AstrHori to launch RF 25mm f/2.8 2x-5x Macro Lens for $249

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Chinese manufacturer AstrHori is bringing another niche and cool lens to the RF mount, this time in the form of an RF 25mm f/2.8 2x-5x Macro lens. While you can still use the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1x-5x Macro lens on your RF camera, it’s still a much more expensive way to go. AstrHori 25mmF2.8 2X-5X

See full article...

Reactions: 1 users

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
The MTF values at 5x are a joke. OK for a toy with large magnification but blurred details.
I mean...5x magnification for $250....you have to take it for what it is. If you need better performance at 5x, you gotta spend more $$$. Should not be surprising.

For that price it could be quite fun.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I ask myself how they did get the jumping spider to sit still until the got this lens manually focused. Maybe they cooled it in a liquid nitrogen freezer down?
You set the focus, or rather magnification and then move the lens till the subject is in focus. That’s what I do with my MP-E and I don’t drug or cool any of the jumping spiders I takes pictures of.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Probably an M42 mount microscope objective adapter.
Then all you need is a microscope objective, or a whole microscope. Personally, I have a Zeiss Stemi DV-4 Stereomicroscope and a basic Fisher compound microscope for personal use, with adapters to fit an EF mount to the eyepiece. The Zeiss Stemi is a fun little scope that goes up to 32x.

DV-4.jpg

That reminds me, there was a little series I meant to post on the Fungi thread with the same subject shot with the M6II adapted to the 100mm Macro, the MP-E 65 and the Stemi. I just posted it here.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
You set the focus, or rather magnification and then move the lens till the subject is in focus. That’s what I do with my MP-E and I don’t drug or cool any of the jumping spiders I takes pictures of.
I shot in Europe here and there some zebra jumping spiders with my EF 100mm Macro and extension rings with AF, but I had to act really fast. There is a short moment when they seem to be stunned by the reflection in the lens, I guess it could be the mirror image of themselves, but that's usually a not much longer than a second. I keep your technique in mind, when I buy an MP-E (I were several times very close to hit the buy button). With a fast fps burst it should be possible to get keeper images more easily.

Upvote 0
Good to see the lens dammed just from MTF charts... ;-)

Fortunately, I have one here to test so I can look at the actual images I get from it.

A quick test with the lens on an RP [at 5x and f/5.6 on the lens ring] and with a stackshot rail suggests it could be good value for the money
I'll be sure to check how it compares with my venerable MP-E65 ;-)

8255 stack 3k.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0