Full Time Hobby Photographer - 1DX - 7 D M II
Jack Douglas said:
Click said:
PiNo said:
Another Short eared Owl ....

Beautiful pictures. Well done.

Love them, so sweet. We have them in Alberta but I never see them. :(

Jack

Jack , We now have a good season in Belgium, it is a rare species here. It is the first time after so many years we see them .There is a location where they regularly hunt for sunset .A good year with lots of prey.

Upvote 0
I rather like the dark background as IMO it lets the bird pop. If it was in a flower bed then the flashes could be angled to let it show or another flash could be used as a background light, maybe there would be enough daylight.
I amazes me that even 4000 shutter speed can only just begin to freeze their wings. It should also be noted that at these shutter speeds it's all high speed sync.

My goal is to try to catch a hummer eating a midge or whatever tiny insects they catch, that is a difficult set up.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks for your observations, applecider.

For those of you have followed my posts a bit you'll recall my May adventure to Haida Gwaii (previously Queen Charlotte Islands). I have just done a blog for tourism, focused on Copper Bay and the eagles - take a peek.

http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-at-copper-bay-on-moresby-island

Jack

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks click. Those were the first significant BIF shots I've done and I got to practice for nearly a week. Big and slower but still challenging for me. It was such a treat being around so many eagles. But those white heads - what a pain. Not so with the younger birds.

Jack

Really nice Jack! Your BIF images have made huge leaps since the last time I was on here!! Wow! Makes me realize I how much I need to get back out there!! Thank you! ;D

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Krob78. Having sold the 1D4 I'm back to the 6D and BIF certainly is not its strong point. Now, I'm biding my time since the 1D4 went in order for the 1DX2 to become a reality. I simply grew to like some pro features and couldn't bring myself to accept the 7D2 although it clearly is serving its customers very well.

CR has been indispensable to me in climbing the learning curve and comments such as yours and many others have really helped me persist.

Jack

Upvote 0