Best lens for a vacation -- can only choose one

I've thought about this a lot lately. Got back from a vaca with my 5D3 and two lenses - 50 L and Voigtlander 20. Love the results from both lenses. But didn't enjoy switching lenses. And so I thought next time I should bring just one lens. Splitting the difference (50 + 20 = 70 /2 = 35) I feel like the 35mm f/2 IS would work real nice for me. Don't own it now but only know it by reputation. It's light and compact. And f/2 is pretty nice. I shot the 50 more open than f/2 a bit but probably could have done with f/2.

Upvote 0
Controvertial idea, perhaps, but if you're worried about space why not go for your 24-105 and pick up a cheap 40mm f2.8 pancake lens. You can get them very, very cheap and whilst it won't match the 35mm 1.4 for pure IQ and bokeh you'll be able to capture those shallow DOF shots with something that costs less than £100 and fits in your jeans pocket...

For what it's worth I have always travelled, so far, with my 6d and a range of lenses but took a risk on this summer's holiday and used my M3 with the 11-22, the 50mm f1.8stm and the 22m prime. Delighted with the shots I took and for convenience it was just a delight. The whole kit cost less than £500 and fits in a tiny camera bag.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
boogaloo said:
Controvertial idea, perhaps, but if you're worried about space why not go for your 24-105 and pick up a cheap 40mm f2.8 pancake lens. You can get them very, very cheap and whilst it won't match the 35mm 1.4 for pure IQ and bokeh you'll be able to capture those shallow DOF shots with something that costs less than £100 and fits in your jeans pocket...

For what it's worth I have always travelled, so far, with my 6d and a range of lenses but took a risk on this summer's holiday and used my M3 with the 11-22, the 50mm f1.8stm and the 22m prime. Delighted with the shots I took and for convenience it was just a delight. The whole kit cost less than £500 and fits in a tiny camera bag.

I own an EF 40mm. Nope.

One vacation lens to rule them all. I insist.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
boogaloo said:
Fair enough. I get the whole 'one lens' thing if you're going for one single prime. I love that kind of challenge of just making one decision and going with it. I did that in Barcelona and loved it (just used the sigma 35mm 1.4). If you're already considering a zoom then you're cheating ;)

Well, I was excited about that 35L II but DXO says it's a waste of time because it is soft at f/22. [Giggle.]

DXO telling me something is not good is the best endorsement possible.

- A

Upvote 0