Best practices for preorder.

Mar 25, 2011
I stay away from Amazon, they often are not first to get cameras. Your best bet is to have a local Canon dealer get one for you. You will be paying full price, no discounts. Dealers get a allocation, and often cannot fill all the early orders, Amazon and B&H seem to come up short more often, simply due to the high volume of orders. As long as you order the first day, you will be fine.

I once made the error of pre-ordering from Amazon, after two weeks, they discovered a error in their listing, and kicked out all the pre-orders. Everyone lost the advantage of ordering early. I've never made that mistake again.
Any of the Authorized dealers will get you a camera from the first batch, Amazon is the only one I'm aware of that sometimes get their batch a week or two or more later.

Pick your dealer and order one. Do not place multiple orders, it helps no one when you do that.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
PBguy said:
I was at my local camera store yesterday and asked about pre-order and they said no one had asked them yet since it hasn't been announced but they were happy to start a list.

I'm officially #1 and hoping it gets announced next week as expected.

Yes, that's the best way to do it! Keep local stores alive.

Upvote 0
Just bear in mind that while pre-ordering and getting a camera on or soon after official launch day may be exciting, it also means 1) you're guaranteed to be paying the highest price that camera will ever sell for, 2) you're first-in-line to experience any potential bugs, manufacturing faults, design oversights, etc.

Pre-ordering used to be important when SLRs were flying off the shelves and you had to pre-order if you wanted any hope of getting the camera in the first 3 months of its launch, but these days you'll find them in stock both online and in store within a week of release day, and that week will give you time to read some reviews, hear of any downfalls, and maybe even wrangle a small discount or bundle. Pre-ordering is something which only the manufacturers benefit from (the shops don't really benefit because they have to deal with the headache of it and shops make very little profit on body sales; typically less than 5% of the final sale price represents profit for the store) and as a consumer you're better off waiting to make sure the product actually works as intended before you pledge a grand and a half to it.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
PBguy said:
I was at my local camera store yesterday and asked about pre-order and they said no one had asked them yet since it hasn't been announced but they were happy to start a list.

Yup, besides, the beauty of buying online is savings, which you'll not get in a preorder anyways.

Upvote 0
PBguy said:

I usually do BH Photo, by that was when I lived in the middle of nowhere Iowa. I went to a local dealer yesterday and put in a pre-order, as above, they said I was the first to ask. Crossing my fingers they get an order filled at launch. I have a BIG trip coming up which necessitates I move to FF. Hoping I can get on the train early. I'll have this body until it dies, and I've been waiting a long time to make the jump.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
aceflibble said:
Just bear in mind that while pre-ordering and getting a camera on or soon after official launch day may be exciting, it also means 1) you're guaranteed to be paying the highest price that camera will ever sell for, 2) you're first-in-line to experience any potential bugs, manufacturing faults, design oversights, etc.

Pre-ordering used to be important when SLRs were flying off the shelves and you had to pre-order if you wanted any hope of getting the camera in the first 3 months of its launch, but these days you'll find them in stock both online and in store within a week of release day, and that week will give you time to read some reviews, hear of any downfalls, and maybe even wrangle a small discount or bundle. Pre-ordering is something which only the manufacturers benefit from (the shops don't really benefit because they have to deal with the headache of it and shops make very little profit on body sales; typically less than 5% of the final sale price represents profit for the store) and as a consumer you're better off waiting to make sure the product actually works as intended before you pledge a grand and a half to it.

Good points. I will use restraint. Let's see how long I can wait. I am super excited about this camera! Not much into vido and no professional work so 4K and dual slots are of no concern to me everything seems stellar! Hope reality is as nice as specs.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
My take (others may have different perspectives/experience):

I agree that you will pay an early adopters' penalty for pre-orders and that you will be a beta-tester for bugs. Patience can be a virtue.

But, that said, don't expect the cost to drop significantly for the first 3-6 months after release, so if you can't wait longer than that, you are unlikely to save much by waiting.

The problems with new releases will generally be fixed quickly with firmware. Recalls and significant problems are rare. (I'm talking real problems, not the imaginary ones that circulate on the internet, for example: "I get noise when I underexpose by six stops! This camera is worthless!")

Here is my opinion. Take it only as an opinion:

1) It's great to support your local retailer. If you have a local retailer. But, for many of us living in small to mid-size cities in the U.S. the only local retailer we may have is Best Buy. Not that there is anything wrong with Best Buy, in fact, read on to see why you might want to purchase from them.

2) No guarantee that a local retailer will receive stock as soon as the large retailers. In fact, they may not get one in stock as quickly as the big boys.

3) I'm not fan of Amazon (Don't like their business practices, the way they treat their employees and the fact they don't pay local property taxes), but just because one person once had a problem with one product one time does not make a trend. So, take anything someone else says about their experience with Amazon with a big grain of salt.

4) I like to use other peoples' money. Since you won't be shopping for the best price, you can still shop for the best financing. I bought my 1DxII from Best Buy last year because I could use my Best Buy card and get 12 months interest free financing. I paid it off in about 10 months, so I got to use their money for free and never paid a cent in interest. In the meantime, I didn't have to take any money out of savings and was able to pay it off using my regular cash flow. I always take advantage of interest-free financing when it is available, even if I could pay cash, because I prefer to use their money, rather than deplete my savings. You just have to have the discipline to manage your money. Best Buy isn't the only option, most retailers offer interest-free plans through Pay Pal, which I also use.

