BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I think what all of us need to keep in mind is that what may appear absolutely true within a person's limited perspective may indeed not be true in all cases. Regarding feeders (as I think ISV was alluding to) if someone were to visit Alberta in January, where in spite of global warming, it can be -40C and watch the poor creatures (not hummers :giggle:) struggle to stay alive (because -40C is not our routine temperature; it's usually more like -15C), I'm willing to bet they would be the first to recommend feeding. I just replenished my suet.

I also recognize that not every photographer is a purist and a photo of a cute bird at a feeder might just make their day. I don't want to spoil anyone's fun.;)

January 2017

Pileated Woodpecker Jan 2017_s_2237.JPG

Jack

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
This thread is largely an opinion-free area. Be careful with stating opinions - there may be others who don't like Photoshopped birds, for example, but keep their opinions to themselves.

Agree, good point, and the feeder photo statement was out of line and I apologize if I offended anyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I think what all of us need to keep in mind is that what may appear absolutely true within a person's limited perspective may indeed not be true in all cases. Regarding feeders (as I think ISV was alluding to) if someone were to visit Alberta in January, where in spite of global warming, it can be -40C and watch the poor creatures (not hummers :giggle:) struggle to stay alive (because -40C is not our routine temperature; it's usually more like -15C), I'm willing to bet they would be the first to recommend feeding. I just replenished my suet.

I also recognize that not every photographer is a purist and a photo of a cute bird at a feeder might just make their day. I don't want to spoil anyone's fun.;)

January 2017

View attachment 189073

Jack
I love this one Jack!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Ah ha, and you have no chance of photographing him where you are. Shame on me, I shouldn't be so selfish. ;) Thanks for the complement.

Jack
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:! BTW I don't believe you are really ashamed - one of the very good things in this topic is that we can see some "exotic" birds (what is exotic for you is not exotic for me and the opposite...). And it wasn't compliment - it was a statement!

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I have published a couple of flying grey herons but I couldn't resist uploading this one from yesterday as it has the most detail I have ever taken and it's a better pose. And for Jack, it filled up much of the frame.View attachment 189086

Looks good Alan - which of your gear did you use in this shot?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Looks good Alan - which of your gear did you use in this shot?
The site downsized the image I uploaded and stripped out the EXIF data that I leave on for those interested. The image was probably too large. Here is a crop of the head and neck and the EXIF data should be preserved for downloading. It was 40m away, and I didn't have time to switch to a very fast shutter speed, only 1/1600s

DSC_6011-DxO_Heron_flying-croppedHeadjpg.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0