B&H and Purolator

P

Pincher

As per the post on the site aboot the Purolator and B&H mash up. I ordered a lens from B&H, and I used the Purolator shipping option. I placed my order on Tuesday, November 23rd. I received an email from B&H on Wednesday, November 24th at 8:30AM, informing me that my order was shipped; they gave me the tracking number in that email. As of today, Thursday, November 25th at 4:12pm, Purolator has no information about my package.

FedEx/UPS>>>>>Purolator.

S

scalesusa

It was shipped yesterday, it usually takes at least 1 day to show up, however, I'm interested in what happens, Purolater might have problems like DHL.

You should e-mail Henry Posner at B&H and let him know, after a few more days. Shipping companies only count work days in their delivery time, so conceivably, the first day could be either Friday or Monday.

USPS works weekends but not holidays, and they work Friday, so Monday would be day 4

Upvote 0
P

Pincher

As of this 7am morning there was no information on Purlator's site. Then, this morning at 9:15am, I received my lens from Purolator. About 20 minutes later, their site had all the scan information starting from when the package entered Canada; there is no information about the package's movement in the USA.

Good delivery service, but poor online tracking.

Upvote 0
C

chaos2k

I placed an order on Jan 6 2012 and I arrived Jan 11 2012. I was happy with the time frame. It didnt show up on puralator site for a few days but I find half the time you get your item before they update.

I do like that with this option you know your duties and taxes upfront. I had orderd from adorama a few years back and paid extra for shipping becuase they said no duty this way and I still got dinged

Upvote 0
P

photophreek

Pincher, I'm assuming that you are a Canadian. A third party shipper in the US picks up your package from B&H, not Purolator. This third party shipper/courier service ships the package to the closest border crossing and hands off the package to Purolator. Between the time the package left B&H and got to the border was American thanksgiving and there would be at least a one day delay. I'm not certain the value of what the lens you bought, but if it was more than $1600 cdn, then Canada Customs places an automatic 24-48 hour delay so that Purolator, your customs broker, can provide Canada Customs the nafta certificate and Customs is satisfied with the contents of the package. Apparently, Canada Customs have a real mental block about camera lenses with a value greater than $1600.

The first scan that Purolator does on your package would be at least 48 hours from the time it left B&H and the time the package is received at the border by Purolator. BTW, scaning packages is not realtime and apears on the Puolator site 24 hours after the scan. The next scan is when it reaches Purolators sort facility in Toronto. The third scan is when it reaches the delivery depot. The last scan is when it is on the truck for delievery. Total time could be upwards of 4 business days. BTW, Purlator does not process packages on the weekend

The alternative is to buy the lens from Adorama and Adorama does not collect the HST at time of purchase and hands the package to Fedex or UPS and charges you $30-$50 and you pay the driver at your door the HST, and various shipping and brokerage fees which could run the shipping bill upto $75 or more. The cost to ship from B&H to Canada for your lens probably was $15 which I think is a great deal. Your experience sounds pretty normal.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
I live in Canada and buy all my Canon gear from B&H. I have had no issues with Purolator and all my orders usually gets to my house 2-4 days after ordering. I do a lot of business with UPS and FedEx for other non camera related stuff, but I must say for me the B&H + Purolatro combo is working very well.

For any issues with a package from B&H when received from purolator, I suggest anyone call the service dept of B&H. They are very customer oriented and usually are able to help, or put a claim request if necessary.

Upvote 0
I've ordered from B&H a number of times and never had any problems with Purolator shipping to Canada. If B&H used UPS or Fedex it would cost triple the amount of Purolator or more, and that doesn't include UPS' outrageous brokerage fees.

Take Adorama for example, they have a wide selection of gear and decent prices like B&H, but I don't order from them because they only offer UPS and FedEx.

I just looked at the shipping cost alone on a 1D Mark IV:

B&H - Purolator $35.43 (2-6 days)
Adorama - UPS Worldwide $71.90 (1 day)
Adorama - FedEx International Economy $100.40 (2-4 days)
Adorama - FedEx International Priority $124.40 (1-2 days)

When I order form B&H I usually get my packages in 3-4 days, which is fine for me. Add to this B&H collects the brokerage fee which is usually about $6-7 versus UPS being $50 or more for anything of value.

Upvote 0
H

henryp

JR said:
I live in Canada and buy all my Canon gear from B&H. I have had no issues with Purolator and all my orders usually gets to my house 2-4 days after ordering. I do a lot of business with UPS and FedEx for other non camera related stuff, but I must say for me the B&H + Purolatro combo is working very well.

For any issues with a package from B&H when received from purolator, I suggest anyone call the service dept of B&H. They are very customer oriented and usually are able to help, or put a claim request if necessary.

Thank you. We're glad the Purolator option is working for you and very flattered at your "very customer oriented" comment too.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
henryp said:
JR said:

Thank you. We're glad the Purolator option is working for you and very flattered at your "very customer oriented" comment too.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Your welcome. While I have some local shops here in Montreal where I live, customer service, price and in stock items are the main reason I decided to buy from a New York based online merchant instead! On average I would say that most of my orders from B&H get to my home in 2 days. Keep it up guys!

Now can you do something about that 1DX pricing! - lol

Jacques R.

Upvote 0