5) Some people try to use retailers that don't collect sales taxes in their state. That's a personal choice, but you should know that most state's still expect you to pay a use tax (equal to the sales tax), so you owe the tax whether or not the retailer collects it. (Sure, you can be a tax cheat and not report the purchase, but that's a personal moral decision).

Finally, here is my personal "best practices" for Canon camera and lens pricing (varies significantly by product and this is meant only as a rough guide.)

1) The first thing you will see is "bundles" with worthless products like cheap filters, crappy camera bags, flimsy tripods and silly accessories like lens cap leashes. The big stores will attach an inflated value to the products and tell buyers they are "saving" $XXX dollars by getting the bundle free. You will still be paying full retail for the camera.

2) In a few months, Canon will likely offer a printer bundle rebate. You might be able to sell the printer for few bucks on eBay and reduce your net cost slightly, but is it really worth the trouble? Especially if it's one of the cheap printers. Check the eBay listings first to get a realistic idea of what you may net from selling the printer.

3) At some point in the first year, Canon will add the 6D II to its rebate program and you may save $100 or so. This is one way Canon adjusts their price to fit the market demand.

4) The first savings you are likely to see will be the Canon Price Watch Street Price program. This will be from an unnamed, but authorized dealer. The dealer can't advertise the price themselves because it violates MAP, but you will see a small discount initially -- maybe only $50.This usually take 3-6 months. Some of the retailers are Canadian and the lower price is a result of currency differences. Canon warranties cover both the U.S. and Canada, so no worries about that.

5) Eventually, the market will set the price and you will see the price settle in, usually for a few hundred or so below the original price at release. With the 6D the market price fell pretty rapidly. That was probably the result of the camera being overpriced in the first place. The 6DII seems like a much better value proposition, and I will be very surprised if it ever drops to the same level as the 6D. When it comes to pricing, the market always wins, but this can take up to a year and will fluctuate throughout the life of the product.

6) In about a year, the Canon refurbished store will start offering the camera at a discount. Once that happens, you will know the price has stabilized. Initially, the refurbished store price will likely be at or above the Canon Price Watch street price. But, eventually, the refurbished store will start offering limited time 10% or 15% off on refurbished prices. These are often a great bargain for lenses, but not always for cameras because street prices may actually be less or only slightly more.

So, what's a person to do? If you think you can wait six months, then waiting is probably prudent. If you know you will break down within a month or two of release, you might as well buy it right away and enjoy it. Just shop for the best financing option, or if you are lucky enough to have a local retailer, you can try to negotiate. I would not expect them to cut the price, but you might get a few freebies that you can actually use, instead of the junk you will get from a national retailer.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
aceflibble said:
Just bear in mind that while pre-ordering and getting a camera on or soon after official launch day may be exciting, it also means 1) you're guaranteed to be paying the highest price that camera will ever sell for,

Actually, I fell for the hype of the Nikon D800 and asked my local dealer to get one for me at full retail, of course. He was able to get it in 2 weeks, while others were waiting for B&H to get them for 3 months.

So, I used it for a month and a few thousand actuation's, after purchasing three high end Nikon lenses (Used). While the camera was ok, it was not good at high ISO's, and Nikon lenses at the time were no match for my Canon lenses.

So, after a month, I sold it on ebay for $300 over retail cost, they were that much in demand. Then I resold the lenses for a nice profit as well. I don't ever expect that to happen again.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
CanonCams said:
So, the chance of getting the 6D MK II within a week or two of the release is slim? :eek:
Your chances are very high as long as you pre-order. Release dates will be 4-5 weeks after announcement, but all of the first shipments will be pre-ordered. You have 4-5 weeks to change your mind.

On the day of the new model announcement, just pre-order. As long as you stay away from Amazon, you will get one shipped to you on the day of release, or you can pick it up. Note, different countries have different schedules, Chinese dealers frequently ship before they are supposed to, while some countries receive cameras later than say the US and Canada.

The ones who don't get cameras right away are ones who procrastinate for a few days and then pre-order, or wait for reviews and then stocks are out. Then, they complain loudly that they have to wait. B&H gets lots of orders, but order early and you are fine.

Upvote 0
CanonCams said:
So, the chance of getting the 6D MK II within a week or two of the release is slim? :eek:
Your chances are very high as long as you pre-order. Release dates will be 4-5 weeks after announcement, but all of the first shipments will be pre-ordered. You have 4-5 weeks to change your mind.

On the day of the new model announcement, just pre-order. As long as you stay away from Amazon, you will get one shipped to you on the day of release, or you can pick it up. Note, different countries have different schedules, Chinese dealers frequently ship before they are supposed to, while some countries receive cameras later than say the US and Canada.

The ones who don't get cameras right away are ones who procrastinate for a few days and then pre-order, or wait for reviews and then stocks are out. Then, they complain loudly that they have to wait. B&H gets lots of orders, but order early and you are fine.

Good to know, thanks.

Just need to find another dealer other than B&H. I like them but they started charging sales tax in NJ. :'(

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Adelino said:
aceflibble said:

Good points. I will use restraint. Let's see how long I can wait. I am super excited about this camera! Not much into vido and no professional work so 4K and dual slots are of no concern to me everything seems stellar! Hope reality is as nice as specs.

Will be! :)

Upvote 0