC. We know the overall impact of that on Canon's market share.

Yeah, it would have been 65% but now it's 50%.

Prove me wrong.

Of course you can't, that's a completely arbitrary assertion on my part and can't be proved wrong (or right), but it's also valueless for determining what's true for that reason.

We can't know what the market share would have been without those DPR reviews. But they probably did do some damage, even if not nearly enough to knock Canon out of the #1 spot. Likewise the constant barrage of S*n* trolls.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Continuously repeating the same lies or criticism has always been an efficient way of influencing individuals or masses, as proven by political propaganda. First expressed by the infamous Dr. Goebbels: "a lie only has to be repeated often enough to become a truth".
So, constant critcism of a camera's drawbacks will eventually convince uninformed buyers to look elsewhere. This is what Sony have understood, with their "army" of internet influencers (cripple hammer, DR, video-overheating, 3rd party etc...).
I would never underestimate the effect ot such an insidious propaganda.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I mean its F-Stoppers....
Yes I visit the site once a month or so, but they need stuff to write about and its slow. I've used and abused my R5 and its been awesome. "Falling apart" is a strong strong phrase to denounce a camera model.
But this is exactly what the Sony fanbois want to read.
Such phrases are certainly intentional, the goal being to harm, not to inform!
To say there could be a "freezing issue" is ok, yet to say a camera is falling apart???

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
But this is exactly what the Sony fanbois want to read.
Such phrases are certainly intentional, the goal being to harm, not to inform!
To say there could be a "freezing issue" is ok, yet to say a camera is falling apart???
Somehow, I expect someone directed her to write specific things with an agreement about financial compensation.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The comments are amusing. Like the guy who says, "The error 20 got more frequent and I eventually took it to Canon for repair and they replaced the shutter and the main PCB board of the camera, costing £630 and 6 weeks away. Not very reassuring for a camera less than a year old," then when asked about the warranty comes back with, "The camera was just out of warranty when I took it into repair." So the warranty is 'just less than a year' or you're having problems with a camera not yet a year old then decide to wait a few weeks for the warranty to expire before seeking repair. Ok.

Upvote 0