Bears in the Wild

Dec 17, 2013
dpc, the photos are great, and the one of the young cub on its hindquarters sniffing the air is too cute for words.

I have never seen bears in the wild, but as they (black bears) have been reintroduced to Arkansas and are starting to show up regularly in Southern Missouri, I have for the first time actually gotten a bear keg..............because what are we photographers doing around the end of the day? Golden and blue hours! Finding the "right" tree or tree pair and doing the PCT bag hang in the pitch dark is not my idea of fun. Rangers are now recommending bear precautions for the first time in our state MO.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
dilbert said:
dpc said:
Any pictures of wild bears? I'll post a few. My brother-in-law and I were down in Waterton Lakes National Park, Alberta, Canada, a couple of weeks ago looking for bears to photograph. We encountered ten. No grizzles, just black bears.

National parks advertise the minimum safe distance to wild bears as 100 yards.

How close were you?

10 yards/10,000 salmon. he was startled by the shutter sound a couple times and booked it back into the trees to hide his fish, in case i got hungry and came and took it i guess. grizzlies =/= blackies

i love how the light plays off the brown fur and makes a million shades of brown. around here we only get black ones, not brown. (we call those bruins not sure if its correct though) the black is very hard to get any detail in the sun.

sedwards that bear is a monster! ive never seen one so big.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
dpc said:
Any pictures of wild bears? I'll post a few. My brother-in-law and I were down in Waterton Lakes National Park, Alberta, Canada, a couple of weeks ago looking for bears to photograph. We encountered ten. No grizzles, just black bears.

National parks advertise the minimum safe distance to wild bears as 100 yards.

How close were you?

Maybe 20-30 metres; just a guess (22-33 yards approx.)

Upvote 0
NancyP said:
dpc, the photos are great, and the one of the young cub on its hindquarters sniffing the air is too cute for words.

I have never seen bears in the wild, but as they (black bears) have been reintroduced to Arkansas and are starting to show up regularly in Southern Missouri, I have for the first time actually gotten a bear keg..............because what are we photographers doing around the end of the day? Golden and blue hours! Finding the "right" tree or tree pair and doing the PCT bag hang in the pitch dark is not my idea of fun. Rangers are now recommending bear precautions for the first time in our state MO.

Thanks! Yes, the little ones were cute. They were bouncing around a lot, just like young children might. Mother was very aware of their movements. At one point, she lost sight of them and took off with an incredible burst of speed to find out where they were and shepherd them back within her line of sight.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
whats a bear keg?

there are 2 babies down the road and i saw their mother teaching them road safety the other day but wrong lens and traffic behind me. maybe this weekend i will search out some bears you guys have inspired me.

if you come to bc in september there are a lot of outfits that can take you to see grizzlies fishing, or if you get lucky you can find your own. some pretty swanky resorts specialize in grizzly spotting. i got super lucky but i took note of where he was and if im lucky i can find more in similar conditions. *fingers crossed*

heres another bear, too young to know to run off the road, but not the best picture, sorry.

Attachments

• 20140531-IMG_2564.jpg
    20140531-IMG_2564.jpg
    682.8 KB · Views: 860
Upvote 0